Performance Mods... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

Cool Performance Mods...

Not sure how this thread will go, but I'll start it. Just wondering what kind of options are going to be out there for squeezing some more HP out of the motor and upgrading the suspension etc.

I assume a Power Commander 5 will come out for the bike and I already see the Akrapovic exhaust it out for it. Then there are the shadetree mechanic mods too which I like the most!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Really? You bought a V-strom and want more power?... A V-strom is a V-strom... No offense but, if you want power you should have bought a bike that has it...

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited by CanadianFZ6; 03-06-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFZ6 View Post
Really? You bought a V-strom and want more power?... A V-strom is a V-strom... No offense but, if you want power, you should have bought a bike that has it...

Well-said
Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Moderator++

You can spend a lot of money to squeeze out very little power. The suspension can be greatly improved though. Use the Google custom search box at the top of the page for Sasquatch, Intiminator, Race Tech, Elka, Sonic Springs, Progressive, and aftermarket shock.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
You can spend a lot of money to squeeze out very little power. The suspension can be greatly improved though. Use the Google custom search box at the top of the page for Sasquatch, Intiminator, Race Tech, Elka, Sonic Springs, Progressive, and aftermarket shock.
I would have to agree with the suspension part, Pat... However, the OP should at least take the Strom out and see if he really needs to upgrade anything... And yes, not everyone is fine with the Strom's suspension, but I am completely fine with my Wee's stock setup... The FZ6 is another story...

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Never argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited by CanadianFZ6; 03-06-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Bless you, oh power hungry consumer, you will make some manufacturer happy and the economy soar!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:35 PM
$tromtrooper

I've heard others say that the Akri Exhaust swap will save you 13 lbs in weight.........that's like having a performance mod in itself. I think Blair has done an SV650 Cam swap in the vstrom which probably moved the HP to a different level in the RPM range......maybe added a HP or two, along with a re-map??? There is an electronic "gizmo" (not a Power Commander) that you can get for the DL1000 that plays with the power curve somewhat (tricks the bike into thinking it's in 6th gear (an ATE....ATR, or something like that......someone will chime in shortly), but not for the 650. Alot of the guys on the SV Forum would shim the front of their gas tanks to allow more fresh air into the air cleaner assembly.......ain't gonna happen on the strom tho (too much plastic).
Trying to mod the vstrom motor is like trying to hop-up a Massey-Ferguson......you can always improve "something", but at what cost $$$ per HP???
Old 03-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

I really would have liked a 750 V strom, but alas I could throw money at it and have one. We'll see when I ride it a bit. Maybe my modding days are over and I'll enjoy it just like it is.

But, shedding 13 lbs with an aftermarket exhaust is an upgrade to me. I don't like the sewing machine sound and like to hear my bike.

I had an 2001 SV650S and it was a nice bike. I'd just like that bit of power if the Wee is so de tuned compared to it.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

The best way to go faster is to use your brakes less...practice slow in,fast out..practice being smooth through the corners..

Why Motorcycles? Because Golf, Soccer, Football and Baseball only require One Ball
Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
We'll see when I ride it a bit. Maybe my modding days are over
Nope. Not a chance. Your modding days have just begun, just not in the way you seem to be used to. From here on in you will become one with the rubber on the road and soon find out that the fun is in the improvements in handling, protection, and comfort. These bikes take us to the edge of the Earth and back again and the best part is, we want to keep going from there. The adventure is is in where you can go, not how fast you can do it.

Read through some of the ride reports and then decide which one you want to do first. Eventually, you'll want to do them all. I promise.

Ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement