StromTrooper banner

lowering

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  RichWee 
#1 ·
anyone buy the lower seat and how much does it really lower you

#5 ·
It depends on your height (or lack of it).

I have the lowered seat (about 2 cm or so), variable lowering links on the back (about 3/4 inch) and bar risers with the forks through (about 3/4 inch), so all up around 1 1/2 inches lower. For me, it's okay and I can flat-foot with a load or passenger. I needed the variable height side stand too, so then needed the "big flat foot" to go with it.

Doug

(If you're in the US, the postage is cheaper than it was to Australia)

#7 · (Edited)
As other posters said Soupy links and fork lift (3/4" is all you can on forks), then look into seat and height adjustment. Either way it is a compromise links reduce clearance lower seat knee comfort.

Another additional option is to replace rear spring will HyperPro. It has progressive rate so it doesn't spring as much when you get up.

EDIT: beware you will need to shave stand with lower links

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

#8 ·
If you go with lowering links and need to cut your side stand send me a PM. The previous owner of my '13 cut/welded the side stand but I restored the OEM links and now I need a full-length side stand so we can trade even up if you want.

#9 ·
I'm no youngster plus I'm inseam challenged and I've been riding bikes for decades. If you think the V-Strom is tall you should have experienced the Yamaha IT bikes of the 70-80's. I degress.........Initially I was somewhat challenged by the V-Strom top heaviness. I tend to keep bikes for a LONG time and that's what I bought this highly reliable bike for. After many miles the height doesn't make much difference anymore. At stops It's one foot down or I'm tippy-toed even in thick soled boots. Give the bike time before you change the geometry. I have a friend that was a professional MC racer in the desert and flat track. He is all of 5'2" on a tall day! He could and probably still can ride anything. It just takes riding ALOT. My bikes are transportation and not a hobby so I've even rode in the snow/thunderstorms/sand storms/below -0- in Canada and at 115 in the shade without shade in the Nevada desert. Ride and ride and ride then all of the sudden your motor will feel like an extension of your body. ..................Ride safe
P.S. I have to mount up on the V-Strom when the bags are on by using the side stand down and left foot peg like a stirrup. Works!

Reactions: Spec
#12 · (Edited)
Lowering links in your choice of length. More options, cheaper, and stronger.

Gen 1 and 2 DL650 and Gen 1 DL1000 - AdventureTech, LLC.

3/4" is the sweet spot in that you will not likely need to alter your side stand or center stand, but you can safely go as much as 1.125" down in the rear.

Feel free to call and discuss if you like. Se eteh contact page on our website. Contact Us - AdventureTech, LLC.

As discussed a bove there are few free things you can do to lower the seat. Unfortunately lowering the seat without doing anything else results in slightly more cramped riding position for the knees. That may not be an issue though depending on age and inseam length.

#14 ·
I bought Ricks 3/4" lowering links and had to grind a spot on the side stand stop so I had the correct lean angle. I also bought the side stand enlarger foot which I can not use as it keeps the bike to up right. The center stand requires me to put the rear wheel on a 2x4 so I can get it up there by my self( old short guy) I have a friend who can just pull it up on to the center stand without the 2x4 ...no problem

#15 ·
I learned a few things tonight:

1. Lowering links should not be installed by one guy (Can be done did it!)

2. A regular motorcycle jack should not be used to raise a V-Strom to change lowering links (Can be done, did it!)

3. A V-Strom 650 is a little heavy, do not lay under it to change lowering links when on 2 above (Can be done, did ir!)

4. It is a little difficult crawling out from under a V-Strom 650 when it's laying on you - do a bench press, sit up holding bike up, lift bike, hold it up and go around to the other side make sure kick stand is down, rest bike on kick stand.

5. Tighten lowering links and go for a ride around the block :)

#16 ·
Cal,

Have you lowered the front end as well by raising the fork tubes? Let me know. I may need to modify my advice. We have a happiness guarantee and no restocking fees. Your welcome to change the size of your link or return the side stand foot.

Randy,

Dude, been there, I'm glad you survived. The lowering links "can be" installed by a single person if they have a centerstand on the bike. Even with a center stand having two people makes the job easier.

In case it needs to be said: No centerstand and balancing the bike on a bottle jack is not recommended. Sticks that have been retrieved from fallen limbs are also not recommended. Laying under the bike while balancing it thusly is also not recommended.

Even with a centerstand care must be taken to ensure the center of gravity stays on the end you want it. While changing the tire on my ST1300 I managed to let the weight shift forward of the center stand. the bike came forward and the centerstand retracted. Most inconvenient.

#17 ·
Yes I raised the fork tubes about 5/8" and regarding the side stand foot it has been modified with my grinder, I took material off the front of it so it would swing down without touching the ground before it was fully down. In order to use the foot I would need to shorten the side stand.

#20 ·
I lowered mine 5/8" and got by with the sidestand for a while, but after a 3500 mile trip I found the sidestand is fine if the ground is level. In the real world of pulling off the road, many parking places, even pulling to a gas pump where the pavement usually slopes away from the pump, I had to be real careful. I got back from this trip and ordered a Soupy's adjustable, well worth the money to me and now never worry about where I pull off or need to park.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.