Luggage frame and back rest - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Luggage frame and back rest

My new 2015 DL650 adv came with a luggage frame and side luggage. I am confused about the Trunk Box Luggage Rack Mount.

- Is it a universal mount or would I need an adapter for the various top boxes out there?

- Can that mounting plate come off and the rubber cover be put back on without having to remove the entire luggage frame?

- If money wasn't and object, I'd have a Corbin seat and backrest, however, that is not in the cards. What are my options for a passenger backrest for my wife? She only rides with me occasionally and doesn't have a jacket with back protection.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170517_075323.jpg (91.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20170517_075300.jpg (95.9 KB, 26 views)

2015 DL650A, Tusk Handlebar Riser - 30mm, SW-MOTECH Center stand, Adventure Tech mirror extenders with ram ball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

I am in the exact same boat as you. The wife is used to having a backrest and really wants one on the Strom. I have the exact same OEM bracket and was just going to order the yescom 30l tail box from Amazon for $36.95. It has a backrest pad that comes with it and looks like the brackets would mount to the OEM bracket. If it doesn't pan out, oh well, I'm only out $40.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 09:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

To answer one of your questions, I do not think the rubber pad can go on unless you remove the pannier mounting bracket as well.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Moderator++

Garage
Permanently mounted top boxes can be attached to that top plate. Quick release type cases need an adapter plate. Most top box users have found the just using the top box for a back rest with a jacket having a back pad works best. Boxes with a pad included make the pad intrusive to the passenger.
kd70qc likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s
See http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #5 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 AM
Fox
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Permanently mounted top boxes can be attached to that top plate. Quick release type cases need an adapter plate. Most top box users have found the just using the top box for a back rest with a jacket having a back pad works best. Boxes with a pad included make the pad intrusive to the passenger.
This has been my experience. I bought the backrest for my Shad topcase, but my girlfriend prefers to just lean against the case itself because it would otherwise pitch her forward slightly. Her jacket's back pad is enough.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for all of the responses. I just ran into another snag. My wife and I are both 61. She has an artificial hip and can't swing her leg over the side bags. I took them off and she barely got her leg around to sit and getting off was worse. If I have a back rest, her leg won't clear it. My old Nomad was so low that it wasn't an issue. I know we are an ageing community, has anyone dealt with this issue before?

2015 DL650A, Tusk Handlebar Riser - 30mm, SW-MOTECH Center stand, Adventure Tech mirror extenders with ram ball.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 09:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yah, we got a side car and until the wife had the second hip replaced we terrorized the west.
My Luftmeister trunk had a back rest on the BMW. The JC Whitney top box has a faux pad that may provide some level of comfort, especially if you are wearing a moto jacket with a back pad.
DavidL likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 09:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
She has an artificial hip and can't swing her leg over the side bags. I took them off and she barely got her leg around to sit and getting off was worse.

Mounting and dismounting can be a bit tricky, especially with luggage on the bike. You may need to let her get on first and off second. We're a bit behind you in years but my wife isn't as agile as she once was. We use this method when we have the panniers on the bike.

As stated, for a backrest use a trunk. I use the Kappa KGR52 top case. My wife doesn't need a padded jacket for comfort due to the slightly rounded smooth hinge area. Unfortunately this case uses a special Givi monokey rack.
notacop and DavidL like this.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Maybe get a quick release trunk and take it off before she gets on so it isn't in the way when she gets on? Does she use the foot peg to get a little bit more height while mounting?

Just some before work forum thoughts.

Slickrock (Dan)
2013 Dl650A and 1983 Honda XL600r Thumper. Lower end of Central Valley, CA.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrock View Post
Maybe get a quick release trunk and take it off before she gets on so it isn't in the way when she gets on? Does she use the foot peg to get a little bit more height while mounting?

Just some before work forum thoughts.
Yes, she uses the foot peg. The problem with a quick release trunk is I would have to be off of the bike to take it on and off. She could use a mounting block but it would be kind of hard to carry with us

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode