StromTrooper banner

Display Scrolling?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  1stgenfarmboy 
#1 ·
Got my new 2014 leftover vstrom last moth and I am loving it. However, the the display has started to scroll and I'm not sure how to stop it. It takes a minute or so then advances to the next display of data on it's own. It had not done this initially and the only thing I've done is add Oxford heated grips, power wire for my TomTom and a trickle charge plug.
Owners manual and googling has not helped. Hoping one of you all would know.
Thanks, Brian

#3 ·
Quite sure it is not getting bumped. The switch is in it's full out position and operates when pushed. perhaps it is shorted. Oxford grips seem to have a long wires and maybe i bundled and wire tied them a bit too tight. I guess I will have to start cutting ties.
There isn't a mode for scrolling is there? Or, electrical interference from the heat controller?

#4 ·
When I changed out my levers to shortys they would toggle the switch sometimes when I pulled the clutch. Just a thought. The lever needed to be moved slightly to have the hump miss the switch.

#5 ·
Pull the clutch lever back and make sure it isn't touching the switch.

#7 ·
I didn't get that. He said it takes a minute or so to advance. That could be the next use of the clutch lever. His reason for thinking the switch is not getting bumped is not a valid reason. I'd like to be sure the lever is not hitting the switch as that is by far the most common reason and needs to be eliminated by a simple check before looking for a less common reason.

#10 ·
Wow! Thanks guys. I feel like a horses A$$. It is the clutch lever. Don't think I ever looked at the display when actuating the clutch. I do glance at the tach sometimes. Time and temp probably scrolled as I was sitting at a stop light.
Glad it was something simple. I was dreading having to dress the Oxford cables again. Thanks again!!!

#11 ·
Occam's razor.... Horses not zebras.......

Absolutely and definitively rule out the most common cause before putting any effort into other possibilities. Thanks for the update.

#12 ·
Occam's razor
Great principle! I teach that to new service engineers in class when discussing troubleshooting!

For those who aren't familiar:

This theory states that one should not make unnecessary assumptions and that the answer to a problem is often the simplest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.