StromTrooper banner

How does one get a glee off the ground

3K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  nuke 
#1 ·
I sold my 2005 Honda 1300 VTX -R with lots of good custom stuff on it because at my age -73- and my weight -150 lbs - it was becoming too heavy to handle at slow speeds (also really didn't suit my riding style of all back-hilly roads. Took a test ride on a glee and was sold; great ride, good weight and plenty of storage.

Here's my problem, I could pick up the Honda from the ground (road bars kept it from laying flat on the ground) using my butt against the seat and pushing with my legs to get it up right again.

Dropped the glee in my garage because of a slick floor. The alum. side bag stopped it from hitting the handle bar or anything else. But, I could not get it upright again and had to call a neighbor for help - agggg.

Can anyone give me a tip/hint on how it get it up myself. Getting ready for a 1000 mile trip by myself on just state and county roads where help may be hard to find it needed. Have learned to be careful but one never knows.

#3 ·
There were a few threads on this but i recall talk of short looped straps so you could lift while more upright. Theres also a portable tripod style bike lift listed on the internet. I havent drppoed mine yet i dont have a good plan on picking it up yet i guess i should practice but i dont want to lay my bike over on purpose. What devices give us advantage- pulleys and levers/leverage like a long pry bar or such but we still need a higher place to attach and a good way to carry. Im glad youre still riding I'm 53 and hope to keep riding for many years. "Forget your troubles get on Suzuki" https://youtu.be/W5nJ-0YUaIo

#8 · (Edited)
I've seen the vids of the little women picking up a big bike. Saw it in person at RawHyde too. Depends on the person and the traction of the surface the bike rests on.
My 1100RT BMW-P was a pig to lift. Got rid of it because it was too heavy.
I'm getting to be an out of shape old man so the Wee is easier...unloaded. Loaded with the gear, it's a pig too. I have dirt fall overs pretty regularly.
I do carry lots of nylon straps so I may be able to get myself out of trouble in the future.

#9 ·
Like Brojon said, adrenaline! I'm a small cat myself and had to struggle to get mine up. Back to the bike, lift with legs. I'm pretty sure that large side boxes are a blessing and a curse in that situation. It may be that you can lift it a little better while not on that slick garage floor. Just a thought....

#10 ·
The last time I dropped a bike was a Wee in 2008 when I was a couple of months shy of 65. I popped it right up. On the other hand, I quit riding a year ago at 70. Life's requirements get more difficult with age. It's a chore just getting my own body up off the ground now.

#12 ·
#17 ·
I was taught in the Basic Rider Course to pick up the bike with my back toward bike like one of the guys did in the video. Of course, you have to be on a surface where your feet and the tires of the bike don't slip.

#14 ·
#19 ·
... Can anyone give me a tip/hint on how it get it up myself. Getting ready for a 1000 mile trip by myself on just state and county roads where help may be hard to find it needed. Have learned to be careful but one never knows.
Glad to see that you are planning to go on a 1000 mile ride. Ride on.
As for tips on getting a bike back on its wheels obviously the videos we've seen are helpful but I would consider getting a set of those "hoop" crash bars fitted to the bike, in advance. They are extremely helpful when that tip over happens. They can also keep a small accident small by not allowing a hole in anything that contains oil or gas ... a long way from home.

Having had a couple of Gold Wings over the years, the other thing I know is that before you actually try to lift it _ have everything in order because you may only have the strength for one try :) .

Reactions: kd70qc
#20 ·
One thing is to make sure the bike is not in neutral...damhik

Also if down on the right side, deploy the side stand first.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Seatbelt webbing with a couple of D-rings sewn into the end is about cigarette pack size. Easily fits under the seat.

My experience that led to that was being nose down on a steep gravel road, the tires slid out and I also couldn't shift my grip 2/3 of the way up to complete the lift. Plenty of strength to get the bike off the ground, but I couldn't lift it all the way.

With the strap through a crash bar and over my shoulder it's relatively easy. Just lift with the legs, and my arms are free to balance it when it's up. It does pay to have something like some double-sided velcro to strap the front brake on as well.

If you have something like a GS yeah, you probably need more, but for a DL, a simple strap was enough for me. I picked seatbelt webbing because it's wide, but a ratchet strap would work at a pinch.

#23 ·
Dropped my bike twice in last 4.5 years....once on a ferry and was swarmed by Harley riders helping..the second time was on a dirt road, freshly graded...slammed on front brakes unfortunately to stop as was travelling slowly with feet down while steering to avoid buddy in front who stopped quickly...a couple of drivers jumped out to assist right away before my buddy realized what happened...neither drop caused any damage..bike fell on steel side cases and handguards...on long isolated trips, never had a problem...don't worry just take the time to think esp when a bit tired...as I was on entering the ferry and just hopping off without dropping the side stand. I have tried standing the bike up a couple of times in the garage..tried a couple of techniques and both fine..set it down on protective foam etc...now I am just about 65 but 6 ft helps...not a problem but I have good traction in the garage...would be difficult on loose gravel or sand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.