2012 Seat - Page 32 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayle View Post
S-V-STRM-65-12 Canyon Dual Sport-Suzuki V-st
SEAT-CF Carbon-Fiber Leather seating
STITCH-STANDARD Standard Stitch, seating
SIDE-CFV Carbon-Fiber embossed vinyl sides
WELT-OR Orange Vinyl welt #50
Quick question. I see that the Corbin site says that this "carbon fiber leather" is real leather laminated w/ a carbon look laminate of some sort. Is this cover slippery like plain leather would be or grippy or in the middle somewhere? Thanks! b

Last edited by greywolf; 12-04-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Trimmed huge quote
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default What is the best seat option.

I have skimmed through this thread it is seams that like everything else the best seat option is the one that works best for you. I am doing a UCC on my new 2012 DL650 ADV next July and have ordered Dan Vessel's backrest as well as Yann's skid plate with highway bars. I was also planning on getting another Beadrider as I had put over 100,000 miles on the one on my Harley FLHTCU. The issue I am having with the stock seat is that the riding position has me slightly leaned forward which leads to some uncomfortable sack movement when braking. Anyone else having a hard time getting comfortable on the 2012 stock seat or finding the riding position just a little off. I had thought about risers to bring the bars up and back but did not know if the cables would accomadate. I would be interested in hearing Greywolf weigh in about his Russell Day Long. I have never had one but have heard their praise in the LD community. I am looking to do an SS5K on my way to Fairbanks, AK from Key West, FL so I need to find the most comfortable combo I can. Any insight appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Moderator++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-convert View Post
I would be interested in hearing Greywolf weigh in about his Russell Day Long.
Covered at the end of http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...hats-like.html

Rotating my handlebars back slightly did the trick for me but different strokes, etc..

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just installed the seat concepts foam and cover kit on my 2012 seat pan. So far it is much improved. We ran out of summer up here so I have not tried any long rides as of yet but did 1.5 hours the other day without issue. I used a coupon code for a discount. It may still work, try VSTROM2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-convert View Post
I have skimmed through this thread it is seams that like everything else the best seat option is the one that works best for you. I am doing a UCC on my new 2012 DL650 ADV next July and have ordered Dan Vessel's backrest as well as Yann's skid plate with highway bars. I was also planning on getting another Beadrider as I had put over 100,000 miles on the one on my Harley FLHTCU. The issue I am having with the stock seat is that the riding position has me slightly leaned forward which leads to some uncomfortable sack movement when braking. Anyone else having a hard time getting comfortable on the 2012 stock seat or finding the riding position just a little off. I had thought about risers to bring the bars up and back but did not know if the cables would accomadate. I would be interested in hearing Greywolf weigh in about his Russell Day Long. I have never had one but have heard their praise in the LD community. I am looking to do an SS5K on my way to Fairbanks, AK from Key West, FL so I need to find the most comfortable combo I can. Any insight appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Saddlemen Seat

So I am someone who is usually fine with the stock seat. I rode it for 11 hours in one day, with a hour and a half long break in the middle. That ride made me feel like I couldn't justify the money for a new seat.

Lucky for me, I have a buddy who works at Saddlemen. They finally finished development on their "Adventure Seat" for the '12 Wee and needed some photos of it on a bike, so he shipped one out to me. What a sweet birthday gift. It arrived today and I hope to have it installed tomorrow. I will likely be riding it this weekend, 3 hours each way. I will report back early next week with some photos and thoughts.

From what he said it is not on sale yet, but they hope to have it available soon.

If I like it, I may have a spare stock seat for someone looking to try one of the other mods.

Initial thoughts: 1. The seat looks nice.
2. It has more padding towards the sides and a little less in the center, you can see where the stitching is in the photos. I will see if that is noticeable once I sit on it. Maybe it will relieve some pressure on the jewels that many have mentioned.
3. It has some d-rings on the side of the pillion seat to strap a bag done with. It has some nice velcro covers that conceal the d-rings when you aren't using them. The straps that the d-rings are attached to are riveted to the seat pan and not sewn to the seat material. The label on the bottom says you shouldn't strap more than 20 lbs to the seat using these.
4. You need to take the rear mounting bracket off your current seat and install it on this seat.

2012 DL650AL2 - Touratech side racks and top rack with zega pro panniers (38L and 45L) and top case with rapid trap system (38L); Richland Rick mirror extenders, kickstand foot, and fork brace; Altrider crash bars and skid plate; Vehicle Artz reflective orange rim tape; SW-Motech centerstand; Prototype Saddleman adventure seat; Oxford handlebar muffs; Thule bicycle rack.

Future thoughts: Windscreen? Exhaust? Hand guards? Heated grips? Accessory power? GPS Mount?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Eleven hours with one break on the stock seat? My butt/brain can tolerate half that abuse... on a good day.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesler View Post
Eleven hours with one break on the stock seat? My butt/brain can tolerate half that abuse... on a good day.
I figured I would get to a point where it was no longer comfortable during the 800+ miles I rode that day, but it just felt better and better. I also was surprised at the energy I had after that without getting fatigued. I did make a couple other fuel stops on the trip (for the bike and myself), but the longest one was ~15 minutes. Left at 7:30 am, had an interview in Charleston, WV and got home at 11 pm that evening. I think it must have been more than 11 hours on the bike, now that I think about it, but it has been several months and many more miles on the bike, so the memory is foggy. Recounting the hours, it had to have been 6.5 hours each way, so I lost some time in there somehow. Not that it matters. I also couldn't have averaged 72 mph on the roads I was on, which would be 800 miles in 11 hours (well, it would be possible, but definitely pushing it).

Awesome ride though, and I got the job. I think the fact that I rode a motorcycle that far for an interview made an impression.
2012 DL650AL2 - Touratech side racks and top rack with zega pro panniers (38L and 45L) and top case with rapid trap system (38L); Richland Rick mirror extenders, kickstand foot, and fork brace; Altrider crash bars and skid plate; Vehicle Artz reflective orange rim tape; SW-Motech centerstand; Prototype Saddleman adventure seat; Oxford handlebar muffs; Thule bicycle rack.

Future thoughts: Windscreen? Exhaust? Hand guards? Heated grips? Accessory power? GPS Mount?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

I slid some gel under my stock seat, only because I caught another wrist rest on the way to the bin. It's a little better, but the stocker has been fine on four hour rides (no stops).

Mainly helped with the slight forward slope on the seat, and reduced the need to move around to 'insane distance'

Pete
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Ordered

Ordered the Corbin with backrest yesterday. Called California and customized things quite a bit. They were VERY nice. Danielle and Jessica in particular. Super helpful. If the seat shows up as ordered I will have to give them top billing. So far service has been spectacular! I'll post up pics and final comments when it arrives in 5-6 weeks. (They said probably sooner but that's what they are telling people now to be safe.) I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

ride365, you will notr find anything wrong with your corbin. mine is perfect! but when you can't get it to fit on your bike and you think you just wasted $500 bucks, call jessica back. she will make you feel stupid for not reading the instructions on line. or read the instructions on line before you get it. or....rub a little WD40 on the rubber mounts under the seat for the first time. fits perfect! Corbin is good people and good product!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement