Performance Mods... - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you can afford it, it would be good to get a before and after dyno run to measure what difference it makes.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
I was looking around fleabay and found someone parting out a 2009 Gladius motor with 4300 miles. Woo Hoo!

I bought all 4 cams for it and the two pistons with rings and wrist pins.

Got a great deal too, about 1/3 the price of OEM retail. He agreed to lower shipping costs by 50% for a package deal.

Let the modding begin this winter! I'll keep this thread updated with all the details of how the process goes.
Since you already have the Gladius motor in your 2012, what do u hope to gain by installing those parts? I don't really understand. I must be missing something. I would think an exhaust and PC would at least give u better throttle response, maybe even 3-4 hp's. Good luck anyway.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

The strom motor is based on the gladius, but it is detuned.

They both have 39mm throttle bodies.

The gladius is 11.5:1 compression, the strom is 11.2:1, so they likely have different pistons (it could be achieved other ways too).

The gladius will no doubt have more aggressive cams.

The gladius is supposed to be about 71HP stock, the strom is in the 60's.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 PM
$tromtrooper

my wife pointed out these interesting figures

Pedrosa: 104 lb, 5'2"
Elias: 121 lb, 5'4"
Melandri: 128 lb, 5'6"
Stoner: 128 lb 5'7"
Capirossi: 130 lb, 5'4"
Rossi: 130 lb, 5'11"
Hayden: 150 lb, 5'8"
Gibernau: 154 lb, 5'9"

I am close to Gibernau is height, yet i weight 200lbs - if i could lose 46lb, it would the equivalent of removing a complete exhaust system, a lugguage rack and almost a whole fuel tank

best thing,a ll the weight if removed up high,

K8 Wee ABS(SOLD);

SOLD: 06 FZ1; 04 Fireblade; 02 Fireblade; 97 CBR 600

Last edited by AceRider; 11-10-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Swap engines with a gsxr?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic View Post
The strom motor is based on the gladius, but it is detuned.

They both have 39mm throttle bodies.

The gladius is 11.5:1 compression, the strom is 11.2:1, so they likely have different pistons (it could be achieved other ways too).

The gladius will no doubt have more aggressive cams.

The gladius is supposed to be about 71HP stock, the strom is in the 60's.
When Bike mag from the U.K. tested the Wee, their test rider felt that the motor behaved pretty much like the 73hp Gladius. It is one thing to take a high performance motor and detune it such as the FZ1 with a R1 detuned motor. The Gladius motor is most often rated at 73 hp and I wouldn't be surprised if the 2012 V-strom is near that figure at the crank. I have seen dyno results of 68 to 69 hp for the Wee at the rear wheel. That's a lot of work on the engine in your Wee for not a lot of gain. I don't think the Gladius motor is detuned but rather "retuned" for more midrange punch might be a more accurate descriptive term. Well good luck on your experiment.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

This review reckons it's 11.5:1 like the gladius, but the 11.2:1 comes from the Suzuki brochure which I trust a little more.

They reckon it's 63HP at the wheel

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2012MayDL650.pdf
Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

My wife being a previous owner or a Gladius, I have put seat time on the 2012 vsrtom back to back with it. Once you erase the weight advantage and the sporty riding position there is very little difference. Just look at quarter mile figures: 12.08@106mph vs. 12.46@102mph-then subtract the weight advantage of the Gladius. The most notable attribute of the Gladius is a slightly more pronounced top end rush. Certainly not worth all the work to change internals IMHO.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFZ6 View Post
Really? You bought a V-strom and want more power?... A V-strom is a V-strom... No offense but, if you want power you should have bought a bike that has it...

Estoy totalmente de acuerdo, si quiere mas fuerza, deberia comprar otro modelo de moto.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:31 PM

You are right on FYRMAN, Tons of mods out there! I have found my money well spent on rock guards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement