StromTrooper banner

Windshield fastner grommets - where can they hide in the fairing?

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  richlandrick 
#1 ·
As in, I accidentally pushed one through while moving them to a different hole and it did not fall out onto the floor.

Try as I might, I can't spot that sucker anyplace visible from over the handlebars.

- Could it have fallen into the headlight housing?

- Is there another hole it might have disappeared into?

So short of completely removing the fairings, what are the likely hiding places?

#2 ·
I don't think there is an answer! I have been working on a windshield project for many months. I have a bag full of extra well nuts and have used quite a few. It is rare to have one them fall out of the fairing after pushing it through! Like you, I cannot see them anywhere. I did have one come out recently, while doing my valve check and other maintenance I was blowing out the spark plug holes with the air hose. Decided to hit the fairing with a blast....and out came a windshield well nut! You might try that. Factory well nuts are expensive. Most dealers probably don't stock them either.

#3 ·
Get a good flashlight and look into the crevasse of the mounting area, just behind the shield. Black on black is hard to spot sometimes.
I've also found things in the fairing folds, just turn the handlebar left or right and shine the light into the abyss.

#4 ·
Thanks to both of you. I appreciate the feedback.

I raised the carport door again after daylight and still can't spot it anyplace that is visible without removing fairing parts.

Naturally, if this episode goes like some of my other projects, after I locate a replacement and expend the time and money to get it, the first time I drive the bike out of the driveway the AWOL piece will fall out on the drive and be there in plain sight when I get back...

My main concern is making sure it is not in a place that can rub against other parts and create bigger problems - for example, wedged up next to the radiator or something.

Anyway, I've discovered browsing online that the Lowe's and Home Depot stores near me have a varied selection of well nuts, so I'll take one of the OEM pieces with me and get a replacement at one place or the other to get me by. I figure the windshield will not know the difference either way.

Thanks again, and have a great Memorial Day weekend -

Rick in Alabama

#6 ·
I had that same thing happen when mounting my Givi AirFlow and I was lucky enough to find it using a bright flashlight. So that's what you will be... lucky if you find it. You may just want to order a spare as you poke around. To get it back in I fished a piece of string through it and tied a washer on the end, then pulled hard until the washer popped it back in place. Good luck!

Reactions: basketcase
#7 · (Edited)
I hate those well nuts. They will deteriorate over time, will pull through if over tightened and really not very stable.
I had a windshield come loose from my Madstad while on the road.
I was about to ordered replacement hardware from Madstad and passed out at the cost.
And its a complicated solution to a very simple need. Not sure why they chose that avenue.

I went to my local hardware store and bought grommets to go into the bracket. That gave a rubber "cushion" for the windshield to ride on.
Not satisfied, I found 1" rubber washers that I used between the grommet and inside of the windshield to keep the lexan off the metal bracket.
Then another set of rubber washers on the outside of the windshield.
Finally I used stainless steel machine screws and 1" oversized flat washer to attach the windshield.
The rubber washer provides a cushion or damper for the oversized stainless washer which spreads the clamping load across the lexan.
I cinched it all down with a stainless nylock on the backside of the bracket.

4 grommets
8 rubber washers
4 stainless washers
4 machine screws
4 nylocks

less than $10. Job done and now worry free.

#8 ·
The well nuts are 5mm thread. Don't remember what pitch. So either take a factory screw with you, or buy a well nut with the right diameter to fit the hole and then a new screw that fits in SAE threads.

#15 · (Edited)
Well the story has a happy ending -

First, a comment about this:

You are correct. A magnet does not get sufficient attraction to lift that particular well nut. I tried it with one of the others just to check.

And a few words about stump's observation -

Maybe think of this as a learning moment and take the whole fairing off to find the well nut? It doesn't take that long, you learn lots, and, well, whats not to like spending and hour or so putzing around wrenching on the scoot? I'm a firm believer that taking it apart at home without a time constraint is a bit of fun and lots better than on the road side or at a campsite!. YMMV
I agree with you on all points.

My next addition to this bike will be the Eastern Beaver harness and relay to get the load off the headlight switches, and the fuse box needed to set me up to install my GPS and a J&M CB radio that is still in the box.

When I do the wiring addition I plan to remove all of the fairings to simplify that work, and to go to school on the related chores - in particular, the steps to remove the plastic. I want to have a firm visual of what is underneath the section of the bike at which I happen to be looking.

Finally, about the AWOL well nut: it ended up being fished out with a good deal of grunting and wrangling. It had fallen into the crevice formed by the fairing outer and the headlight assembly, but I'm proud to say it is now duly reinstalled on the bike.

Here's the rest of that story: This being Memorial Day weekend our family came over for a late afternoon dinner. Both daughters, the grands, and one of the two sons-in-law. (The other is a firefighter and is on shift today).

I am one of the most fortunate men on the planet as I have two of the finest young men as sons-in-law that anyone could ever hope for. Son-in-law #1 as I call him is the firefighter and is married to the older daughter. Son-in-law #2 is married to the younger daughter, and is a cracker-jack mechanic -- with the manual dexterity of a double-jointed circus performer.

He fished it out by reaching from underneath, up into the space behind the headlights, and then wriggling his fingers over into the crevice above the headlights. He gradually "rolled" it out until he could get two fingers on the fastener and lift it.

The photo below is one of my favorite of him, pulling an extra engine for parts for his Porche 944. He bought the car for salvage and did the "from the ground up" rebuild himself.

This episode was an interesting lesson on the nuances of the VStrom bodywork. I plan to visit an industrial supply warehouse near where I live and pick up several extras of the well nuts.

So thanks again to all for the feedback, and all my best for a safe Memorial Day tomorrow. The country in which we Americans are citizens is certainly not perfect, but I still consider it the greatest place in the world to live. We live in freedom today because of the sacrifices of those who went before us.

#14 ·
Maybe think of this as a learning moment and take the whole fairing off to find the well nut? It doesn't take that long, you learn lots, and, well, whats not to like spending and hour or so putzing around wrenching on the scoot? I'm a firm believer that taking it apart at home without a time constraint is a bit of fun and lots better than on the road side or at a campsite!. YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.