Performance Mods... - Page 5 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Okay, go for a ride dammit is the general concensus.

Got the shims where I want them and motor all back together, ran it again to check for leaks and it's all good. I'll go for a ride tomorrow afternoon with a seat of the pants dyno report.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Thumbs up

I am sure you will be very happy,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Ride report from yesterday: It was really cold when I started, in the upper 30's. Motor ran just as it did with the stock cams. Seat of the pants dyno says it has a bit more torque, maybe 2-3 hp like others have said. I noticed a bit of clicking above 7000 rpm in the first 40 miles or so. But it seemed to dissapear after around 75 miles. I got in about 100. It burns richer due to the temps and the more black color in the exhaust tip.

Looking around I see that the new 650 uses the same rotor as the earlier models, BUT the Gladius uses a different rotor/flywheel. Lighter I assume. Looks like buying a Gladius motor would be the way to go.

I'd say if you can get a good deal on the cams it's worth it. So far so good. Not sure if I will put the pistons in this winter or not.

Box of fun parts!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_1632.jpg (95.6 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by D.T.; 12-04-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

I found a Gladius rotor on fleabay for $75 and it will be here on Thursday.

I have the stator cover off and bolt removed from the rotor on the L2 now. I'm not 100% the gladius rotor will work yet. Need to check out the diameter and pickups when it gets here.

Worst case is I'm out $75 bucks.

EDIT: It looks like I have an extra rotor. The Gladius rotor will work, but it's pretty much the same. Not lighter or smaller. Only difference is the metal over the magnets on the Vstrom rotor. Gladius magnets are exposed. I'm leaving the stock rotor on.

Last edited by D.T.; 04-18-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollingsBob View Post
The best way to go faster is to use your brakes less...practice slow in,fast out..practice being smooth through the corners..
Also, late braking.

It took me years of off-road racing to learn that late braking is a huge difference maker in lap times. Once I stopped coasting downhills and coasting into turns, I got much faster.

Not really applicable to legal street riding, but I bet a lowly 650, if kept in the proper gear, and using good technique, would dust a lot of sportbike riders ona track.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Motor swaps and rebuilds are all fine and dandy but are there any "free mods" to the performance of the bike? I've got several extra BHP out of my other bikes by reading the forums and doing the free mods they suggested - simple stuff like removing flapper valves for noise control, cutting a wire to fool the ECU into using a more aggressive fuel map, grinding 1/2" off a throttle stop to get full throttle, opening up the airbox, etc, etc

Bueller????
Old 07-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Tried 2.5 gallons of 102 octane fuel today.

$7.75 a gallon, sure noticed a bit more get up and go.

I know I'll get the "waste of money" BS, which it is. But I bet $$$ that you get 2-3 hp out of the stuff.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Tried 2.5 gallons of 102 octane fuel today.

$7.75 a gallon, sure noticed a bit more get up and go.

I know I'll get the "waste of money" BS, which it is. But I bet $$$ that you get 2-3 hp out of the stuff.
I just can't imagine where the extra hp could come from, given that btu per gallon is the same. Spend more for a dyno comparison and we'll start to believe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 07-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Thumbs up

, Where did you pick up the HP in a can Aviation Fuel,

Lots of racers out here use and love it as an alternative to C12 or C16,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair
Old 08-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

check out the dyno charts from two brothers.
http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/...us_SO_dyno.pdf
http://www.twobros.com/Exhaust/Suzuk...jpg:fineprint: look where the power curve is. the DL flatten out. Much like the 1000 does. I removed the secondary's and tuned the pc3 usb to richen it up above 7000 rpm. It now runs like the SV1000. it just doesn't rev as far. as the sv1000 does. But wow it pulls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement