StromTrooper banner

Which front head lift stand works for you?

10K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  newzhack 
#1 ·
I tried to use a Venom head lift stand with an adaptor pin for the 2014 DL650. I found out the Venom stand isn't tall enough to lift the bike. The pin doesn't reach the hole in the bottom of the triple tree clamp. I kinda thought these stands were all pretty similar at least height wise but I guess not. Which head lift stand is big enough to lift the front end of a glee off the ground? Any one have a brand name they've tried with some success.

#3 ·
I've got a pitbull hybrid stem lift stand. It has 7 height settings. I also have their hybrid swivels which convert the stand to lift the fork bottoms instead. The fork legs on my '12 are unequal length due to the pinch bolt (great work Suzuki). The pitbull stand is adjustable for each leg individually. You can mod an existing stand with a longer pin, larger wheels or boards under the wheels.

#4 ·
I also bought the pit bull hybrid stem lift front stand with the 8T pin. It required removing the screws in brake lines and the bracket to gain an unobstructed access for the pin to reach the hole.

Also, when I used it for the first time I maxed the height and the wheel still did not have enough clearance to be removed. This might have been the fault of the Shinko 705's being a little tall. Then I made the mistake of trying to remove the fender thinking this would be quick and easy to get the front wheel off.....WRONG! Next, I reinstalled the front wheel and removed the stand and put 2 x 4's under each stand wheel and hoisted the front back up on the stand. This allowed the necessary clearance to remove the wheel.

The next day I called pit bull and explained the problem. They sold me an even longer pin for $18 (1.5" longer than the 8T pin). I haven't tried the new pin yet but think it will work.

The biggest hassle with the stand is having to reinstall the brake line and bracket screws in a tight location with little visibility, it was not easy.

#6 ·
The choices are either the taller version of the Chinese head lift or a Pitbull head lift. I thing Revzilla has the best price on a Pitbull with free freight and a free pin. Keep in mind that the rear must have two point support, either a rear swingarm lift or use the center stand if you don't lift it off the center stand.

#8 ·
Thanks guys, "Spec" I've got the longer 8T pin. The flat bars that connect the bottom to top sections of your stand make the difference in height to lift the Strom. "Tony DP" I haven't seen the PitBull hybrid stand but I'll look for it. I actually tried an OEM Suzuki down tube lift but guess what the pins that go into the holes under the tubes were a bigger diameter than the holes on the Strom & the lift didn't have an adjustment for the axle pinch bolt tube being longer. I found the Suzuki OEM lift on EBay & they were nice enough to let me return it. I'm stuck with this Venom lift but it was only $40.

|

#10 · (Edited)
I was worried as to whether the Pit Bull Hybrid Headlift stand will work on my 2015 DL650. Emailed Pit Bull and got a response from George Hoffman, their General Manager. He says with stock tires and stock forks, their stand will work fine with the 8T pin. Bigger tires, different forks, maybe not.

#11 ·
Just tried out the Pit Bull stand with the 8T pin. My Glee has OEM forks, wheel, and tires. I was barely, barely able to get the front wheel out (after deflating it). The fender had to flex slightly to allow the wheel out.

I would definitely recommend either a longer pin or something under the stand wheels to make your life easier.

#12 ·
The height of the Pit Bull Headlift stand is adjustable. When I got mine it was adjusted to the lowest position. It would not lift the front tire off the ground. I adjusted it up about 1" with the adjusters, and now it has the front wheel about 1" off the ground, which is plenty. I could adjust it higher if I needed to, but I don't.

Did you adjust yours?

#13 ·
Yes, I did adjust the headlift stand...I moved it to the maximum height it would give me. The front wheel got off the ground fine. There wasn't a lot of room between the front fender and the stand (the portion in contact with the ground) and it was a tight squeeze pulling the wheel out. An extra 1-1.5" would have helped. Managed to change my tire and reinstall the wheel, just had to flex the fender a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.