StromTrooper banner

Best Cleaning Methods

20K views 71 replies 47 participants last post by  dkayak1 
#1 ·
I have now driven nearly 500 miles on my 2012 V-Strom 650 ABS since picking it up with 0 miles logged last Wednesday. Having invested a decent bit of money in my new bike, and being very proud of my purchase, I want to maintain the new appearance of the bike. Cleaning the motorcycle is something I'm not to familiar with. Recommendations on the best cleaning methods? What's chemicals as well as rag/cloth/wipe/applicator materials are best for cleaning the painted plastic fairings without scratching the paint? The mirrors, headlights, fenders? Cleaning the motor, exhaust? Frequency of cleaning suggested? Anything helps.

#2 ·
Howdy, for me personally I love the layers of dirt build up around the bike. It's more of a "yes, i drive off road" type of mentality. I do however keep my chain clean. Otherwise a lint free cloth will dust your plastics, I suppose Simple Green can be used around your engine and tires, just be sure to hose it off afterwards.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 · (Edited)
Once the bugs get thick I take out a bucket of warm water with some car wash soap from Wal-Mart. Plug the exhaust and then give it a good bath using a soft, clean cloth. Then it's a rinse with the garden hose.

Remember that the bike is designed for outdoor use. It can handle a good bath ;)

#4 ·
I'm sure many others will chime in with suggestions but I only have one. When you clean the radiator, bugs and such, make sure you use your garden hose and always spray it straight on, never off to the side. It's very simple to dent and bend over the fins. I've seen guys take their bikes to the regular car wash (not a good idea) and literally flatten the radiator fins, then they wonder why the cooling system has problems...:beatnik:

#9 · (Edited)
Stephen it must be in the name since I also like to keep my bikes appearance up.

Lots of folks like will tell you to let it stay dirty to look cool rather than answering the question on how to clean it but I digress.

I treat my motorcycles like my bicycles. I only use a pressure washer during the very cold months and I do this with great care. Do not spray a pressure washer in areas that require lubrication or a soft touch such as steering head bearing, axles, swing arm, fork seals, radiator, dash etc. I generally keep the pressure washer at a good distance if needed.

I wash the bike when it is pretty dirty (after rain riding etc) with a hose by first spraying off the big stuff. I have an foam spray attachment (not expensive) that you can fill with soap (I use car soap) and foam the bike down. I do this and let it sit a minute. Now I just use a microfiber (this is all that touches the bike period) wash mitt and clean from top to bottom but I don't do the chain with this or any other area with grease on it. Good, now I rinse. If you use a foam gun the radiator will hold lots of soap and bubbles so a gentle stream of water is needed to rinse it.

Now as above I use a leaf blower. Mine is electric and cost $60 at HD. I don't like water sitting in in hidden spots so I take of the seat and blow all the water off. This is great to get all of the cracks, drying the chain and for the windscreen. Windscreens scratch easily and my general thought is anytime you touch the bike with a towel you have scratch it just a little.

So now I go back and use WD40 to clean any oil or grease on the swing arm and rear wheel as well as spray the chain down and clean it with a rag getting as much off as possible. This gets the gunk off and clears any residual water.

Now I lube the chain with my lube of the day.

Last I use my favorite product Optimum No Rinse car wash that I use as a detailer mixed with water. I touch up anything that I missed and also the paintwork.

I also have a premix of California Scientific windscreen solvent Alcohol, Ammonia, water and car soap (look at the site for the ratios) that I use with a microfiber towel when needed.

When the bike is not too dirty but just dusty I mix a bucket of Optimum No Rinse car wash and wash without a hose and wipe dry. Always with microfiber.

You should get the bike clean and apply a good wax/sealant as well. One I really like and it is really inexpensive is collinite 845. This will not leave a residue on plastics etc. and is super tough and has a great shine.

P.S. I like the ACF-50 mentioned as well as Corrosion Block. This will be going on my winter bike.

#28 ·
I also have a premix of California Scientific windscreen solvent Alcohol, Ammonia, water and car soap (look at the site for the ratios) that I use with a microfiber towel when needed.
Ammonia does not mix well with windscreens, coated or not. Even if a windscreen is coated, I doubt the edges are coated, and rock/sand chips will allow direct contact with the substrate. I thought it would be OK when I put my coated eyeglasses in a dilute solution of ammonia (which I had done 100 times before with just dish soap), and after they came out of the cleaner there were 20-30 1/8" radial cracks on the outside of both lenses.

#10 ·
All good tips Stephen - S100, leaf blower, etc. Only thing I'd add is that Pledge furniture polish I'd good for bug removal and leaves a nice shiner. Also prevents buds from sticking as much next time. And I tend to do deep cleaning less frequently, leaving more time to ride, per notacop. A drop or bash will dampen that urge for a perfect showroom shine, but I still prefer clean motorcycles and bicycles.

#11 ·
I use Armor All "Wash & Wax". Takes all the grime/bugs off with and leaves your bike looking like it took a dip in glossy Armor All High Gloss protectant.

Makes radiator hoses shine and windshield/mirrors are spotless. Removes buildup of chain oil on rear rim. Makes tires look new.

Rinses off like a charm. I use one of those glove type washcloths to get in the hard to reach spots (rims, rear shock area, rear fender housing, front fender).

It even conditions your stock seat. I wash my bike every oil change. Just rice her off with a hose in between.

#12 ·
Here are a few more tips since you are new. If you use car wash soap with wax in it, try and keep it off the tires. It can make them slick a little after the wash. Also, NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER use Armor-All on the tires or rims of a motorcycle. It will make your tires super slick and you will crash. No Armor-All EVER!

