How to load Suz Alum Side cases - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

How to load Suz Alum Side cases

So far I just cram my junk into the case and dig out what I need, trying to layer stuff in some logical sequence. Does anyone have suggestions on keeping stuff organized and contained, ie pouches, bags, dividers of some type, etc. Thanks in advance.

Lovin' da Strom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 05:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

When traveling I have two 18 x 10 x 10 PVC boat bags from Bass Pro. Being PVC and water resistant I can also strap them to the bike w/o fear of getting caught in a rain shower should I need to keep something secured in a pannier. When riding local I have a small drawl string bag with a tire pump, Frogg Toggs and a few other items that floats between bikes.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...IfTsU1q9CZTQ1A
post #3 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 06:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

Waterproof rip-stop nylon bags with a roll top for stuff that should not get wet. E.g. these:

https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Dry%20Bag%20PS10/

Mesh bags or ditty bags for anything else. Put similar stuff together in one bag. So one bag is the spare underwear, another holds the cooking implements, the third one all the tent parts. You get the idea.

Get a range of different colors and sizes. By the second or third day you know what kind of stuff is in which bag and you can just grab the right one.

Don't worry too much about how to pack these into your panniers, except for making sure the weight is more or less equally distributed left/right. My experience (from extensive hiking) is that once you arrive at your destination for the night, you need the contents of every bag, so everything gets unloaded anyway. (*) The only obvious exception is that the stuff you need throughout the day (lunch, raingear) and the emergency gear (first aid kit) needs to be on top.

(*) When hiking, every ounce counts. So I only bring the stuff I actually need every day, not the stuff I might or might not need. Everything I bring therefore gets used every day.
pats and wingstrom like this.

post #4 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

From canoe camping / backpacking the AT / Philmont with the Boy Scouts:
1.) Don't leave home with broken / junk equipment - "Be Prepared"
2.) Heavy stuff at the bottom and lighter stuff on top
3.) Ziplok bags, or other brands, to sort things into groups like one's clothes (I have some XL ~2-3 gallon in use for years):
a.) If you have all of your socks together and that bag rips or gets lost, all of your socks are wet / gone, so have one-days clothes in a separate bag as a back-up
b.) Remember stuff gets dirty / stinky, so you want to keep that stuff sealed up and away from the good stuff but don't want to use one of the good clothes bags, so take extra bags and use a magic marker to mark appropriately [soiled undies ]
c.) The clear bags allow for instant inspection / inventory
4.) Packing / Unpacking almost everything is a way of life, so get used to it
5.) Emergency / routine maintenance gear is up to you but again:
a.) Keep it where you can get it
b.) Bag it so in doesn't contaminate other stuff (bag your spray can of chain lube)
c.) Think through the "what ifs" and plan for the ones that might have a 50% chance of happening (like I need chain lube every 400-600 miles), the rest you just have to take that chance, bad or good, like I'll finally meet that farmer's daughter - ain't happened yet
pats and G.Verde like this.

Last edited by spike55_bmw; 03-20-2017 at 07:41 AM.
post #5 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Moderator++

Garage
Inner bags are the way to handle items. Givi was smart enough to make them for many of their hard bags. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...i+inner+bags&*

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s
See http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #6 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the replies guys. I have ridden for many many years and know what I need to load. In fact each trip when I get home as I unload my stuff I try to note what I did not use so I can consider not taking it next trip. If I do take it it's usually road repair type items. I have only gone on a couple long rides so far but riding season is upon me. Have used gallon + zip lock freezer bags with labels so I can quickly tell whats inside and not have to look at each contents. Have thought about draw string bags in different colors, and gear bags from Cabelas and Bass Pro, and Army surplus.

Please keep suggestions coming, I appreciate all tips.

Lovin' da Strom
post #7 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

On the right side - the "skinny" one - I have a messenger bag (seminar giveaway) that carries my tool roll in the bottom, a few spares and my Frogg Toggs rain gear with room left over for a few more odds-n-ends.
A Ropax 1 gallon fits right next to it perfectly. There's actually room left over for something on top or heavier/sturdier on bottom.
Left side varies but the skinny side is spoken for as I consider these things essentials.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

2015 DL650
post #8 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

FWIW, my other two bikes are a '13 BMW F800GT, and an '00 KLR 650. Have ridden over 650K miles, been into Canada around Great Lakes, Hill Country in TX, lots or trips around OK, CO, NE, SD, ND, ID, WY, MT, UT, TN, KY, WA, PA, NC, SC, AL, MS, IL, IN, AR, NM, OR, AZ, NV, CA, WI, MI, MN, MO, KS - that's most of them. Rode Blue Ridge Parkway, PigTail Trail, Hells Canyon, Continental Divide Bicycle Trail from Mexico border to Canadian border. LOTS of near rides, looking to keep it up.

Lovin' da Strom
post #9 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Wally Mart has water resistance stuff sacks in varying sizes and colors fro 10 bucks or so. Keeps down vests and Gerbing jackets confined and not taking up an entire saddle bag.
I keep my sardine cans and energy bars in a Tupperware container that fits nicely in my saddle bag.
I found a neat plastic container with a lid to corral loose items for my top box too.
pats likes this.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw View Post
2.) Heavy stuff at the bottom and lighter stuff on top
I hope that that advice was intended for canoeing or motorcycling, in which case I agree. But if that advice came from your Boy Scouts/hiking period, then you've been misinformed. In a backpack, the heavy stuff (tent, water, food) goes as high as possible inside the bag, and as close to your shoulder blades as you can get it. This way you've got to lean forward the least to stay balanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode