StromTrooper banner

Stator Problem recall?

211K views 953 replies 228 participants last post by  BradA34 
#1 ·
I don't know if this is common knowledge or has been posted previously but I just saw a post on Facebook that said the following:

"ATTENTION ALL V-Storm Owners: My local dealership called me yesterday and said that a system wide service recall has been issued for premature stator burnout. Contact your local dealership for info. Parts have not yet been released, but are expected to soon. I replaced my stator 2 months ago.. the local shop is working with Suzuki to reimburse me."

It was on a DL650 group but don't know if it applies to other Stroms as well.

If someone has more detail you might want to post it here.

..Tom

(Mods if it ends up only being for DL650 please move to appropriate forum.)

#2 ·
#3 ·
Reactions: BTW
#6 ·
The DL1000 was not imported in 2011.

#8 ·
I think 2009 was the last year the DL1000 was available in Europe due to emissions regulations. It was not available in the US in 2010 due to overstock and the economy. It wasn't available in the US again until 2012, its last year of availability anywhere AFAIK until the Vee2 came out.

#9 ·
I just got back from my dealer. Coincidentally, they had all of their new Strom 650's tagged as "sold." When I asked them about it, they weren't actually sold, but on a sales hold due to the stator recall. My 16' is affected as well. They didn't know much yet other than the recall is related to the stator. Said I should be receiving a letter from Suzuki soon. Oh well, probably just a bad production run of stators..

#11 ·
Reactions: midnite
#40 ·
I just called a dealer and had them run my VIN for my 2012 DL650A - not covered by the recall. I contacted Suzuki Canada about it as well.

It's presently in my garage, with a SECOND fried stator, at least, it's showing the symptoms of it. I got stranded in Adirondack Park last year and it cost me a fortune to get it fixed (and they replaced the stator but not the R/R).

Honestly, I just turned over 75,000 km on the bike, and I've about had it with Suzuki, I was at a Triumph dealer this past weekend and a BMW dealer as well. It would take a miracle for Suzuki to get me back as a customer, I think.

#12 · (Edited)
32101-17G12 is shown in the parts fiches as replacing the 32101-17G11 in 2012-2016 DL650s and 32101-17G10 in 2007-2011 DL650s.

32101-17G13 is the stator used for the recall though.

#17 ·
Interesting - I will now hold off on my regulator changeover.
I wonder if it's just a beefier stator or does it also involve a regulator change as well...

#19 ·
Update on my end. My VIN popped at the dealer as a bike with the "stator" recall. However the VIN does not have any recall status on the Suzuki website. I'm going to keep riding with the assumption that if it was serious, I would have been notified by now, or at least it would show up on the Suzuki website. If my bike catches on fire at speed, I'll be sure to notify the group:)

#21 ·
#23 ·
Mine Died but not on the list

I have a 2008 650. My stator died a few months ago (stranding me in the middle of the desert 50 miles from the nearest town - in the middle of the night!). And I feel like my R/R is not working properly either (maybe intermittently). But my bike is not on the list - and I do my own repairs, which means they probably wouldn't honor my reimbursement anyway based on their documentation requirements. While this is the only major issue on this bike in 100k miles, I'm still a doubly unhappy Trooper. Not enough to make me hate the bike, but enough to make me really pissed at Suzuki. The irony is that it would cost them less to reimburse home mechanics, since we shop for deals on parts and don't charge a markup...!!!

#24 ·
I have a 2008 650. My stator died a few months ago (stranding me in the middle of the desert 50 miles from the nearest town - in the middle of the night!). And I feel like my R/R is not working properly either (maybe intermittently). But my bike is not on the list - and I do my own repairs, which means they probably wouldn't honor my reimbursement anyway based on their documentation requirements. While this is the only major issue on this bike in 100k miles, I'm still a doubly unhappy Trooper. Not enough to make me hate the bike, but enough to make me really pissed at Suzuki. The irony is that it would cost them less to reimburse home mechanics, since we shop for deals on parts and don't charge a markup...!!!
Install a waterproof digital voltmeter like so many of us already have done, you would've likely known there was an issue starting before you got stranded. :fineprint:

#27 ·
I saw a picture of a late model replacement R/R somewhere. It has noticeably more insulation where the windings exited which is the typical burnout location. I doubt the copper is any different, The goal would be to prevent wires at that hot spot from contacting each other or ground.

