• SW-Motech

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Hepco & Becker

Votes: 5 27.8%

Centre stand between SW-Motech and Hepco & Becker

7K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Strange Dog 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

A pool for you guys. I want to buy a centre stand for my bike and I don't know if I should get a "SW-Motech" or a "Hepco & Becker" centre stand. I'm leaning more towards H&B as I heard the Motech one has issues altough it's about $50 cheaper (Australia).

Thoughts from my research:
* Motech is wobbly when up, has issues on the long run, poor design, bends and some possible safety issues in certain situations. Also heard/read of bikes fallen off the stand.
* H&B super stable when bike on stand. Don't know ground clearance, left turn clearance or any other details.
* Both are easy to install.

NOT interested in:
* OEM stand ($500, out of discussion).
* No stand (I want a stand as my life would be so much more less complicated)
* Other brands (did a research and it's pretty much a luck thing with cheaper/other brands)

Any thoughts/votes ?

See less See more
#4 ·
#3 ·
SW Motech for me...

Have had the SW Motech centerstand installed on my 09 Wee for almost 2 years now. No issues but I can see if one was to "twist" bike while bike is on stand that it might eventually cause problems. So long as the bike is kept straight and level, no issues at all.
Cheers.

#6 ·
Very happy with my SW Motech, and haven't noticed any instability. It is the best balanced of all the center stands I am accustomed to (BMW). Unfortunately, i did tip my bike over while installing it! But that had nothing to do with the stand, just poor risk management.

#7 · (Edited)
used sw motech on 3 different bikes now. all performed flawless. re one of the complaints........of course if you whack your bike forward when it is on the stand it may fall over. don't whack your bike when it is on the stand. the design allows you to ride off. (the stand)

obviously the center stand is not always the best option to use in some situations.

no experience with the H&B stand so I didn't vote.

#8 ·
"This aint no offroad bike....what are you thinkin!!!!!!"

Seems Big B put it most succinctly.
Look at the ground clearance of BMW GS parked next to the Strom. Similar in overall design but intended function is much differment.
Not that a person could not go exploring but the rate of exploration would be reduced.
As far as folk bumping their bikes off the center stand, that's just personal clumsy.

#10 ·
Julles, the posts you have referred to are dated from '09 back to '05. Things may have changed since then. Of course, you have to go with what your riding style will be, any centerstand will reduce ground clearance, so if you plan heavier off road riding that could be important. I put the Motech on my '14 DL650, and there is no way a small bump is going to roll it off the stand. It takes a good amount of force to do so. There is no problem doing normal maint., but anytime you are going to do wrenching which may include heavy torque wrench use or pulling, then you should put a strap thru the front tire and around the stand to prevent any possible movement off the stand. This is true for any bike or stand I have ever worked on. The Motech stand is very well made, fit and finish are excellent. Just my 2 cents worth ymmv.

#17 ·
I did something similar. I just bought a new bike and they gave me 20% over cost on the Suzuki stand (I am installing it myslef). Compared to the SWMotech stand on my '06, it looks a lot nicer. The upper part looks like a casting, not just welded steel and it seems like it's curved to fit better underneath.
I haven't got the bike home yet so I have yet to actually install it.

Henry.

#15 ·
I went with SW Motech as I couldn't justify spending extra $50 on the centre stand and the shop didn't want to offer any discounts.

All in all i'm happy with my choice. Feels sturdy but a bit unstable and I can see it falling if I'll put it on a bit of slope.

#16 ·
Hepco & Becker

I have a Hepco & Becker centre stand, had it 2 years, never scraped it. I had to elongate 1 mounting hole by about half a millimetre it then fitted perfectly, it is one of the easiest stands I have ever used to get my 2012 dl650 onto and off of, once on the stand my bike is very stable. Quality of welds and materials look good, I have sat on the bike while it is on the stand (I weigh 90kilograms/195pounds) with no problems. I will pay a bit extra for quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.