StromTrooper banner

Should I buy a new DL650?

6K views 51 replies 34 participants last post by  steveinsandiego 
#1 ·
I'm brand new to this site and looking for some advice. I currently own a 2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport 900. It's pretty top heavy, doesn't handle very easily, and takes more work to ride than I want. I prefer to enjoy the experience rather than work quite so hard. You also have to be very diligent in shutting off the gas when you aren't riding; I actually have found that I need to shut it off about 1/2 mile from home to drain the carbs or starting it is harder. Like I said, more work than I want. I really like the Strom650 (and I am looking for something a little smaller and more nimble) but I'm a little worried from what I've read that it is also top heavy and may be hard to handle. A little background: from age 18 to 30 all I had were bikes--no cars--and I rode year-round and in every kind of weather. Including snow, although not on purpose. Gave it up when kids came and got back into it 3 years ago. So I'm experienced but with a 23-year gap. This is my first bike without a kick start. Is the 650 the right bike for me or will it be also a bit of work to ride? Thanks!!

#2 ·
Too many variables are involved. What works for others may not work for you. We can only report our experiences and we are not you. Nobody can definitively answer that for you. You need to take a test ride.

#3 ·
OK thanks. My dilemma is there is only one dealer in the area and they do not allow test drives. So it's a bit of a gamble. Everything I had read sounded great but then I saw info about it being top heavy which scared me a bit since that's my main complaint with the Triumph.

#10 · (Edited)
I've not ridden many bikes. That said, I bought an 09 V-strom 650 and I couldn't be more happy with my decision. It has plenty of power to kill me, but still sips gas (I rode 100+ miles and the gauge said I still had 3/5 of a tank). It's not terribly top-heavy, especially in comparison to the BMW GS 650. It seems nimble enough to go almost anywhere on or off road.

I've put not nearly enough miles on it, but I still think it was a good choice. And this was in comparison to KLR650, BMW 650GS, and Suzuki Versys.

BUT - I would highly recommend you find a dealer that DOES do test rides, like a used one. That or wait and ride at a rally or big event if you can. Even if it requires burning a whole weekend traveling somewhere - drive the bike(s) you might purchase. You won't regret that.

#5 ·
Stroms aren't Top Heavy... they are tall.

My wife has a 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX LOW. (This is a factory low version of the Tiger 800, not a bike that was lowered afterwards.)

Interestingly even though it is quite a bit lower than my 2015 DL1000 (or any of my DL650's previously) it feels much more top heavy than my Strom and as a result is harder to move around the garage, etc.

If you have some height behind you then riding a Strom should be no issue. If you aren't that tall then the height can be an issue for you. Apart from that the DL650 motor is a wonderful motor that is very friendly to relearn on and is a blast to live with every day.

..Tom

#6 ·
Include where you are located and maybe a Stromtrooper in your area will let you try his/her bike.

#9 ·
For some reason that I can't quite put my finger on (perhaps his accent?) I suspect he is from Boston, or at least was at some time in his life.

..Tom

#7 ·
You could test ride a used one in your area. I am short and was worried about the bike being top heavy, not really a problem for me, in fact it is much nicer to ride than the F650gs I was coning from. I am very happy with the slow speed handling.

#12 ·
I changed from Kawasaki 1000 GTR (Concours), that bike is top heavy especially with a full tank.
The DL 650 is a lightweight, to me it feels like a toy at times. Nearly threw it out the garage first time I put it on the centre stand. Have picked it up after a stationary lay down, the side stand is notoriously iffy.
Am only 5' 7", 78 kilos, 64 yrs old with mild remitting MS.

#13 · (Edited)
Takeaways:
- Don't buy any bike before you take a test ride. It has to be a good fit for YOU and in so many ways. Options abound; used, Stromtrooper, Suzuki Demo days, etc. In PDX an older man riding a bike into a dealer has NO problem getting a test ride. I was offered one this weekend (FJ-09) while buying some gloves.
- Top heavy / tall is relative, I dropped mine twice in the first 2 weeks at a standstill. It's not a problem once you realize you have fewer degrees before the point of no return if you're coming from a shorter bike (I came from a cruiser).
- Take the rider training, if you can. I too came from a "break" and took the intermediate to renew my endorsement, 8 years ago. This summer I took a one-day advanced class that included 1/2 day on a go-kart track. Both were fantastic.

