StromTrooper banner

Center stand question

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  PerazziMx14 
#1 ·
Quickie question since this will be my first time. Have a center stand and wheels need new rubber. Can I remove both wheels if MC is on center stand? Have a customer/mechanic that will put on tires at reasonable price if I bring wheels in.

#2 ·
My bike is nose-heavy while up on the center stand (SW-Motech others might be different). No problem removing the rear while on center stand. With the rear tire back on, I imagine I could weigh down the back with some sandbags and lift the front wheel in the air for removal but I haven't tried it.

I have a cheap cycle lift (pic), so both wheels can be off at once. I can get new rubber installed on both wheels in one trip to the shop. Please note that I have several heavy straps attached to the pillion grips in the back of the bike to offer some more stability and a safeguard to an all out catastrophe.

If you try to use onlt a center stand to do a removal / reinstall of the rear and then try the same on the front, I would use a strong strap or several big zip-ties to firmly "lock" the center stand in the cocked position. There will be hell to pay if you pull the bike forward and over the center stand's tipping point. It'll break bones.

Attachments

#7 ·
If you try to use onlt a center stand to do a removal / reinstall of the rear and then try the same on the front, I would use a strong strap or several big zip-ties to firmly "lock" the center stand in the cocked position. There will be hell to pay if you pull the bike forward and over the center stand's tipping point. It'll break bones.
He is soo correct, with bike on centre stand on 3/4"plywood for extra clearance I gave a tug to get rear wheel clear of fender. Next thing I know DL650 is on her side on garage floor and I am setting on my work stool holding the rear wheel. :surprise::surprise::surprise:
Thank goodness for no spouses car in garage at the time and for protection bars!!!
Now I always lock the front brake or suspend the front end from ceiling as mentioned.

#3 ·
To pull both wheels off the bike, I put the center stand on two 2x4s. This gives enough height to the bike to pull off the rear tire first and clear the back fender. Then I lift the front end with two straps secured to the ceiling with eye bolts. In this picture I also took off the forks to replace the seals.

#4 ·
While I'm not yet a Strom owner, I've owned a couple of bikes with center stands and had to rig up a variety of methods to remove both wheels (I too have a buddy that will replace tires on the cheap if I bring him the wheels).

Method #1 - The Hangman
Similar to above, I tossed a couple of straps over the truss beams in my garage and simply pulled them taut.

Method #2 - The Bricklayer
I stacked bricks under the oil pan with a piece of plywood on top, so my aluminum pan wasn't resting on hard brick. I did this for my Concours and I felt that was still a smallish footprint to balance 600 lbs. of bike on. So I placed a wooden sawhorse on each side of the bike and ran a couple of straps between them. I figured that, if the bike did go, the sawhorses would hopefully provide enough support to keep it from hitting the floor. Thankfully, I never had to test my countermeasures.

Method #3 - The Powerlifter
I invested in a $99 Harbor Freight lift similar to the one pictured above, and this is my current method. However, I never feel 100% safe when I have to jack the bike up on the lift, even though it's supposedly rated to 1000 lbs and I have the bike strapped to D-rings on the lift. The lift's contact pads are not a good fit for my current bike, so I've had to mod up a piece of lumber for added support.

Bottom line, I prefer to only remove 1 wheel at a time. But for those occasions where both wheels have to come off, a variety of approaches can work. The key element, to me, is that you simply recognize the bike is in a very precarious position sans wheels and you want to take extra precautions to prevent a catastrophe.

#6 · (Edited)
...Bottom line, I prefer to only remove 1 wheel at a time. But for those occasions where both wheels have to come off, a variety of approaches can work. The key element, to me, is that you simply recognize the bike is in a very precarious position sans wheels and you want to take extra precautions to prevent a catastrophe.

The solution is track stands.

Get a front triple tree lift and you can take the forks off too.

I wouldn't be working on a bike with wheels off that was hanging by straps, balanced on 2x4s, etc. :confused:

#8 ·
Remove the front first and replace it last, this will give you extra clearance for the rear wheel.

If you have a bash plate a car jack under the front will give you the lift you need for the front wheel but I prefer to hang mine from a block & tackle (or a ratchet strap) that way the bike can not fall no matter how much I stuff up.

Loosen all nuts and bolts before putting it on any auxiliary stands and it is firmly on terra firma.

#9 ·
Short answer, no you need the support of the front

Years ago I picked up a couple of oem honda car jacks from a junkyard

I put those under the forks and that holds the bike up.
But it's kind of sketchy I don't leave it like that if kids or pets around around.

The option of hanging it from the rafters seems more secure.

The option I use, is paddock stand, even with my bikes center stand using the paddock stands just felt more secure.

#10 ·
Remove the front wheel 1st then reinstall then axle. Place a jack under the axle for support and move onto the rear wheel. I'd suggest loosening the f/r axle bolts prior to removing any of the wheels.

As suggested its a good idea to lock the centerstand in the deployed position with a ratchet strap or HD zip ties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.