Wind screen cleaning word to the wise - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Wind screen cleaning word to the wise

So, I got a brand new wee and after almost a week of ownership I decided to give her a bath. I went to clean the wind screen with a soft nylon brush cause it had a bunch of bug juice dried up on it and the brush left a crap ton of micro swirls and scratches. I tried applying some automotive rubbing compound and polishing it in, good news it didn't make the problem worse but made no noticeable difference. Oh well, I guess you live and learn. Eventually I will be putting an aftermarket wind screen on but that is kind of down the farkle list.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 09:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
After the first scratch, the 2nd and 3rd won't hurt as much!

The windshield is not meant to be scratch resistant, but it is fairly impact resistant.

Motorcycle Windshield Care & Cleaning | Motorcycle Cruiser

Some people swear by a microfiber cloth and lemon Pledge for regular cleaning. Personally, I still use Plexus. If it's good enough for an F16 canopy, it's good enough for my bike!

Novus is also very good, but somewhat expensive. They make a fine scratch remover which may help with your windshield.
notacop and EMFL like this.

2015 VSTROM 650 X ABS EXP
Previous rides: 2012 KLX250S, 2006 VT1100C2, 2002 KX125, 1999 SV650, 1987 GPZ305
Bikes I wish I had: Ducati 916, Harley Road King, KTM 500 EXC, BMW R1200RT, Honda CRF1000L, BMW R75
post #3 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 10:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Novus1 for regular cleaning and Novus 2 for scratch removal
Lrobby99 likes this.

Bikes currently owned: 2012 DL650 Adventure, 2013 Ultra Limited, 2004 Sportster, 2002 SV650S, 1982 CM250C Honda, 1957 Harley Servi-car

post #4 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the info, that is a very informative article. I too have work experience on the ole fighting falcon

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Just ordered the novus 1/2/3, 2oz kit from amazon

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Lrobby99 likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-18-2017, 05:38 AM
$tromtrooper

Microfibre is your friend. I've never got a screen really clear with Novus tho it helps...maybe not enough elbow grease.

You could try the RainEx for plastic as it might smooth out the scratches and works the charm in the rain. Make sure it's the "for plastic" version. Makes bugs come off right quick.

Now you've made me feel guilty since the Wee is a bit grubby ( yearly bath is overdue )

The pretty CBF gets more cleaning attention.....Honda sure does red

OP - high on your farkle list should be a Madstad bracket...if it's available for your model year you will NOT regret it.
Big B likes this.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold Canada > 10 Wee ABS 2009 CBF1000 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

Last edited by Macdoc; 05-18-2017 at 05:42 AM.
post #7 of 21 Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 AM
$tromtrooper

Microfiber comes in different levels of quality, and care perfects performance. I have a lot of them because I use no rinse type car/mc stuff almost weekly even in winter. I have a few of one color that I just use for cleaning stuff like face shields and mc windscreen. I take particular care of them and never use them for anything else. I have found Plexus to be pretty good, easy to find and not to pricey. Technique is most important. Plenty of good info out there. Even so, the swirls/micro scratches still happen but not so often and not in an overwhelming way. One thing on using MF I find important is to always visually inspect before use for anything stuck on/in it and by quartering it you get to use a new surface of the towel easily to avoid marring with stuff removed with first wipe. Sorry if you already know all this.

2011 dl650
post #8 of 21 Old 05-18-2017, 07:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

That'll teach you for trying to keep it clean.

After a trip and the bugs are caked and wind/sun baked on the windscreen I wet a couple paper towels and lay them on the windscreen for a few minutes to re-hydrate the bugs. After that spray with the garden hose and 99% of the bugs wash right off. If there are a few stubborn ones left soapy water and a soft clean cloth make short of what's left.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-18-2017, 07:57 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Factory screens are Polycarbonate on these bikes. But it does not have the hard coating that polycarbonate needs to keep it from scratching so easily. It is very soft without its coating. It can be polished, but takes very fine compounds. With the coating, do NOT polish them often or with course compounds. Once you break through that coating it only gets worse.

Most aftermarket windshields are made of Acrylic. That is naturally more scratch resistant and much easier to polish out swirls and such.

Wetting a windshield and laying damp rags on it really works to soften bugs.
Big B, Lrobby99 and Rides2Work like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields for 2012+ DL 650-transform your V strom. Nothing compares.
Have questions about the Quiet Ride or clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com
post #10 of 21 Old 05-18-2017, 08:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

I spray Meguiars Quik Wax on my windscreen, then buff out with a microfiber cloth.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G175...uiars+quik+wax

It keeps the windscreen crystal clear and also makes it easy to clean off bugs after a ride. I also apply it to the headlight plastic and all the painted trimwork on the VStrom. If you accidentally spray it on black plastic, it won't leave a white residue.

It works just as well on automobile windshields, too.
Lrobby99 and EMFL like this.

Last edited by mowcowbell; 05-18-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode