StromTrooper banner

Windscreen and Buffeting Thread for the 2012-2016 DL650... The only one!!!

823K views 2K replies 644 participants last post by  Philbytx 
#1 ·
Cee Baileys will have a new windshield out next week. They have been using my bike to pattern out ect. I will get my bike back on Wednesday with the shield. They are taking pictures on Monday and Tuesday. What do I get? A windshield for my bike for free and fifty dollars a day for loss of bike. It will be a week on Wednesday. They should have pictures up on their site then. My bike is the slower one but beautiful one (midnight black with blue highlights). Just thought you might like another option.

Respectfully, Doug

#4 ·
Keep us posted and show some pics, I'm not a fan of CB's windshields, but at your price I would be! I've seen several of them get stress cracks around the mounting holes, this varies as to the bike model, but another option would be nice, I'm waiting for National Cycle or Rifle to make something. My MRA works good enough, I just wish it was about 6" taller. Cheers--BB

#5 ·
Not to hijack this thread, but we could use an all encompassing "windshield" thread and this title covers that.

Has anyone seen this outfit?

WindStrom Windshield for Suzuki V-Strom, Yamaha Tenere, BMW R1200GS motorcycle

Seems to be a well built unit that works with OR without the Madstad bracket on the new 2012. That would be great to be able to get it without the bracket and then add it later. About $200 plus $25 shipping.

They also have an additional lip you can order for an extra $120...

It looks like a happy medium between some of the more radical screens and the more modest ones.

Thoughts?

#750 ·
Not to hijack this thread, but we could use an all encompassing "windshield" thread and this title covers that.

Has anyone seen this outfit?

WindStrom Windshield for Suzuki V-Strom, Yamaha Tenere, BMW R1200GS motorcycle

Seems to be a well built unit that works with OR without the Madstad bracket on the new 2012. That would be great to be able to get it without the bracket and then add it later. About $200 plus $25 shipping.

They also have an additional lip you can order for an extra $120...

It looks like a happy medium between some of the more radical screens and the more modest ones.

Thoughts?
I have had one of these on my 2002 for two years now. I LIKE it. Installation was a bit funky but that likely only applies to the 02 & 03's

#6 · (Edited)
I just got the California Scientific (CalSci) shield for the 2012 DL650 and it's very nice. No Madstad needed, which is good for me since I have the SW-Motech GPS mount that went with the stock shield. Designed by Caltech rocket scientists who ride motorcycles (no kidding).

I'll take some pics next week (I just put it on today and 'm leaving on a trip early tomorrow morning) but the pics they have on their own website is pretty much it. At 6' 2" with a 34" inseam they told me I should get a size Large, and according to their estimated size chart it'd be between a Large and a Medium. I got a Large shield and mounted in the lowest setting, and took it for a brief test ride on the highway earlier today. Much less pressure on my shoulders and head, but somewhat more sensitivity to crosswinds due to the larger shield that I'm sure I'll get used to.

BTW I like the little touch that the mounting screws come with black snap-on covers that look great - better than silver screw heads or even the OEM shield's inset screw wells.

#7 ·
I have the Madstd on the 2012, have tried the 22inch GIVI. Shiels is a bit too tall for comfortable riding. I ordered the 18inch Givi from PWD, should be just right for wife and me. Until then I am using the stock '08 on the '12 Glee.

#8 ·
Hello,

I did the same thing Andreas - I had a Madstad and a Givi 260 on my '09 Strom -and it was perfect t - but, too tall on my new '12 Strom - I cannot see over the screen... i am thinking of going with the Madstad 18". I am 5'10", but I have a tall torso, and large head (XL Schoei RF1000 helmet.)

Let us know how the new setup works for you...

--John

#11 ·
John - Just to clarify, I currently only carry the 22" Givi. I'm working on putting a combo together that will include the MadStad Bracket for the Wee2 and an 18" windshield. I mentioned that to Andreas and he placed an order in advance for the 18" windshield. The 18" windshield will not be a Givi. I'll post here when I have the details worked out.