#191 ·
Could this be that possible fix Pat? Dealer just called and the stator with oil change is complete, test ride was done and voltage was good and in spec. I am gonna pick it up Tuesday, kudos to Iron Pony for their quick attention to this taking a few pics.

Attachments

#28 ·
In the shop currently

2013 SV650 - 15,000 miles

My bike's currently in the shop for a burnt out stator. I used a portable jumper box to get me w/in 15 miles of home through the desert, 2 miles at time.

I asked the shop owner to order a replacement r/r as well. Parts alone are running me over $500. Since this is a known issue, it would be really nice for a recall to happen. So far my VIN hasn't shown up on suzuki's website.

Can anyone who's "been to the rodeo" before (this is my first motorcycle) advise as to how these things play out? That is, my replacement parts are on order; do I want to go through with the repairs ($$) and hope for a reimbursement or wait for Suzuki to make a move?

-Dave

#29 ·
2013 SV650 - 15,000 miles

My bike's currently in the shop for a burnt out stator. I used a portable jumper box to get me w/in 15 miles of home through the desert, 2 miles at time.

I asked the shop owner to order a replacement r/r as well. Parts alone are running me over $500. Since this is a known issue, it would be really nice for a recall to happen. So far my VIN hasn't shown up on suzuki's website.

Can anyone who's "been to the rodeo" before (this is my first motorcycle) advise as to how these things play out? That is, my replacement parts are on order; do I want to go through with the repairs ($$) and hope for a reimbursement or wait for Suzuki to make a move?

-Dave
I think it is up to you talking to the dealer, talk to him about going recall and persuade. If he cares about your business and wants a happy customer he will call Suzuki and help you. You would also have to be nice to him, potentially buying some stuff from.

You could also try to call Suzuki directly and ask for advice good luck.

#32 ·
FYI - I just contacted my dealer he ran the Vin for my 2013 dl650 and it was in the recall. My stator died in June and i have been riding no more than a half hour away for the summer, because the battery would eventually die. Unfortunately, according to him, currently there is no replacement for the stator available. But, he will update me as soon as he has the guidance and replacement parts from Suzuki. He also said he was contacted by Suzuki about a week ago regarding the updated models to the recall.

Cheers

#42 ·
I just checked on teh web site and it says mine is not.
Wonder if this is a staged rollout as suggested....

Model Year/Model: 2015 DL650AAL5 Results Last Updated: Dec 08, 2016
No open safety recalls found

#33 ·
Ordered a volt meter today and I don't run any heated gear. Only accessory is a GPS., and some extra LEDs on tail light circuit. What should I look for on the volt meter? 1.0 volts higher with motor on than motor off? Thanks guys.

#35 ·
And this?

A 2011 V Strom 650 I'm looking to buy has this sentence in the For Sale ad:

'New Electro Sport stator & low mile Suzuki regulator rectifier recently installed.... 14.3 volts rock solid'

I've not asked seller if this was replacement/repair for burnt/damaged unit(s) or just a precautionary install by seller.

I'm not too clear on what is happening with these units in many V Stroms' but is this step shown above, a proper fix and/or upgrade, for the issue being spoken of here in this and many other threads I've found? Thanks for any clarification.

#36 ·
It's likely a repair for a burned out stator. The good news is you could probably get a new stator under the recall. The bad news is the Electrosport stator is statistically shorter lived than the OEM stator.

#37 ·
I understand that many people were unhappy with older versions of the Electrosport. I haven't seen any commentary about units from the past couple years since Electrosport supposedly changed some manufacturing and business org. I installed their stator and R/R this summer and the mechanic said the build quality was far better than the Suzuki parts.

I will surely repost in the forum as I get miles on and can speak to the reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#39 ·
I tried researching recalls for my 2010"wee" dla any could find anything on the R/R am I missing something or I just appear to be lucky........

Let me know if you find anything

Thanks in adavance
None of us who own anything other than the new 1000 are "lucky", when it comes to the crap electrical system in these bikes. :wink2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.