I also blow some air to knock the water out of the cracks. I just use it from my compressor. After dry, you can use bike plastic polish/protector, or spray on wipe off wax (stay away from tires!), or simply use Pledge furnitrue polish on the plastic. An added beneift of the Pledge is the anti-static for dust.

Either way, be careful and keep all slick stuff away from your tires.

#13 ·
My favorite that I have used on cars and motorcycles for 30 years is Pledge. Clean your bike or car including the engine with all the methods posted so far. Spray pledge on the engine, all over, including hoses...and go for a ride or drive. Pledge leaves a shine one your engine like nothing else. Makes it easier to clean the next time too. Cars or bikes, it works. Streaky on paint, never on tires and brakes...just in case you were wondering:)

#14 · (Edited)
This makes getting the hard to reach areas easy to clean:

bikebrush.com

For a dirty, bug splattered windshield, wet a soft towel with hot water and drape it over the shield WITHOUT rubbing. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so as it will soften up the dried bugs without scratching. Works on the fairing as well.

If I know I'm going to run into a lot of bugs / insects etc, I apply a fairly heavy coating of 303 Super Protectant to the fairing / headlight area as well as the exposed fork tubes. Prevents many from sticking but also makes for easier clean off for the ones that do stick. Dried bug splatter on the forks tubes cant be good for the seals. 303 also keeps plastic from sun fading as well.

#15 · (Edited)
I gently spray the bike with a garden hose on low pressure then wash everything but nothing that is electronic. I use a microfiber towel to clean the bike and use a good automotive wash....NOT DISHWASHING DETERGENT!! I microfiber towel the metal, plastic and rubber parts of the bike then rinse on low pressure also. Then I chamois off everything and when all is dry I'll use Bike Spirits Original Spray Clean and Polish. For the seat I use Turtle Way ICE Total Interior Care. The rims, wheels or anything that is excessive greasy will get a 50-50 mixture of Simple Green and water. For the windshield, headlight and dash I'll spray with a light mist of Windex and wipe with a microfiber towel. I'll let the windshield and headlight soak/set for a few minutes before I wipe it off.

EDIT. I apologize when I said Windex. To me Windex is a general term like Band-aid or Q-tip. I know not to use windex on plastic and I use Plexus Plastic Cleaner. I order it on-line for about $20. Works great and lasts a long time. Sorry for the confusion.

#16 ·
For the windshield, headlight and dash I'll spray with a light mist of Windex and wipe with a microfiber towel.
I always heard to keep Windex off the clear plastic parts because over time it will cause fogging of the plastic. Same with using Windex on helmet visors.

#17 · (Edited)
Cleaning the motorcycle is something I'm not to familiar with.
After 45k miles, ditto. :)

Mild soap (I use a dab of laundry soap) and warm water occasionally. A coat of wax once a year to make bugs easier to get off. A thorough degrease of the underside once a year to inspect and lube. That's it.

I do not recommend a pressure washer, ever. Period.

Most of the year, it's filthy. I like it that way.

A clean bike is a sign of a wasted day.

#19 ·
A good rain is mostly somewhat of a wash for mine, otherwise a good hose off is about all it gets. Not a bike for keeping clean and being spotless, although I see the OP is from Florida "the land of Harley's"! :mrgreen:

#20 ·
Grocery stores have plenty of it.
Works great on bugs.

#22 ·
And there is nothing wrong with that either, Stephen. My main concern is that the bike be working properly and tuned, not if my wax job is sufficient enough to catch a young lady's glance ;) To each their own. I've washed my bike once, and found it to be a waste of time. Especially during summer time, bugs just are too much to keep up with.

#23 ·
Maybe a good way to interpret those comments is it's not a bike that has to be kept spotless to look good. I think 2 weeks worth of bugs and grime looked fine during a recent trip to Colorado. That's their "natural element". Think of a working breed vs a show breed of dog. A chromed cruiser doesn't look right when grubby though.

I've since easily removed the patina, restoring them to like new until the next adventure or just a lazy period. Enjoy the freedom to get grubby (or lazy) knowing they look just fine that way and that they do clean up easily.

#26 · (Edited)
Nothing wrong with the bike being dirty after a trip away or off-road, but when I see an unclean bike that you can tell has been left that way, I either think that the owner is neglectful and/or lazy.

This is such an easy bike to clean, and as much as I'd like to you can't ride 24/7, so it's good to get out and give it a once over. Cleaning is a form of maintenance. :yesnod:

Also nothing wrong in having some pride in your bike.:thumbup:

I hope some of you don't apply the same non-cleaning principal to your own personal hygiene! :green_lol:

#27 ·
In the past I have sold my bikes to friends and friends of friends. They know that I take care of my bikes and clean them regularly. I don't like them to sit in the garage looking nasty because it is depressing to me to look at. In turn, I have bought bikes from friends who do the same.

#32 ·
Don't really ever use water except to clean the rad every now and then. I use Plexxus for plastics and then my car cleaning stuff Mothers quick detailer, Mothers or Meguiars vinyl and rubber cleaners and some degreaser for the rims. I clean the bike every day once I get home from work, or from a ride with the boys. As long as no rain, it takes 5 mins.

#34 ·
I know. I assume his mixture is very dilute, and also that not much will get onto the non-hard coated portions.

I have also had bad experiences with simple green etching aluminum and also the clear coat on aluminum wheels- apparently I did not dilute it enough and it was a hot day. I'm done with strong acids or alkaline cleaning solutions.

I have found WD40 extremely useful for removing stains on our faux carbon fiber, where nothing else worked.

#35 ·
And good for removing chain grease from aluminum wheels. Just did that this last weekend when cleaning/lubing my chain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.