StromTrooper banner

A quicker Glee?

4K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  greywolf 
#1 ·
What's the easiest and cheapest way to get more performance out of the Glee? I want to go quicker; not interested in top speed.

K & N air filter? Synthetic oil? Higher air pressure in tires? Sprocket changes? Has anyone does this and what are the results?

Please be specific as to what parts to change. Thanks!

I'm not interested in a performance pipe. They're too costly, too loud, and don't really do much. And I don't want to have to buy a Power Commander to cure the lean engine condition that results.

#2 ·
Sounds like you want a 14T front sprocket.

#6 ·
So want to wreck the fuel economy so you can see if the ABS works at reckless speeds?
:confused:

Dang bike is already pretty quick - I smoked one of those expensive Mercedes with the turbo'd engines a couple of weeks ago. He was trying to be a douche and I just decided "not today". This was with luggage on!

#7 ·
If you don't care about engine longevity a fabric and oil type air filter will give you maybe 1 to 2 more HP. In my mind the more rapid engine wear is not worth it.

A free-er flowing exhaust will results in similar 1 to 2 HP gains, but without the increase in engine wear.

If you just want faster acceleration, see Greywolf's comment. It is the easiest and cheapest way to improve acceleration and it results in a more substantial feeling of increased power than the others.

#13 ·
If you just want faster acceleration, see Greywolf's comment. It is the easiest and cheapest way to improve acceleration and it results in a more substantial feeling of increased power than the others.
I disagree. 14t will make it feel faster by screwing speedo, and giving more power in top gear, but as far as off line acceleration you are short shifting as is.

Stock 15t is a good compromise giving enough top gear power at 80-90mph for oem Aluminum side wind catchers, but IMHO 16t would be faster 0-60 and at cruising speed as long as you don't forget to downshift to 5th gear.

#10 ·
I have a 09 Wee and I dropped one tooth from the front sprocket for better acceleration, on the Wee it does not affect the speedo like the Glee and I did get better fuel economy.

I also dropped the front end of that bike and put a 1" lift under the back, while this has no outright effect on performance it does make the bike more nimble so it feels quicker.

My V2 is quicker but the Wee feels more nimble to ride.

You could spend big dollars on a Strom for very little gain, they are not built for it.

#15 ·
It's going to depend on where you live and the kind of rising you do, but gauze type filters let more small particles through than ordinary paper filters. Those small particles wind up in the oil and increase engine wear. K&N recognized the problem themselves, but of course refuse to admit it publicly. In the beginning the recommended their filters for all types of motorcycles, but changed that after significant premature wear was noted on dirt bikes using their filters. They now do not recommend their filters for use in dirty environments.

I can tell first hand that a gauze type filter decreases piston, cylinder, and ring life in dirty environments.

#17 · (Edited)
It's going to depend on where you live and the kind of rising you do, but gauze type filters let more small particles through than ordinary paper filters. Those small particles wind up in the oil and increase engine wear. K&N recognized the problem themselves, but of course refuse to admit it publicly. In the beginning the recommended their filters for all types of motorcycles, but changed that after significant premature wear was noted on dirt bikes using their filters. They now do not recommend their filters for use in dirty environments.
Old wifie's tails do not easily die.

To my knowledge there was one scientific study which indeed found that use of gauze filter resulted in accelerated wear and shorter rebuild intervals, when compared to use of oem paper filters.

Very true! What people fail to mention that:

a) the study looked into absolutely worse case scenario: open mine equipment.

b) the cost of additional OEM paper filters was $30,000, but cost of rebuild was $250,000

c) study found the rebuild interval was shortened from 22,000 to 18,000 hours

National average speed is 35 MPH. At that speed 20,000 hours = 700,000mi. I do not expect my 'strom to go half as much and I don't know anyone who does, do you?

Though odometer can handle 999,999mi I suspect there will be other issues besides caused by filter before it gets to that point.

#18 ·
#19 ·
Very cool thread thanks for the link!. I only had 1 car go over 400k mark but that took 19 years. Had 433,740mi when we traded it in, all except first 30k on K&N filter.

To be honest Keith ran K&N in lighter conditions than some will. It rains pretty regularly on this side of Mississippi and it doesn't get nearly as dusty as in CA and SW. Plus most of those miles are on payment.. gotta be with 90mi/day average.

#21 ·
Cyclepath,

Yep that was the study. Do you have a link to it? I read the whole study on line many years ago, but haven't been able to find it recently.

I can certainly agree that my dirt bike that wore prematurely with a K&N was exposed to dust toward the far end of the spectrum. Summers in the Cascades of WA and OR, and the Blue Mountains of Idaho can be dusty. However, one long group ride on forest roads in dry conditions anywhere can load up a V-Strom air filter with what under ideal conditions might take years.

No gauze air filter for me and even K&N says that they are not recommended for dusty conditions.

#23 ·
I know you said you didn't want to hear this. But I put a full Yoshimura exhaust system with a Power Commander on my bike. Made a huuuuugge difference!! Major, major power upgrade.
My stock bike felt like a scooter and I immediately was regretting purchasing it in winter without test driving it. Yeah it was a little expensive, but soooo worth it if you ask me. (I really like the sound it makes now too, I like when cars can hear me. And it's not obnoxious. )

#24 ·
Like so many people do, you are equating noise to power. The most a freer flowing exhaust and intake will produce is about 2%. Put the bike on a real dyno and the result is often a loss in power in at least part of the rev range. A PC doesn't do much if anything for a 650. Butt dynos are notoriously inaccurate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.