StromTrooper banner

throttle locks - what works?

22K views 64 replies 44 participants last post by  Outbackwack 
#1 ·
I HAVE to have a throttle lock. I used a vista cruise on the DL1000 I used to own. I installed a vista cruise on my '12 650 Adventure, and it will not hold the throttle open. I have the thing tightened down almost as far as it will go. The throttle does not feel difficult to use at all, so I don't think the bike is the problem.

Has anyone used the Omni-cruise?

Is there a group recommendation on throttle locks?

#2 ·
I'm not a group, but anytime anyone asks about a throttle lock, I always recommend the Kaoko. It's a beautifully made device that works perfectly, both as a solid "lock" and as a tensioner so you can have the throttle set, and still make small adjustments as needed.

Last time I bought one they were around $80 from Twisted. Worth every penny, and they can be re-sold later if you ever defarkle.

#19 ·
+3
$20 and 15 second installation. Just used on 2500 mile trip and its great. I did put a rubber band under the black rubber band it came with to increase tension.

Sure an electronic cruise control like a car is better (ie holds speed on hills effortlessly) and can be had on bikes costing double.

Liked it better than throttlemeister ($200 and lengthy install plus interferes with hand guards)

#7 ·
I currently have the Omni-Cruise and it works very well. It holds the throttle locked but is a little pricey.

I also had the plastic version of the Go Cruise. It was simple and effective but was always worried about it breaking. Now that they have a new version of the Go Cruise out, I think it would work just as well as the Omni-Cruise.

The only problem with these kinds of throttle locks is that it takes up space on the grip.

#8 ·
I agree with Huy. I have an Omni-Cruise and it absolutely works as advertised.

Having said that, I don't like the space it occupies on the grip so I'm going to look into a Kaoko setup when I purchase a Barkbusters for my new Pro Taper bars.

#10 ·
+1 on the Omni-cruise, works great and it has a thumb lever that allows easier disengagement without having to rotate the throttle.

You can also adjust the grip tension with a thumbscrew.

Well worth the money, the go cruise is OK, but the Omni is way better...

#12 ·
I had a go cruise on my fjr. It worked well enough. When I tried to remove it, it snapped like a twig. I used a vc on the Nomad. It worked really well, but would not fit the DL. Needless to say, the correct sizrd version fit, but didn't worked. I tried to tighten it just a bit more before leaving work, and snapped the eye screw in half.

Omni Cruise is on the way...

#14 ·
Omni-Cruise

I have an Omni-Cruise and love it. Just be forewarned that if you have factory hand guards you will need to space it out a bit to fit. Just let Brian know when you order and he includes the spacer kit.

#16 ·
Save yourself 20 bucks on that go cruise thing and go into your closet and pull down a coated wire hangar. Take that wrap it around your grip and twist it till you get it adjusted to where it will hold the grip. It took me about 3 rides up and down the street till I got it to where it would hold the grip at one opening at all times.

If you want to get fancy shrink a piece of heat shrink tubing over the end of it to church it up a little bit.

This one got a piece of heat shrink tubing after a while.

#22 ·
Just bought another Go Cruise today. Gave my old one to a fellow traveling through KC yesterday on his way to his home in Alaska. Still 20 bucks. No throttle locks or Throttle Meister for me thank you.

#24 · (Edited)
+1 for the Brake Away. I had one on my VTX for several years. It does cost a bit more, but once I had it set up I never had any problems with it.

A quick note on throttle locks if you have never used them - they only maintain throttle position, not actual speed. Once you hit a hill or the wind changes so does your speed. Most notably when you come up behind a large vehicle that is punching a large hole in the wind you will speed up as the wind resistance goes down.

Hope that helps.

G26

Sent from my Tricorder.

#27 ·
++++ for Go Cruise

I have a Go Cruise on mine and it was an important part of what made my recent 8 day, 2200 mile journey, 5 National Parks, 3 National Monuments through 5 states a much more comfortable ride. :thumbup:

here is the website: Amazon.com: gocruise throttle control

#28 ·
I have an Omni-Cruise and I have a Kaoko. The Omni-Cruise is well made and works beautifully. I, however, never liked sharing throttle grip space with the device. The Kaoko is expensive for what is a really simple device. It is, however, very well executed and works perfectly. The Kaoko looks factory and stays completely out of the ergonomic picture. My only complaint with the Kaoko is that it moved my right BarkBuster bar 1/2" to the right and that was enough for the clamp to get in the way of the crossbar bar clamp on my Protaper ATV Mid bars. I'm now riding without a crossbar or pad.

If I were to do it all over I'd still buy the Kaoko.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#29 ·
I have used the Cramp Buster( too dangerous when hitting bumps imho)

I have tried the kaoka, taking the hand off the throttle to try and engage is a bit dangerous, once again imho

NEP CC4, works a treat, thumb control on and off, no loss of throttle control, and cheap

I know nothing about the other few mentioned

Cheers
TS

#30 ·
Buy a u bolt for $0.79, drill two holes in a small piece of bamboo or wood or hard plastic, and clamp it to the inside of the throttle grip. Put wing nuts $0.15/ea to fasten the bolt so it's adjustable by hand and voila, save yourself $198.81.

Set by pushing the bamboo/wood/plastic so it rests on the brake lever, and tighten the nuts.

Its easy to force the throttle off if necessary, unless you really tighten the crap out of the nuts which you probably can't do while riding anyways. I've used this for 2 years no problems-- in fact it's evolved to a point where setting and releasing it is 2nd nature to me.

Easy to set with the throttle hand, easy to release, let me know if any of you want to save your money!! I've posted this ez throttle lock a few times before and no one has ever asked me about it!!

Actually I think I know the problem, I need to build a bunch of these kits and charge $120 before anyone will use it for their motorcycle

K

Auto part Fuel line Vehicle Tire Automotive exterior

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#35 ·
Buy a u bolt for $0.79, drill two holes in a small piece of bamboo or wood or hard plastic, and clamp it to the inside of the throttle grip. Put wing nuts $0.15/ea to fasten the bolt so it's adjustable by hand and voila, save yourself $198.81.

Actually I think I know the problem, I need to build a bunch of these kits and charge $120 before anyone will use it for their motorcycle
Seen people use a cable tie, which at a few pence trumps your expensive overly technical solution :mrgreen: Though yours is 1000% cheaper and less complicated than most

And this is what I mean by a cable tie:

Cable tie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#31 ·
Will the NEP Cruise, Go Cruise or any of the others that clamp onto the throttle tube work with the factory heated grips? My bike came with those, and I rather like them since they're a little larger diameter than regular grips.

Rob

#34 ·
Yes the NEP CC4 will, you just have to not fit the inside inner rubber edge of the grip over the plastic tube and it will fit fine, mine are Oxford grips, which I think are OEM, although mine are not bought as OEM

My experience with the Koako was that it fits on the outside of the bar end and with OEM hand guards on there was no way to use it without moving your whole hand from where it is positioned. In my case, my hands are placed on the inner section of the throttle tube and I can control the whole throttle without using my thumb, that can flip down safely and engage, disengage the CC4 lever quickly

#36 ·
I saw the Omni Cruise on line, and figured I could make one. Mine was laminated out of scrap ABS plastic I had laying around. It's tension adjustable for different size grips, and didn't cost me anything but the time to make it. It's not a cruise control by any means, but it's good enough to be able to rest my throttle hand on long trips, which is all I need.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.