StromTrooper banner

Soft panniers V-Strom 650

11K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  kd7vdb 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I want to put soft panniers on my 14' 650 but because of the exhaust pipe, I think I'm supposed to put some sort of metallic rack to protect them. Or am I ?

Can you put soft panniers without a rack ? Is there any option for this ?

I think the racks are over expensive unfortunately.

#2 ·
I have a 09 Wee and I use soft bags with no rack.

The exhaust side is fine but I made a bar from flat aluminium to go from the pillion peg to the bolt just below the tail light to keep the bag off the wheel and swing arm on the left side of the bike.

I remove the bar when the bags are not in use.

#3 ·
I use Caribou Commando soft bags on hepco becker racks, they are great

#11 ·
Try Andy Strapz

#12 ·
I'd recommend PM racks as well - great bit of kit, well finished, neat, easy to fit...... give that extra bit of support and security by keeping throwovers clear of exhaust. You can use soft luggage without supporting racks but as they're available and not too expensive, they're worth it for peace of mind.

#13 · (Edited)
Andy Strapz, Expedition Soft panniers with an easy to fit rack.
Works for me, easy to take bags off. Side racks unobstrucive.

#14 ·
I have a set of Nelson Rigg CL-855's ??? soft luggage. Only used them on Miss Piggy (09 - DL650) a few times but liked them fine. I was always worried about them on the exhaust pipe but never had any problem on the stock exhaust. Might be a problem on some aftermarkets. The soft luggage rack (bar with a plastic plate over it) for the left side (without exhaust) is probably a good idea but I didn't need anything over the exhaust. Stopped and checked them a number of times and they were only ever warm.

#18 ·
Julles, I am quite happy with my Andy Strapz bags. They are tough and capacious. On the right, the exhaust shield does a fair job of keeping the hot pipe away [although it's good to put some duct tape onto the shield, to stop the shield paint being rubbed].
The left side needs something, to stop the bag swinging in to contact the wheel. You might be able to manage some lengths of tight-strung cord to act as a barrier ~ this would be quick and cheap (and light).

In view of your upcoming trip (mentioned elsewhere), you will probably have time to try Plan B, which is Dan Vesel's guard. This is a single metal tube with a plastic rubbing-strip along the middle section, and bolting from rear mudguard to left passenger footpeg region. It is light and moderately cheap, and is IMO barely noticeable (whereas the typical full-on metal rack is heavy and, when not covered by luggage cases/bags, looks like some left-over sections of Sydney Harbour Bridge).

The Dan Vesel guard bar is serviceable rather than slick-looking, and it is tough and springy enough to give good protection to the left rear of the bike . . . if the bike should, er, decide to fall that way or, er, decide to progress along the road without actually using the wheels (DAMHIK).
Yes, a tough bar, that serves as more than a bag/case supporter.

#20 ·
Well, today I managed to get a pipe bender from a friend. I think I'm going to do a DIY project and make some racks. I'll go to a local store and buy some tradie cheap metal cases and make myself some racks :))

I will probably spend some $120 on the welder and accessories, $30 on the pipes/frames and another maximum $120 on side cases (model 1, model 2, model 3).

Any advices ? Should I start this ?

#21 ·
My recently purchased 650 came with Cortech soft bags on her. The left side has a bar to hold them off. On the right, exhaust side, the bags sit directly on the exhaust shroud. I haven't run with the bags loaded, but to date they are warm to the touch and not overly hot. The PO took a couple of trips with them loaded and I cant find any indication of them overheating.

#22 ·
Yeap, that was my other thing. I was thinking of just mounting a bar to hold them off and have soft panniers instead of the metal ones. The rack and metal cases will be very heavy in the end...

Donno what to do :)

#24 ·
PM Racks. By the time you do the currency conversion and add shipping to Aus it will come to about AUD$220.

I got them because most other racks were about the $350-400 range, and were designed for hard cases. I only have plans to use soft panniers, so didn't need a specific frame, just something to hold bags off the exhaust and wheel.

If I remember I'll take a few pic's tonight and post them for you. I just did a 2000km trip with these and Andy Strapz Avduro Pannierz (exactly the same as the expedition, but with a few extra straps for tying to frames). They worked great, the bags sit on them really well, and when you take the bags off the frames still look good on the bike and sit in fairly close. Any soft luggage should work quite well on these frames.

#27 · (Edited)
Thank you Satch for the suggestion. I didn't realise that.

EDIT:

Thank you for the worm welcome.

I have only 1 problem with the rack.

I can make a $15 soft luggage rack for soft panniers.

the problem with the above simple rack is that it's too simple to make :)))

I usually over complicate things so that's why I feel like buying a welding machine, some $30 worth of pipes and start building. :)) This will cost me at least $150.

Again, because of the above, my instinct tells me to just buy http://shop.sydneycitymotorcycles.com.au/p/8950987/givi-pannier-frames-dl650-v-strom-11-15.html and get on with the life. Get a set of plastic secure 50L boxes and move on.

#28 ·
Thank you Satch for the suggestion. I didn't realise that.

EDIT:

Thank you for the worm welcome.

I have only 1 problem with the rack.

I can make a $15 soft luggage rack for soft panniers.

the problem with the above simple rack is that it's too simple to make :)))

I usually over complicate things so that's why I feel like buying a welding machine, some $30 worth of pipes and start building. :)) This will cost me at least $150.

Again, because of the above, my instinct tells me to just buy GIVI PANNIER FRAMES DL650 V-STROM '11-15 Online Motorcycle Accessories Australia - SCM and get on with the life. Get a set of plastic secure 50L boxes and move on.
Honestly go for the Andy Strapz package. You don't even notice the rack without the panniers, the panniers are good quality and you look like a cowboy walking down the road with saddlebags over your shoulder. Local home grown business.

#30 ·
I have killed two birds with one stone. I toss a pair of ancient Gearsack softpanniers across the back of the seat. There's no issue at all with the exhaust side, the other side I have a flat bar from pillion peg to rear chassis to which I have fixed using large hoseclamps a homemade tool tube. I have a bungy wrapped around the back of the carrier onto the gearsack carry handles which stops them moving forward. I have done lots of offroad & rough 4wd tracks without drama of any sort. If I won Lotto I'd trade my Gearsacks in for a set of Andystrapz but I certainly wouldn't bother with the brackets.

#31 · (Edited)
You just need something to keep the bag off ther pipe and out of the tire. Had this made for my wife's bike

And used these soft saddlebags

For a low cost solution for her to pack some gear. Worked fine, but have since upgraded to a used set of factory luggage.

#32 ·
You just need something to keep the bag off ther pipe and out of the tire. Had this made for my wife's bike

And used these soft saddlebags

For a low cost solution for her to pack some gear. Worked fine, but have since upgraded to a used set of factory luggage.
Exactly my thoughts! Thank you for this.

#33 ·
Whoever has hard racks/boxes, how much fuel do they eat up. Is it noticeable ?

From what I heard (read) your bike will end up using a lot more fuel due to drag and weight on long distances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.