StromTrooper banner

Introductions and a Question

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  RebornRider 
#1 ·
I have been lurking on this forum for about three weeks now which I started doing when I bought a new 2014 V-Strom 650A. It is my first ever new motorcycle and first chain drive I have had in a very long time. I am 66 yrs old and started back riding about 10 years ago. Have had 4 bikes since then and all were either shaft or belt driven.

What little time I have been on here has been very informative and I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

I really like this bike and have already started the farkles.

My question is this - I want to change the front sprocket to a 16t. Is there is enough slack in a new chain and in the adjustment to allow me to fit a one-tooth larger sprocket?

#4 ·
A few reasons:

-Correct speedo errors (16T makes the speedo dead on)
-A small bump in MPG (In my experience between 1 and 4 MPG - depending on your riding)
-Drop the revs for a slightly smoother and quieter ride at all speeds
-Longer 1st gear making a quick shift on acceleration not as critical

YMMV of course, but I'm rocking a 16T front and it works great for the kind of riding I do.

#6 ·
I've been toying with the idea of a 16T countersproket for quite a while now. I HATE an inaccurate speedo and don't understand why they couldn't get that right! Anyway, anybody, what's the best brand sproket to get and where does one get it?
Good luck with your new bike. Obviously, I think you made a great choice. As I look around at comparable bikes, IMHO, the 650 Strom is the best all around choice.
Ride safe, all.
g

#8 ·
The 16T sprockets was one of the best mods I did and yes, speedo is dead on accurate which tells me that maybe the speedo circuitry was calibrated for that sprocket, possibly for another model that they just used on the Strom. Some speedos will be off a bit, but these are ridiculous. 8-10%? No excuse.

But mainly I do love a quite, less revving engine, that long first gear and my mileage has increased about two mpg averaging over my last ten tanks. However it also coincided with the weather turning warmer and you'll always get better milage in warmer temps.

#9 ·
I installed my 16T sprocket today. Am really pleased with the change it made, especially for making the speedo correct!!! Only took an hour and gobs of heat to break the sprocket nut loose!! That is ridiculous for Suzuki to make a maintenance item that difficult to remove. But it is done and I am very grateful to everyone for all the information posted here on making this change!!

#10 ·
Letting the dealer change out both sprockets and chain tomorrow. Going with 16T countersprocket. Thanks to the OP for the thread and responders for the feedback!
Ride safe, all.
gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.