Gary

#12 ·
Hello,

I have some info. about the Madstad and the Givi 260 screen... After speaking with Mark at Madstad, I drilled an additional hole in the screen - 3 1/2" above the higher hole in the current Givi... so that reduces the screen to the equivalent of about 18.9" - as the 260 is 22.4". My conclusion is that any screen used with a Madstad on a '12 'Strom needs to be about 19" to be at the same height as the Givi 260 was with the older 'Stroms.

I rode about 20 miles with it today at various speeds - up to 80 mph indicated, and it was pretty stable, with very minimal buffeting at the high end of that speed range... I plan to go for a ride with a group tomorrow, so I will have more feedback... one thing I wonder about the Madstad, and I probably need to speak with Mark about this, is: are there more of the well nuts available, as there are more holes in the Madstad for different positioning of the shield... there are 3 sets of well nuts (6 total - one on each side) that come with the unit, but I don't think they are removable so they can be moved... having the well nuts in the additional holes on the Madstad could provide more range of vertical positioning of the shield...

--John

#13 ·
John - The well nuts are removable. They push in through the back side rather than pull out the front. To put them back in you'll have to squeeze the flange and push it back through from the back side. You might need a little screwdriver to help push it through the hole, but be careful not to pierce through the rubber.

Gary

#14 ·
Thanks Mark,

Stupid me!...I wish I had thought of that before I drilled the holes in the shield... I moved the well nuts to the upper most holes on the Madstad, and it looks like it is in perfect position...

I will be testing it today - I am going on a long ride with my cruiser friends - can't wait for the ribbing I will get showing up with a V... the ribbing stops, though, when I take them out in the twisties ...:thumb up:

Thanks for your help... all hail PWD :yes nod:

--John

#16 ·
I have the Suzuki vario windshield that came with the Adv. with it in the highest position and with the wing adjusted it was " almost " right for me. The wind flow buffeted right at the top of my helmet. So tonight I marked the shield at the center holes and drilled it out below the factory holes. This raised the windshield one inch or so and it seems to have done the trick. Was not thrilled to drill another set of holes but it was cheaper than the alternative. Just need to find some small plugs for the factory holes I left.

Attachments

#21 ·
One thing I've noticed after a day of riding and parking with the Cal Sci shield (and which I suspect would be an issue with the Wind Stream shield too) is that the added width at the base ends up hitting the OEM hand guards if the bars are locked fully to either side (as when locking the steering column while parking). It is flexible and gives way enough to allow the bars to lock, but if moved the bars did too quickly (or if you got hit with a tank slapper) I think it would crack the shield.

Not sure how the Givi or the Cee Bailey's shields mix with the OEM guards, anybody got a pic?

#229 ·
Hmm, so the Cal Sci designers embarrass themselves again! On the last designs several owners reported cracking and hand guard clearance issues. Now for the Glee a clearance issue! Not impressed. If they claim to ride as well as design, then perhaps the "C" students of engineering are the masterminds behind the project.

#23 ·
cee baileys

Picked up my vstom from cee baileys today with there new windshield. I hopped on the freeway for about 60 miles and it was fantastic no buffering or wind noise. I received the 24 inch model in light gray also headlight protectors. I am 5'11 with a inseam of 29 inches and it worked great. there are othersizes depending on your size. Look on the web site for the pictures they used my bike at least it is famous because i am not.

Respectfully Doug:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

#26 ·
Picked up my vstom from cee baileys today with there new windshield. I hopped on the freeway for about 60 miles and it was fantastic no buffering or wind noise. I received the 24 inch model in light gray also headlight protectors. I am 5'11 with a inseam of 29 inches and it worked great. there are othersizes depending on your size. Look on the web site for the pictures they used my bike at least it is famous because i am not.

