First experience on a forest service road... - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650A - 2012+

DL650A - 2012+ DL 650 2012 +

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
That only shuts off the motor, does nothing for gravity.

and I'm unaware of any condition where I would want to kill power to a moving bike. - but I may be uninformed.
Assuming you are in the lowest gear and are still going too fast, killing the engine will at least allow the back tire to be locked up, providing some measure of braking force. Be ready to feather the clutch to allow the rear wheel to turn some, which will allow you some measure of better control when the engine is dead.

Another good time to use the kill switch is if you are climbing a hill, and it becomes apparent that you are not going to make it. Hit the kill switch as your forward momentum stops and do NOT pull in the clutch nor pull on the front brake lever, and it's pointless to try and balance well enough to hit the rear brake: besides, your dead engine is holding the rear wheel still. Your now-dead engine holds the rear wheel in a fixed position, and, even if you are sliding backwards, you can actually steer if you don't touch that front brake. Once stopped, feather the clutch lever to allow the rear wheel to release slightly, and you can work your way to turning around so your front is facing downhill, at which point you can restart the bike and come back down the way you came.

Best to practice this a few times to truly understand it, prior to actually needing to use it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromin'Nroman View Post
Most likely, the rear brake was useless because of the ABS.

If you don't have traction, the ABS will essentially disable the brakes.

I learned the hard way, under similar circumstances.

On unfamiliar gravel and dirt roads, especially where you may encounter a steep downgrade, it's best to disable the ABS. This can be done by removing the ABS fuses from the fuseblock or by wiring in a switch.
Would strongly advise the OP to take Nrom's advice here, as inspiration to at least go take the seat off and familiarize yourself with the location of the ABS fuse, even pull it and take a quick ride around the bock to confirm the ABS alert light stays on.

It is worth the peace of mind alone when you need it.

I've been exploring forest roads for a couple of years here in Virgina and getting away with pulling supid cr@p but felt my luck was running out, especially since I run Battlewings. So a couple of weekends ago when I finally explored a dirt road that I'd had ny eye on for a while, with many switchbacks and sheer drops coming down a steep mountainside, I pulled the fuse just to be on the safe side. Really was glad I did, and I was reminded what fun it was to ride proper dirtbike style by locking up the rear a bit.

Better to have done it and not need it than vice versa....
Old 06-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Living the Stereotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
That only shuts off the motor, does nothing for gravity.

and I'm unaware of any condition where I would want to kill power to a moving bike. - but I may be uninformed.
It shuts down the ABS system with the motor allowing for normal braking, plus engine braking.

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975

Last edited by Stromin'Nroman; 06-18-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
Would strongly advise the OP to take Nrom's advice here, as inspiration to at least go take the seat off and familiarize yourself with the location of the ABS fuse, even pull it and take a quick ride around the bock to confirm the ABS alert light stays on.

It is worth the peace of mind alone when you need it.

I've been exploring forest roads for a couple of years here in Virgina and getting away with pulling supid cr@p but felt my luck was running out, especially since I run Battlewings. So a couple of weekends ago when I finally explored a dirt road that I'd had ny eye on for a while, with many switchbacks and sheer drops coming down a steep mountainside, I pulled the fuse just to be on the safe side. Really was glad I did, and I was reminded what fun it was to ride proper dirtbike style by locking up the rear a bit.

Better to have done it and not need it than vice versa....
Point taken. I am reading everyone's advice.

2012 G-Strom - White
Old 06-18-2013, 03:12 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Assuming you are in the lowest gear and are still going too fast, killing the engine will at least allow the back tire to be locked up, providing some measure of braking force. Be ready to feather the clutch to allow the rear wheel to turn some, which will allow you some measure of better control when the engine is dead.

Another good time to use the kill switch is if you are climbing a hill, and it becomes apparent that you are not going to make it. Hit the kill switch as your forward momentum stops and do NOT pull in the clutch nor pull on the front brake lever, and it's pointless to try and balance well enough to hit the rear brake: besides, your dead engine is holding the rear wheel still...
That makes perfect sense... learn something new everyday... much obliged.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Excuse me if i'm wrong, But i believe if you hit the "kill" the ABS still works with the bike off, you have to turn off the key in my experience (On the 2012)
Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliefrench2oo8 View Post
Excuse me if i'm wrong, But i believe if you hit the "kill" the ABS still works with the bike off, you have to turn off the key in my experience (On the 2012)
I guess I'll have to try that after work
Old 06-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Is the ABS Fuse easily identified? (sorry if this is a stupid question)

Or can someone post a picture of the DL650 2012+ fuse box with an arrow pointing to the ABS fuse?

Secondly, I saw another post about installing a ABS cut off switch. Is that pretty much a plug and play deal or how complicated is that?

Not too much of a gear head but do plan to take my bike off-road.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardsley View Post
Is the ABS Fuse easily identified? (sorry if this is a stupid question)

Or can someone post a picture of the DL650 2012+ fuse box with an arrow pointing to the ABS fuse?

Secondly, I saw another post about installing a ABS cut off switch. Is that pretty much a plug and play deal or how complicated is that?

Not too much of a gear head but do plan to take my bike off-road.
Check out eastern beaver, his kits make things fast and easy!

VStrom
Old 06-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Living the Stereotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_McBride View Post
Point taken. I am reading everyone's advice.
Hey, if you make it up to my neck of the woods, here's a 40-mile route of "Cadillac Gravel" that does not require the deactivation of your ABS and is Trailwings-friendly:

NC-215 S/Parkway to NC-191 N/Brevard Rd - Google Maps

Stromin'Nroman NC28729, USA

DL650A K7 (Greywolf Moto Lab's R&D test mule) June 1, 2012 - present
DL650A K7 April 23, 2007 - January 6, 2012, RIP

"Look here brother, who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?" Frank Zappa, 1975
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.