Inj issue - I think - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-21-2017, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Inj issue - I think

Hi, new poster to the forum but have been helped out by you guys plenty in the past.
I have a '13 650 ABS, I do 350+ miles a week, mainly motorway and it has nearly 50k on it.
I have had all the usual issues - headlight wiring, starter switch etc even had the stator rewound (just before the recall!!)

Went I did the stator/RR before (maybe 6mnths) I fitted a voltmeter so I could see the charge before it was too late, when I started on wed I noticed the charge was only at 12.5v, even when rev'd. I drove the car in and tested it that night.

In the eve the bike started normally and ran ok, my multimeter confirmed a lack of charge. I started the normal checks to find the fault, knowing I still had an outstanding recall on the stator. I checked the resistance across the 3 parts of the stator - all 0.5ohms.
I then checked the resistance between stator and engine case - only 0.6ohms..looks like stator shorting out?
Thought I'd just check the current from the stator to be sure, bike was very reluctant to fire (battery still good) when it did fire it cut out after a few seconds and refuses to restart.

Assuming I'd pulled a plug when moving the stator wiring I've stripped the tank and air box -- all plugs SEEM ok.

Fuel pump delivers 3sec of fuel to inj, plugs fire, if I put fuel into barrel of inlets it fires and runs till for a few secs, so got to be no fuel from inj?

I have the FI on after a few secs of cranking (will get code tonight, but guess will be c33 inj?)

Have yet to check inj but have looked at wiring diag and seems wiring goes straight back to ECM?

chances both inj wires faulty seems unlikely (everything else seems ok clocks sweep etc)

So could it be a sensor, which feeds the ECM info to open inj, wire failed??

Any info would really help !!

There seems to be lots of plugs in inaccessible places to check for green rot but any info on where to start would help.

The local dealer has ordered the recall stator but without the machine running I can't get it in to have it changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Moderator++

Garage
It could be the richer mixture is allowing firing with a marginal spark. Try trickle charging the battery with no more than 2 amps using a motorcycle friendly charger before worrying about some exotic condition.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s
See http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 9 Old 04-21-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I had read about battery issues, I left the battery on charge most of the day yesterday at 1.3amps and it didn't get to 'green-fully charged' status???
And the spark was an odd colour??

Would jump leads and a car battery hurt it do you think?? I don't want to buy a new battery just to test it..

Would this cause an FI light?

post #4 of 9 Old 04-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Moderator++

Garage
Jumping from a car battery works fine. I prefer doing it with the car not running in case the car's regulator isn't doing a proper job. It does sound like you battery is bad.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-21-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

No dice, I don't think.
Borrowed a jump box from work, laid the tank over and connected pump wires and fuel lines. Spins over MUCH faster but no attempt to fire up?
I then tried the brake cleaner, still no attempt?
I'll have to whip a plug out again tomorrow and make sure I still have a spark...?
NB - FI light still comes on while cranking after 2 secs with jump box

I can't see any of the sensors around the air box will effect anything by not being connected up.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-21-2017, 04:50 PM
Moderator++

Garage
Did you check the code yet? That's the next step.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #7 of 9 Old 04-22-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

For the archives, coz I know how frustrating it is to find someone with the same issues and never get the 'fix' at the end.

i re tried it this morn with and without the jump pack - no life

Removed a spark plug, good spark with the jump on - no life

Tried brake cleaner - no life

Plugged in fuel pump, 3 sec purge produced loads of fuel. Cranked and felt inj clicking - no life

Removed inj and arranged tank so had fuel and power but could still see inj, cranked, fuel squirts from inj and backfire through inj port - no life from other cylinder...??

Put brake cleaner into inj port - a half kick of Ingnition!!!

So I've got spark - compression and fuel????
I decided to replace the inj and give up for today....

I gave it one more try ..... Started on first jab of the button and runs as sweet as a nut ???!!!!!???!!! On the, now flat, battery??

Stator tested when running - producing 30, 40and 50 vac and had no resistance to earth so I guess that is the fault on the charge system, so I'll trade in my 'Suzuki recall' letter.

What caused the non-running ?

No idea and hope it never resurfaces!!

A warm thanks to Greywolf this time, in the past and, possibly, in the future.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-24-2017, 07:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Wonder if it could be a hinky safety switch-- clutch switch maybe? They'll cause some weird symptoms. So will a battery with a shorted plate, sometimes it makes and sometimes it doesn't, and it'll cause much weirdness. For that matter, a bad battery contact (loose or cracked cable) will likewise cause strange, intermittent, infuriating issues. Also bad grounds in general can make you go crazy, producing symptoms that seem non-electrical in nature.

Good luck!

Jim

Jim B.
Grove City, OH
2013 DL650A (partially farkled)
2000 Kawasaki Concours
1973 Honda CL360
post #9 of 9 Old 04-24-2017, 08:32 AM
Moderator++

Garage
The only thing a clutch lever switch will do is prevent the starter motor from cranking. No resistance between the stator AC wires and ground/earth definitely means a shorted stator.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode