StromTrooper banner

Hand Guards

21K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  notacop 
#1 ·
Will these help in a fall, they are OEM and don't look terribly sturdy. I keep reading that everyone buys hand guards after their bike takes a fall, will they make a noticeable difference?

I just installed sliders I'm sure they won't protect the bike like the engine guards but I think they could help.

2012 - 2017 VSTROM 650 DL650 V-STROM 650 NEW OEM SUZUKI HAND GUARD SET

#3 ·
I have had the Suzuki OEM guards both on my previous DL650 and now my Vee2.
They work great in wet and/or cold weather but they didn't stop the ends breaking off the levers in low speed tip overs. The guards flex too much when the bike falls over.
I think Barkbusters Home - Barkbusters would provide much better protection for the levers if that's what you want.

#6 ·
I use Barkbusters and could feel no difference because of the extra weight.

You can buy bar end weights for Barkbusters if you feel you need them. (google it)

#7 ·
Seems like I used the stock end weights on my Wee2 with the Barkbusters.

One school of thought in ADV bikes is that the heavy metal reinforced handguards, in a crash can be bent into and jam the levers making them unusable. While the plastic ones will not even though the levers may break you can more easily do a field repair.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
One school of thought in ADV bikes is that the heavy metal reinforced handguards, in a crash can be bent into and jam the levers making them unusable.
They are very heavy gauge aluminum- I'd have to see that to believe it. If those bend then there likely much worse damage elsewhere.

Tusks are much less $ than Barkbusters.

I like that you can colour match.

Saved my clutch lever two days ago

What windscreen ??!!!

#11 ·
Even if you are using hand guards your brake and clutch perches should be mounted on Teflon plumbers tape.

This will allow them to slip and absorb the shock, this not only saves leavers but it will stop your mirrors causing more expensive damage to there mounting points.

After a get off just push things back to where they should be and ride on.

#12 ·
I put on Bark Busters but made the plastic guards easily removable by drilling and tapping two small holes in the frames and attaching the wind guards with wing nuts. Easy off when the temps go up, so I can get a breeze up my sleeve on my 'Stich jacket.

#13 ·
I put on Bark Busters but made the plastic guards easily removable by drilling and tapping two small holes in the frames and attaching the wind guards with wing nuts.
I have the same kind of setup with my Bark Busters. Great for airflow to hands and sleeves. I even removed my stock windscreen. Buffeting is a little worse but I'm much cooler for riding around town. If/when I go on a longer ride while it is hot, I'll probably put it back on just to keep bugs and rocks off me.

The support bar for the plastic guards is really beefy. I'd bet that you've got much bigger problems if you bend one of those in a crash.

#14 ·
As others have said the OEM guards work great to stop a cold breeze on your fingers (not your thumbs), but are useless in a fall. I wouldn't even want to depend on them for protection from brush. They are pretty useless. I find I have to take them off or my hands get way too hot in the summer. Barkbusters would be much nicer because you could take off the deflectors, but leave the bars on for protection.

#16 ·
Cycra Pro Bends mount up really well on Stroms, and are incredibly tough. And, if you don't like the price, you can get knock-offs on ebay for 1/2 the cost (I have some and they're very tough).

Second the comment putting teflon under your level/perches (or just make them loose enough that you can move them by hand). This might also save a broken hand or wrist if they get tangled in a wreck.

#22 ·
Pretty much just like if you have them hand-tightened....too much and they won't move when you want them to, too loose and they'll move when you don't. I've done it years and years on thumpers, just get them tight enough that it takes a bit of force to push them and that's perfect.

Reactions: Spec
#18 · (Edited)
I have Acerbis on my bike and took a good hit on a low side in the rain. Just some scuffs and the "backbone" rotated a little bit, but that was it. I used the bikes original bar ends to keep them in. It came with two sets of shields, small and big, and the big provides very good wind protection in the winter. Regardless of what you get, you want something with a metal "back bone" to absorb the impact.

#29 ·
About that teflon tape idea, just making the pinch bolt tight enough to hold the stuff in place would work the same. Then a bit of a whack and twist you could put them back where you like them.
Tight enough to hold in place, not so tight as to have them break when forced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.