StromTrooper banner

Need opinions regarding my next bike

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Tbillyjoe 
#1 ·
Hi to all!
I have 1998 ST1100. It's GREAT bike but it's having more and more issues almost not worth fixing any more. So I started to think about new bike. V-Strom 650 and NC700x are on the top of my list.

Since I plan to trade-in my ST, I have to look for a dealership near me (up to 500 miles or so). I know buying from a private seller could be much better deal, but selling my bike over Craig's list is time consuming and PITA. So, buying from a dealer and loosing some money - but don't need to bother with selling my old bike.
On Cycle Trader website (please, let me know if there's any other similar website for buy/sell motorcycle - except eBay and Craig's List ) I'm looking for a bike, than contact the dealership, and if everything's OK, ride to the dealership to take a look at the bike in person. And, if everything's OK - go home!

I checked the Cycle Trader website for 2012 - 2016 models (new bikes) and I'm bit confused with results. There's one 2015 for $6,396 in WI, one 2016 in OK for $6,899, but there's also one 2014 in MO for $6,999. Then, again 2015 in WI for $8,549. All new bikes, no miles, no farkles... Probably I'm missing something?
So, my first question is what should I be aware off when checking these bikes on CycleTrader.com or similar website? Does year (and if yes - which) makes any significant change?

Also, I know that asking about "better" bike than V-Strom on V-Strom forum doesn't make much sense but I'm gonna still try.
I would like to hear your opinions on these scenarios:
a) If you have to commute to work to other town 60 miles one away, mostly by highway (at least to get there), EVERY DAY - would you rather take V-Strom 650 or NC700x or something else?
b) If you ride, at least one weekend a month, couple hundreds miles over a weekend(s) (2-3 days camping), with, eventually just a bit of off-road riding, would you rather take V-Strom 650 or NC700x or something else?
c) If you plan to do a 2-3 weeks trip across the country, riding 400-500 miles a day, with just a bit off road riding (let's say 90%-10%), would you rather take V-Strom 650 or NC700x or something else?

If you need a bike to cover a), b) and c), what would be the "final" answer?

I would appreciate if you explain your selection rather than just posting the bike's name.

Thanks for any help,
Afan

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to Stromtrooper!

I ride a lot. I commute ever day on my bike as long as there is no ice or snow on my roads. My commute used to be 75 miles round trip but is now 100 miles round trip. In both cases normally about half was interstate-like highway. My two DL650's were great for commuting, and also a total blast to ride just about anywhere in any situation. I would still have my 2012 DL650 if my wife hadn't old me to get a new bike (and I have learned to never argue with wives!)

I have never ridden the NC700X but many people have said the engine is just not right for a bike.. setup for great fuel mileage at the expense of just about all things performance wise that make a bike fun.

From everything I have read and heard from friends the Honda CB500X would be a much better choice than the 700.. better mileage, more performance and more fun.

The thing with the DL650 is that it just disappears under you and just lets you ride the way you feel like riding. It isn't about the bike.. it's about you riding. I would happily get one again, especially if it had the suspension and brakes etc of the new DL1000.

..Tom

#5 ·
Like rixae86, most of my miles come from commuting and love my Glee. I put on 10k miles last year for reference. I believe the Glee, by most standards, dominates on b) and c), as for a) that depends on your personal preferences.
Before you take a road trip to buy your next bike get in some local test rides on finalists and let the bikes tell you which is best. What fits me and my riding style might be the same as for you.

Also if you want ABS the decision is easy to make, unless you want DCT.

You can also read/watch any number of comparison reviews between these 2 (and other) bikes.
Half the fun is in the hunt,

#6 ·
Regarding the touring aspect.. I have done tens of thousands of miles touring on my DL650's.. absolutely great bike for doing so and would not hesitate again taking one anywhere.

They really are great for dong just about any kind of riding you want to do. (They are not so good at sitting there at the coffee shop and trying to impress people with the looks though.)

..Tom

#7 ·
The NC700/750X seems to be quite popular in Europe.
Every review of it I've seen of it from here (north America) finds it extremely bland and gutless. Redline way to low. Expensive for what it delivers in terms of performance and riding satisfaction. Probably a great commuter if you don't care at all about acceleration. Basically an oversized scooter - probably better with the DCT option because then you can let the bike take care of shifting rather than constantly banging off the rev limiter.

#8 ·
Have you ridden either bike? How long have you ridden your ST? The throttle response from the bikes you are considering is vastly different from the ST. Surely I'm not telling you something you don't already know...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rides2Work
#9 ·
Too bad the CBF1000 is not imported to the US ...natural step from the ST1100.

NC7/750 are junk - just horrid bikes to ride and over priced.

CB500x excellent but the Strom a couple of years old is very good value for money.

The Wee will do everything you want except the pull of the ST1100. It's quick enough but it's not a litre bike.

I've owned an ST1100, ridden the NC700 - have a Wee and a CBF1000. The CBF for thrills and touring. The Wee for mileage and carry lots.

Without luggage both are nimble - especially compared to the ST1100.

#10 ·
I had a 2003 ST1300 when I purchased my 2005 DL650. My riding buddies were all amazed by the ST1300's ability to pass them like they were standing still and my habit of "taking" the lead and disappearing whenever we would come to a log twisty section of the trip.

They were equally befuddled as they saw me riding the ST1300 less and less and the DL650 more and more. As nice as the ST1300 was, the criticism about it being too refined started hitting home. It was also a handful around town. My little DL650 (actually 1.5 inches longer then the ST1300) was much more fun around town and had more "character." Eventually I realized I hadn't ridden the ST in a while and sold it. I kept the DL650 for nine years before upgrading to the 2014 DL1000.

Is there a better bike than the DL650? Yes. It's called a Vee2 (a.k.a., 2014+ DL1000). Better brakes, more power, slightly better handling, equally comfortable, and plenty of character. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Wee (2004 to 2011 DL650) or Wee2 (2012+ DL650), but the Vee2 is an even better motorcycle.

#11 ·
Kind of my experience with my 2006 ST1300. Was great for two up touring with my wife, and a sport touring rocket solo, but the 700 lbs + became a chore for my aging body to move around and work on.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Honda dropped the ball not bringing in the CBF1000 underneath the ST1300 to the US .....it's just under 500 lb without luggage, C-ABS brakes, detuned Fireblade 1 litre that has been tweeked for torque. It feels lighter than a bare Wee and the seat ( 3 position ) is lower and will take on just anything when rolled on.
Hugely popular in Europe and early on was #2 seller to one of the BMWs in Germany. CB600 chassis with that motor is superb.

Instead they FINALLY brought the VFR800 back to life with it's very marginal seating position.

Honda lost a lot of brand loyalty not having a lighter weight sports tourer with upright seating. It's especially nice for those like me with shorter inseams.

They DID hit a winner with the CB500x but the NC700/750 are dogs - very few would move from an STxxxx to one of those.

Aging demographics all pointed to a lighter, upright litre bike.

Yamaha nailed it with the FJ-09 ......Honda ???? nada.

Certainly an ST rider moving to a Vee makes some sense.....nothing for them from Honda in the US...at least Canada and Australia got some CBF1000s

#13 ·
afan, I have enjoyed my Wee-Strom for ten-and-a-half years. It has taken me across dozens of states, including yours. It has always completed its voyages nobly, and always stayed upright while in motion. A couple of clumsy people have dropped it while stationary, but those errors can hardly be the bike's fault.

You got some good advice from V-Tom. I ride with him on occasion, even though he and I live 1400 miles apart. I quickly became one with my Wee-Strom, and it still performs the way it did when it was new. Mrs. Suzuki did a good job on this bike, and I am likely to replace it with a new DL-650 if only I can wear this one out.

Whatever you choose to buy, communicate on-line and in person with people who depend on the same machine as yours, and you will learn valuable information you can get no other way.

Good luck!
Keith

#14 ·
and I am likely to replace it with a new DL-650 if only I can wear this one out.
Now that's challenge...I bought mine with 100,000 km on it and runs perfectly around town or for 3 weeks on the road. It's a long term keeper for me....I do have the CBF1000 to tame the thrill seeker urge.

#15 ·
About the pricing...compare against the list price on Suzuki's web site. Ask the dealerships what extra charges they tack on. If the list price is low but the set up price or something else is high, know that in advance. Some dealers may be blowing out the older model-year bikes. Others don't bother. And, some may chisel you on your trade in price. Check all the numbers.

The '12+ DL650A is a fun bike, extremely reliable. The '14 DL1000A is better in every way except the price tag.

Reactions: Rides2Work
#16 ·
I'm really thankful for all these kind words. I really appreciate it.
I found 2013 V-Strom 650 ABS with only 800 miles on it. Practically - it's new. And low price. For $800 more I can have 2015 - new, 0 miles. So, I wonder is there any year you would not recommend to buy? What's the year of V-Stroms last (major) "rebuild"? I think I read it was 2012?

And, witch way you would rather go: new bike with warranty, or couple years old bike with some farkles, side/top case(s), centerstand, etc.?

Thanks.

#18 ·
I'm really thankful for all these kind words. I really appreciate it.
I found 2013 V-Strom 650 ABS with only 800 miles on it. Practically - it's new. And low price. For $800 more I can have 2015 - new, 0 miles. So, I wonder is there any year you would not recommend to buy? What's the year of V-Stroms last (major) "rebuild"? I think I read it was 2012?

And, witch way you would rather go: new bike with warranty, or couple years old bike with some farkles, side/top case(s), centerstand, etc.?

Thanks.
Yes. Rather major upgrade done, for US model at least, in 2012 - for 650 model.

FWIW, I'd vote V-Strom, but I have no experience with the other bike you're considering.

Good luck either way.

:smile2:

#17 · (Edited)
I had been in your shoes a few months back came down to NC700x and 'strom. Wee won me over by being more versatile machine and being a better deal. If you add cost of furkles to NC, Adventure model is a real bargain was listed under 7k (8k OTD)

MPG-wise it is not that different from co-worker's NC he gets about 64 and I get 60-61. My round-trip commute is 100mi and I am regularly getting 300mi+ out of tank. I think NC has shorter range due to smaller tank.

In terms of what is a better commuter both would do fine and both good 2up. If you are the type which will end up adding accessories or touring Wee is a better choice more options, more output, more dual sport front tire options. Better brakes.

If range is not an issue, NC has a slight edge as commuter slightly better MPG and feels lighter in stop and go traffic. Cheaper as a base model there were killer deals on them.

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

#19 ·
Hi to all!
I have 1998 ST1100. It's GREAT bike but it's having more and more issues almost not worth fixing any more. So I started to think about new bike. V-Strom 650 and NC700x are on the top of my list.

Since I plan to trade-in my ST, I have to look for a dealership near me (up to 500 miles or so). I know buying from a private seller could be much better deal, but selling my bike over Craig's list is time consuming and PITA. So, buying from a dealer and loosing some money - but don't need to bother with selling my old bike.
On Cycle Trader website (please, let me know if there's any other similar website for buy/sell motorcycle - except eBay and Craig's List ) I'm looking for a bike, than contact the dealership, and if everything's OK, ride to the dealership to take a look at the bike in person. And, if everything's OK - go home!

I checked the Cycle Trader website for 2012 - 2016 models (new bikes) and I'm bit confused with results. There's one 2015 for $6,396 in WI, one 2016 in OK for $6,899, but there's also one 2014 in MO for $6,999. Then, again 2015 in WI for $8,549. All new bikes, no miles, no farkles... Probably I'm missing something?
So, my first question is what should I be aware off when checking these bikes on CycleTrader.com or similar website? Does year (and if yes - which) makes any significant change?

Also, I know that asking about "better" bike than V-Strom on V-Strom forum doesn't make much sense but I'm gonna still try.
a) If you have to commute to work to other town 60 miles one away, mostly by highway (at least to get there), EVERY DAY - would you rather take V-Strom 650 or NC700x or something else?
b) If you ride, at least one weekend a month, couple hundreds miles over a weekend(s) (2-3 days camping), with, eventually just a bit of off-road riding, would you rather take V-Strom 650 or NC700x or something else?
c) If you plan to do a 2-3 weeks trip across the country, riding 400-500 miles a day, with just a bit off road riding (let's say 90%-10%), would you rather take V-Strom 650 or NC700x or something else?

I would appreciate if you explain your selection rather than just posting the bike's name.

Thanks for any help,
Afan
NOBODY on this site is going to rec
Hi to all!

Thanks for any help,
Afan
NOBODY on this site is going to recommend the Honda over the Strom. Are you kidding??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.