Why does everyone disparage the 650 for power? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 Old 06-14-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Why does everyone disparage the 650 for power?

Granted it seems to run out of steam past 80mph but man this thing has some zip!
Twice in the past week I've accidentally got air under the front tire shifting into second and third.
No yanking back on the bars or anything stupid - I was just in a hurry to get past a knot of cages and jumped on it.
Shifted maybe 9k or better - I wasn't looking - I was just serious about getting down the road quickly.
I wouldn't think this is that uncommon so why the disparaging remarks on power?

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

2015 DL650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 06-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've had two Wees, and have generally been satisfied with the power. Never lifted a wheel, in any gear or situation, but adequate power nevertheless.

For me I guess it's just knowing there's more power out there with the Vees, with not much extra weight (new-gen, anyway), that make me lust.

But I agree that Wees have completely adequate power. My wife and I, 2-up, weigh probably 400 pounds, and the Wee does just fine. Solo, in the mornings en route to work, I come onto an uphill freeway on-ramp in either 4th or 5th gear, and just listen to the engine gain RPM, and feel it pull to freeway speed. I think I'd sort-of miss that with a Vee - where a quick twist of the throttle, probably in 3rd gear, would put me at 80ish - my default (indicated) freeway speed.

2007 Wee. Blue. 32K miles. Bought at 5K miles. Gone but not forgotten.
2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Love it !
post #3 of 93 Old 06-14-2017, 11:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

I suppose that it's because, in a world of 150+ horsepower sport bikes, 68 HP seems like a Briggs and Stratton engine to some guys. For a twenty-something squid on a Gixxer, I imagine it does seem pretty underpowered. Of course, that squid is probably wearing flip flops, shorts, and a t-shirt when he rides, so you really can't trust his judgement......

2014 Yamaha Super Tenere
2012 Suzuki DL650 (traded)
2004 HD Road King Custom (sold)
2000 Yamaha Road Star 1600 (traded)
1994 Yamaha Virago 1100 (traded)
1982 Honda V45 Sabre (traded)
1984 Kawasaki 440LTD (sold)

post #4 of 93 Old 06-14-2017, 12:07 PM
Keeper of the Glee

Mine is just F-U-N to ride I love it and has plenty of power for commuting to work and getting me through the mountain roads to my weekend house......oh yea 55-60 MPG ain't bad neither.
Big B and Brojon like this.

2015 V-Strom 650
2015 Victory Cross Country
post #5 of 93 Old 06-14-2017, 12:10 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I've only run out of throttle a couple of times passing trucks on the open highway. Aside from that it has all the power I need for my style of riding.
RazzleH likes this.

2015 DL650 ABS - New beast (Bestem top box, Givi crash guards, Kisan headlight modulators, Grip Buddies, fork brace)
2005 DL650 - Wee Willy lives again as NOTACOP's project
post #6 of 93 Old 06-14-2017, 12:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

You can always ask for more power but most of the time I'm not wanting in ~70mi of daily freeway commuting and longer road trips...

*except* when hitting strong headwinds, as at the San Gorgonio Pass wind farm on the I-10 near Palm Springs, I couldn't get the bike above 50mph and was desperately trying with so many cagers and trucks passing at ~80 or more. I've hit similar stretches of the I-5 between LA and San Francisco like this, head and side winds, and there is always some attenuation by the aero-efficiency of the windscreen and sidebags, but yes I'd not turn down more top level power in these kinds of conditions.
Brojon likes this.
post #7 of 93 Old 06-14-2017, 12:24 PM
Keeper of the Glee

Maybe you should drill out your muffler for more power. (Joking)
SinNH, JBoyea, DesertBike and 1 others like this.

2015 V-Strom 650
2015 Victory Cross Country
post #8 of 93 Old 06-14-2017, 12:29 PM
$tromtrooper

90% of the time I'm completely happy with the power of my 650(115K). Living near and riding in Montana, Idaho and Utah with 80MPH speed limits pushes the 650 to its limit. Add headwinds to that and the need just keeps me thinking of more displacement. Just came back from Torrey,Utah(400+ and 600+ in 2 days) and feel that way more than ever. Locally that rarely happens.

DL-650 K5 red
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.
post #9 of 93 Old 06-14-2017, 12:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindex1963 View Post
Maybe you should drill out your muffler for more power. (Joking)
well no joking, I have (had) been considering aftermarket exhaust solutions, but so many tradeoffs not the least of which are $$$$, noise pros and cons, etc etc, but that's a different thread. I don't find myself stuck all that much anyway to spend the dough when there's other stuff I'd like to add first.
post #10 of 93 Old 06-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Power

My wee is smallest new bike ever for me in fifty years of riding and by far main means of travel since 1973. I picked it after riding two DL 1000 and two wees.First time I ever got the smaller motor of two so much alike. For years wanted the bad bikes and had more sport bikes. My 1983 GS1100ES was first bike most the mags got in to the tens.10.99 ,Vance and Hinze rode the rare one to a dealer if so many sold to top dog that year.Nice blue and white. Sold mine never down but motor down again.Lots of strip time but paint looked great.A guy that races them in vintage had been pushing me to price it for a year and let it go.
Back to wee,Will be 71 in a week and still like power but do not need it as much.My wee will see 100mph about every time out at one point not far from my place. It will eat my so slow C50 800 alive at any speed. As I tell every one. They are not pretty,look right dirty,do about anything good ,and a few better than any bike owned of over 30 in last 50 years. Whats not to like?
The new 1000 with the two into one I really like and feels more like the 650 on crack, but do not at my age ever see me getting another new bike. Have way too many now and with the two Wee,s should have enough for the rest of my riding life.
rattlinjack and Gogodammit like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode