StromTrooper banner

Bales oil filter adapter?

5K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Big B 
#1 ·
Anyone have done conversation on Wee2? I had looked at it in the past but didn't looked like it was worth it as it you could get Voler filters for $6.

#2 ·
I did it. I don't really have a good reason for it. I could use better Purolator Pure One filters for less cost than most 1mm thread pitch filters but that really won't make a significant difference either in engine life or money savings. It looked good though. I've never hear of Voler filters and don't know if they are any good.

#5 ·
I don't get it. All larger Suzukis, including all V-Stroms, use the same oil filters.

#10 ·
Now you're telling me these things have oil filters too?
My god, will this madness never end.

Reactions: Vhawg
#12 ·
Well cyclopathic... this is some thing I have done for the last 10 years, ride my bike in 3rd world countries. If you consider Mexico and Central America third world.
Never had a problem with oil changes any where. There are moto shops every where. Xela Guatemala had a dealer with an oil filter for my F650GS and so did the dealer in Guatemala city. I have done oil changes in Panama also with a filter available at a dealer.
There is also the ability to order one and have it delivered in any country just not instant gratification.
I will admit it is much easier to just carry a spare with you as I will do this March when riding down the west coast of Mexico. I am not ready to change the oil before I go so will just stop at a small shop and borrow a pan.

Where you going?

#18 ·
If you were traveling through Central / South America, this Bales set up appears to offer you at least 50 alternate filters if you cross-reference the PL14610.

I agree that for someone riding around in the states, you could reuse your filter with a new oil change and complete your trip 99.99999% of the time. If intact, the conventional filter is only getting better the longer you use it.

#19 ·
That's something people who go ballistic when they see trapped crud when they cut a filter apart should remember. The filter is doing its job. Filter efficiency actually improves when it gets dirty and tiny particles that might have gotten through before no longer do. Manufacturers err on the side of caution when they set maintenance schedules and the 3500 mile oil change schedule includes a filter change every third oil change after the initial one at 600 miles. I'll admit to being leery myself as I changed filters every second oil change.

#21 ·
The cold starts could be an issue. When oil is thick and clogged filter gives enough resistance bypass valve will open and all accumulated crud will shoot right into main bearings. My mech told me he had seen this happen on several engines, happened to him once on V8 truck he bought 2nd hand.

His suggestion is to use oversized cheapo paper filter and in case of rebuilt, new engine or switch to synthetic replace filter after 500mi.

Now it is actually debatable that filter efficiency goes up with time. The size of the holes in media varies and if you think the smaller ones are going to get clogged first.

#22 ·
#26 ·
When the bypass valve opens, there is no flood of crud. The oil passing through the valve is unfiltered, but the crud remains trapped in the filter. The valve opening is a common occurrence, even with a new filter.

You have expressed some pretty strange ideas about bike mechanics. If you are getting you info from a single human source, expand your sources of information..
I have a habit of attaching neodymium magnets to oil filter. The ones I cut open had a visible ferrous build up on the surface where magnet was attached. Did they pass through filter? bypass valve? don't know. Most likely through filter. Paper media is rated at 20 micron, just like typical coffee filter.

It is a misconception the wear elements will embed themselves into media right away, most of them will be on the surface and will detach.

#23 ·
GW I am just passing what I was told wrong or right there is no point to argue with me.

Agree lets leave oils/filters discussion for appropriate forums. Bear with us it is very hard to discuss oil filter adapter without touching oil and filter.

I am more interested in hearing if anyone had converted on Wee2, have they had any issues with clearance, higher back pressure, etc and what was their reasoning. Any issues with installation/removal.

For me it is a concern for filter availability. Filters like PL14610 and PH7317 are very common auto filters, cheap and easy to find. Still sitting on the fence.

#24 ·
You have expressed some pretty strange ideas about bike mechanics. If you are getting you info from a single human source, expand your sources of information. Oil brands have not been mentioned here. That's what the big oil thread is basically for.

If you want info on filters with special mention of the Bales converter, see see https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

All the oil and filter discussions are really an exercise in passing time. Kith's Vee with over 400,000 miles on it has always run on car oil and used the widely criticized Fram oil filter.

#27 ·
How many catastrophic failures have occurred of "any" V-strom engines, regardless of how they were cared for? Safe to say that the air filter is much more critical than the oil filter and whatever magic fluid you fill the crankcase with, the rest all boils down to OCD tendencies and love of tinkering in the garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.