Respectfully Doug:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Is there any chance you could post some pictures with the whole bike in the shot? The screen looks nice on their website, but it's hard to tell how it looks on the bike with just the closeups.

#24 ·
Hello All,

Well, I did about 200 miles on Saturday - wow! this bike is nice! As others have indicated, effortless in the twisties... after having ridden the Coucours for the past year, it is night and day...

Now, to the windshield... I have the Madstad and Givi260 I got from PWD - here are my findings:

-- very little air flow behind the shield - so much so that my helmet visor was getting condensation inside it
at speed - very rare.

-- Noise - lots of noise inside my helmet... again, at speed - above 50 mph or so...

-- buffeting above 65 mph - not too bad, but noticeable...

I had the Madstad set on the lowest hole settings - I was just looking over the shield. I am 5'10", with about 32" inseam, but I have a tall torso and large head... I wear an XL Shoei RF 1000 - which is supposed to be a very quiet helmet.

Here is my hunch - I am getting back pressure - perhaps due to being further from the shield - I also wonder about the space the Madstad places the shield - about 2" - away from the fairing... I realize some space is good, but I wonder if it may be too much...

I wonder about the Givi AF 260 airflow screen - it provides for much adjustability, and the airfoil effect is helpful. I'm thinking that is why Suzuki went with it on the vario touring screen.

The new Cee Bailey looks nice, but not easily adjustable... what are the width dimensions of the Cee Bailey? I assume it can be placed in any of the 3 positions just as with the stock shield...

Thanks,

--John

#32 ·
Windshields

Based on the various recommendations from forum members, I ordered the GIVI AF3101 windshield. It is without a doubt the best engineered and well built w.s. I have ever used on ALL my bikes over the past 50+ yrs of riding. That includes cruisers as well. The GIVI Air Flow w.s. allows only a very mild, clean air flow pattern and naturally, no buffeting. Fit and finish is excellent and mounts very easily with w.s. holes matching the Wee's mounting system to a "T". I had a California Scientific w.s. first and that was so poor I put my stocker back on. It was made of extremely thin material and the mounting holes were difficult to match up. I looked at the new Cee Bailey w.s. and was not impressed. Various other w.s. looked so large that they looked strange and out of proportion. That was their answer to the buffeting- make a huge w.s. that you would have to look through to see the road ahead. Not my preferred way to ride, esp. at night or in the rain. I cannot emphasize enough how well the GIVI manages the wind flow and it is worth the amt they charge,$225.00. Because it flat out works as advertised. Thanks to all who recommended the GIVI AF3101.

#33 · (Edited)
I ordered one over the last weekend from Competition Accessories ($202 incl. shipping) and I haven't had any word of it shipping yet. There was some text on a picture about pre-order, but everything else in the order indicated it would ship soon.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Givi-AF3101-Airflow-Windshields-Suzuki-DL650-V-Strom-2011

Has anyone ordered one in the last week or two and received it yet, or has it en route?

I'm really hoping to have it in the next week or so for an upcoming longer trip.

#34 ·
I ordered one over the last weekend from Competition Accessories ($202 incl. shipping) and I haven't had any word of it shipping yet. There was some text on a picture about pre-order, but everything else in the order indicated it would ship soon.

Givi AF3101 Airflow Windshields - Suzuki - DL650 V-Strom - 2011 - Compacc

Has anyone ordered one in the last week or two and received it yet, or has it en route?

I'm really hoping to have it in the next week or so for an upcoming longer trip.
I want to order one too, but that place dont seem to ship to Canada.
Did someone found another store that sell it, from Canada, or US that ship to Canada?

#36 ·
I also ordered from them and noticed the "usually ships in 7 to 10 day" sentence on the order. So after a day or two I decided to give them a call to get more info. The person on the line said that they receive shipments from Give every friday and that I should get my windshield the following week. We'll see.
Thanks for that info, hopefully that means mine will go out soon...