Headlights failed - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-18-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Headlights failed

I have a 2015 650 Adventure ABS with 20K on it. Just love the bike and this is the first problem I've had. Two weeks ago the headlights, high and low beams, quit on the way back from running an errand. They came back on in about ten minutes. I don't know what caused it, but they worked fine until a couple of days ago and after a stop, I came out started the bike and the headlights were dead, and they're still dead. I read some posts about this problem happening on older, '06 or '07 models, but I could not find the suspect wiring harness connect(s) which were corroded and causing the problem in those bikes. The connector was supposed to be located on the right side, behind the radiator. Didn't see that on my 2015 model. Have these been moved to say, under the seat?

Fuses are fine and the H-4 bulbs are fine. I'd appreciate any insight on this lights-out problem on the 2015 model.

Thanks,
Gordon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-18-2017, 10:17 PM
Moderator++

Garage
This happens all too often. Every V-Strom can benefit long term from installing headlight relays early on. Later, the problem needs to be fixed before relays can head off further problems. See Headlight problems?
chicago likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s
See http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Light at the end of the tunnel...

I posted my problem to the Stormtrooper forum last night and got a reply. He didn’t have any direct leads on my problem with the lights, but posted a link to a poll taken among 650 owners. The poll indicated that with the lights out problem, 39% of the time it was traced to the starter switch. Folks suggested to just “clean” the switch contacts and you should be good. This morning I waded into the right-side, split plastic covered mounting piece, two screws, and eventually freed the switch from the housing. Turns out the switch is sealed on this 2015 model, but there are two tiny places where you can spray in some “contact cleaner”, which I didn’t have. What I did do was operate the switch about fifty times in succession, fully depressing it now that it was freed from its housing, with the idea of abrading the internal contact points, and I sprayed a tiny bit of WD 40 into the switch where possible. There are four wires soldered to the top of the sealed switch. Two of the wires showed a very slight browning/tanning at the end of the insulation near the solder dot. All four solder points are very close together. I moved these wires around a bit and reassembled the whole unit. When the starter switch is actuated, contacts move when the button is depressed to opening a circuit to the starter motor and severing the circuit to the headlights. When the engine starts and the button is released back to the default position, the circuit to the headlights is restored. This is the case on the 2015 model.

After trying this approach, I was delighted to find that the headlights worked just as advertised. I'll see how long this lasts under stock wiring conditions. Some posts on the forum have reported very high mileage on the original H-4 headlights as well as no trouble with stock wiring. So I'm hopeful I can ride along relatively care free going forward. Cheers.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Moderator++

Garage
It appears you wrote the last response for another forum and copied it here without any alteration. Anyway, learn the lesson others learned the hard way. Install relays rather than hoping your fix will last. It probably won't.
realshelby, chicago and broc11 like this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #5 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thank you greywolf. I've taken that advice to heart and am looking into the ER fix suggestions found on this nice forum. Take care.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 04:01 PM
Moderator++

Garage
Your lights will be a little brighter to with the power that used to make heat in the wiring making light instead,

post #7 of 12 Old 05-19-2017, 11:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

I wonder if it's a matter of using the switches often. I made to 80K+ miles and finally got the EB wiring. I don't flash the lights much.
Then again, lots of the problems that some folks seem to have others never report. riding style?

By the way, guys on there BMW single 650 forum seem to have the same problem. Saving a few bucks in manufacturing of the companies.

Last edited by notacop; 05-19-2017 at 11:15 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-20-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

It was the starter button switch that seemed to cause the lights out problem, not the high/low/pass beam switch on the left grip.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-20-2017, 08:48 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

There's only 5K on my new-to-me 2012, and I took the advice of others here and put the Eastern Beaver relay kit on yesterday. Was very happy as I didn't even have to remove any body panels to do the install.

I ran the main power cable along the left frame rail, held to a breather hose by the stock Suzuki straps, and attached the relays themselves under the front fairing bracket, with lots of Dielectric Grease in the sockets. I like hearing the relays activate when I push the hi/lo switch.

I can forget about that issue now, I think.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-21-2017, 10:32 AM
$tromtrooper

I like EB's stuff, but I did have one of his relay's fail(which is rare) so those that order the harness from him might consider throwing in an extra relay. I carry two spare's now.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode