Buying a 2012 - stator recall not done - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

4Likes
  • 2 Post By marcham
  • 1 Post By realshelby
  • 1 Post By G.Verde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Buying a 2012 - stator recall not done

I'm looking at picking up a 2012 and the seller said the stator recall hasn't been done, but he "has the letter".

I haven't ever dealt with a recall before -- can I expect any problems in getting this done by a dealer, or is there some 'original owner only' stipulation I need to know about?

If it's a good day to wash the bike, it's a better day to ride the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 01:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Nope. Recall is tied to the vin, not the owner.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Vhawg and G.Verde like this.

2015 VSTROM 650 X ABS EXP
Previous rides: 2006 VT1100C2, 1999 SV650, 2002 KX125, 1987 GPZ305
Bikes I wish I had: Ducati 916, Harley Road King, KTM 500 EXC, BMW R1200RT, Honda CRF1000L, BMW R75
post #3 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Don't let that stop you from getting the bike. The recall is for any owner that presents the bike ( assuming it has not be previously done ). I have been waiting for months for parts to arrive, as have many others. Probably a LOT of these won't get done because of that. On the other hand, I have 24,000 miles and the original stator is still just fine.
G.Verde likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields for 2012+ DL 650-transform your V strom. Nothing compares.
Have questions about the Quiet Ride or clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry info@werksparts.com

post #4 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

call the dealer, if parts not in have them order in parts and book a time in.

you can contact Suzuki with the Vin# have them transfer the info to you. They can confirm what recalls have been done and if future ones do you'll be contacted.

I was in the same boat as you 2 months ago... all done, all good easy peasy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rides2Work likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Don't let that stop you from getting the bike. The recall is for any owner that presents the bike ( assuming it has not be previously done ). I have been waiting for months for parts to arrive, as have many others. Probably a LOT of these won't get done because of that. On the other hand, I have 24,000 miles and the original stator is still just fine.

Yea me too.

My local dealer has my recall letter. I'm thinking that that opens Suzuki to liability if my bike breaks down somewhere.

Bummer is I have the 857 regulator waiting to install.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #6 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Yea me too.

My local dealer has my recall letter. I'm thinking that that opens Suzuki to liability if my bike breaks down somewhere.

Bummer is I have the 857 regulator waiting to install.
I wouldn't wait for the recall to put SH-847 put it when it is convenient for you. I had mine put back in Oct? and dealer had no problem with stator replacement, since I used Triumph link and the plugs were not affected.

The only reason to wait if you have the dealer do RR installation for you.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
I wouldn't wait for the recall to put SH-847 put it when it is convenient for you. I had mine put back in Oct? and dealer had no problem with stator replacement, since I used Triumph link and the plugs were not affected.

The only reason to wait if you have the dealer do RR installation for you.

I don't have the Triumph harness. I bought the kit from Roadster, have to solder/crimp the wires from the stator.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #8 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I don't have the Triumph harness. I bought the kit from Roadster, have to solder/crimp the wires from the stator.
The only thing I could suggest is cutting and soldering both sides off OEM RR. I gave it a thought initially, but then decided to keep OEM plugs.

Just in case if it fails on the road and taken to dealer or needs to be fixed in the middle of the joney it is still 100% compatible with OEM parts.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-21-2017, 01:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had the recall completed just a month or so ago. Dealer said he'd have to order the stator which would take a week or so. Then the Service Mgr called to say he had a new stator in stock and the work was complete in 3 days. I was a little taken aback. He showed the original stator to me, and I asked how he knew if the new in stock stator output was good, did he check output? He said no, I just did what Suzuki directed. So, I'm watching for signs of low output while riding. I was surprised and thought it odd, but so far everything appears to be working fine.

Lovin' da Strom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode