StromTrooper banner

16t sprocket, how far off is the odometer?

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  PeteW 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 Glee. I changed the front sprocket to 16t so the Speedo is accurate (and I prefer the RPMs at the speeds I drive), but rumour has it the ODO is now off. The question is, how far off and how to calculate?

Can you tell me the percentage that the ODO is off? I read somewhere 4%... so if I travel 100 miles, I've actually gone 104 miles? Or is it dependant on speed?

I know I can figure this out with my GPS... but likely easier if the answer is already known so I can use that value in a spreadsheet to calculate real mileage vs stated.

#2 ·
#3 ·
My testing comparing odometer to the gps was 2.6% low. Tire brand/size, tire tread depth are also going to contribute to odometer reading. There is not one exact percentage to use. Even gps readings can vary.

#7 ·
ho,

so i just picked up my 650 with spokes and passed the 800km (500mi) break in recommended in the manual. i purchased a 16T nylon lined suzuki sprocket and had it installed during the first oil change. the mechanic pointed out that suzuki moved the speed pick up to the top of the front sprocket bolt and this will effect the speed and distance recorded. i elected to have the 16T sprocket installed anyway because i liked it on my previous wee. i gather based on this discussion that the speed indication is improved but the distance tracking has been reduced by 4%. my question is can this be corrected with be corrected with one of those speedometer programmers.

picture of the speed censor and trigger lugs enclosed.

Attachments

#8 ·
The problem is the odometer and speedometer get their signals from the same sensor and they have different error levels. Whether you use a sprocket change and/or electronic corrector, the different error levels mean you can't compensate for both. The same correction factor will be applied to both so the differing error levels will remain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.