StromTrooper banner

Almost ran out of gas on my 650...

6K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  Texan 
#1 ·
Because I never have to put any in there! If I drove it only as needed, I would fill it up about once ever 1.5 months.... Of course I drive it for fun I have to fill it up every 3 weeks. Love the gas mileage and the range!

#12 ·
I can't commute for work "medical field service", but I for sure get out almost every weekend and also take any chance to get out for a quick stroll during the week. Add in a couple of big trips a year, and all of this helps me put up with everyone else. :grin2:
ha! there's been a time or two when I've felt some stress, real or imagined. A spin on the bike and it was gone.... like a cool breeze......least for a time!

#11 ·
3 weeks ago, I was on a business trip. When it was time to go, I gassed up and hit the road for home. My butt didn't leave the seat until I rolled into my driveway 246 miles later. With the Traxx boxes mounted, I plan for 45 mpg. The next morning, I pushed Miss V out of the garage, turned her around and she wouldn't start. Out of gas!

#16 ·
i got nervous the other day while riding when i noticed the gaspump icon blinking. finally found a station and filled up. LOL, only 4 gallons.

as to mpg: honestly, i haven't critically measured. the dash estimator sez anywhere between 55-65 but i know that's wrong.
i'm figgerin' 45-50 give or take, that or thereabouts. my previous bike - 09 ninja 650r - got 50 reg'larly.

#17 ·
RandyO,

What kind of MPG are you getting? Are you still pushing with a Darkside tire?

I've pretty much maxxed out at 6 fillups in a day with a 16T front sprocket while doing 70+ on the slabs for an IBA ride.

Cavenger, Drive far and fill up frequently!

#18 ·
I get antsy if I don't ride every day! My wee get's 50-55 in town and got 45 on the highway with OEM tires and side cases. Put on Mitas E-07s and have Mosko Moto soft luggage on order so my highway mileage may change a bit. It is nice to "fill it up" for $10 or less!

#21 ·
So far I like them. About 800 miles since install. The are a touch noisier than the stock but not too bad. I find them a little twitchy and more sensitive to rain grooves, wind, etc, which is understandable when switching from a flat street tread to a more knobby tread. I ended up putting a fork brace on after the tires and that helped. I'm not an overly aggressive rider so I haven't noticed any issues on the road. The tires seem to handle wet roads and turns well.

I've ridden 50-75 miles of dirt so far, mostly hardpack, some sand, and rocks, and they are a huge upgrade over the Trail Wings. I'm planning to take a week or so over the next month to do parts of the AZBDR so that will be more of a test for the tires.

I paid just under $300 for the set with on Twisted Throttle, so they aren't cheap but better than TKC80 or Heindenau. Folks are reporting good mileage and I like that the Dakar version has reinforced sidewalls, which is important due to our rocky backroads here in AZ.

I'll do a detailed review later after I have more miles and more off road experience with them.

#28 ·
When the pump light starts blinking, you have just under two gallons left. When the bar and pump start blinking, about a gallon. That's when I start looking for gas but have ridden twenty miles into that with no problem, never took more than 4.8.

Usually I just watch my trip meter which I reset at every fill up. Being conservative at 48mpg, I'll go no more than 225 miles between fills. On a good day, I do that by noon :)

Reactions: xmoto
#27 ·
i have a 2010 650 V-Strom my book states 5 lts left when Gaspump warning starts blinking and 3 ltrs left when the last red Square block warning starts flashing ive gone down to Gaspump warning and have put in 15ltrs into my 22 lt tank SO I would still get 100km when first warning starts

#34 ·
One of these days I'm going to carry my little 1/2 gallon gas can with me and let the bike go until it runs out. I'd bet it would get dang near 300 miles.

#35 ·
I too rarely get the kind of mileage y'all talk about, but I don't ride with mileage in mind. On a day when I'm just tooling around the back roads at 50 or below.. I do get a little north of 50mpg, but throw my 205lbs and loaded panniers and top box on, and hit the interstate, the figure instantly dips to 40. Try to keep up with the truckers, and it dips below 40. Throw in a headwind and lose another couple. This doesn't bother me tho, as it still does what I want it to with no probs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.