For me, this is the best bike currently available (a compromise of all of my values).

#14 ·
Reactions: Rides2Work
#16 ·
Thanks for all these comments; very helpful. This forum is great. A couple of notes: I did take the MSF course, which was a great idea. Since I started riding again in 2013 I've had a Nighthawk 750 and the Thunderbird Sport. I agree that I should definitely test ride the 650, but the dealer has exactly one '16 DL650 left and he's offering it at $1900 off (a great price) so I may not have that much time to grab it.

One other question I should have asked initially: my debate is between the DL650 and a Bonneville T100. I test drove the Bonneville and it does a lot of jerking/lurching at low RPM's/low speed (which I really didn't like). I've discovered that it's a known EFI issue with the Bonneville, and someone on another forum said that's an issue with all EFI bikes. I do a fair amount of low speed/city driving--has anyone noticed that issue with the 650?

#19 ·
I've probably ridden 12 different bikes in the last 4 years (dual sports, cruisers, sport bikes, sport touring, etc...) . For me, the 650 has been the best balance in terms of power, cost, versatility, weather protection and comfort. My only reservation was the distance between the seat and pegs along with the handlebar reach. ( I'm 5'10"). Fortunately those are easy issues to work on. I dropped the pegs, replaced the seat foam and cover and in the spring I'll look at moving the controls back and up. Even without all that, I rode a few days last summer over 1200km!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: V-Tom
#20 ·
My buddy let me spend a day on forest roads with him and others on his 1000. I liked it except the clutch pull.

My 650XT wasn't perfect for me out of the box. You have to adjust stuff to fit you. The longer the day in the saddle the more the bike has to fit you to minimize the rough edges that bug you and cause fatigue / distractions.

Personally, I'm happy with 650cc anything (KLRs & V-Stroms) and selling my 1000 BMW. The Wee easily and quickly achieves 110+ mph and that is way more than you need.

#21 ·
You won't be unhappy with this bike.
Came off a BMW K1200LT, which is an 850lb. top heavy monster.
I'm 5'-10 & a conservative 200lbs. Could I handle it, yes, but what a hassle to do so.
You have to be so careful all the time. Bike must be perfectly vertical all the time.
I'll echo what one fellow member said, it felt like a toy, and compared to the Monster it pretty much is.
I've barely got 1000 miles on a new 2015XA, came with wire spoked wheels, saddle bags, crash bars and a narrow windshield with a flipper on top.
Bought mine in September. You can still find these in some stores and they really need to get rid of them. Nows the perfect time.
Told them what I would pay ($9000 cash) and that's the end of that story. Freedom Powersports in Canton, Ga. had one left in September.
For me it's the perfect bike. Lots of Storage, plenty of power, proven engine and transmission (shifts great, no clunking), great mileage (getting 50-55mpg).
Comfortable seat, nice sitting position.
Does it come with a kick stand, no. That was a surprise to me. But not a deal breaker. $250-$300 plus install. (the BMW Monster had an Electric Centerstand, spoiled me)
Does it have cruise control, no. Again, $200-$300 guessing + install.
Does it have shaft drive, no. To me chains are great. Spray some goop on it after you ride (and hope it soaks in or drips off).
Do you really want to ever consider shaft drive failure and paying the repair on that. I don't.
Chains & sprockers are relatively inexpensive compared to that.
And if you are out in the middle of no where and the shaft drive goes out, you are there for a while.
Compare that to a broken chain. Which I keep in my saddle bag.
So, for less that $10,000 you can go off roading if you want (I have, fun, fun), or hit the cruise control and go slab.
Plenty of storage and comfortable ride. I am happy.
So, my sales pitch aside, go get you one of these. They are fun.

#26 ·
Tall a bigger concern for me than top heavy when I got mine 5 years ago. With a 28" inseam the reach to the ground is the big concern. Lowered like for a season, got use to rest of ergonomics and started making it mine. Bike is now back to stock height with lower cut seat. Many fun miles on slab and gravel and many more to be had.
Buy, try, like and drive on. Buy, try, and dislike(unlikely) someone here will likely take off your hands. Just saying!

#27 ·
When I bought my DL 650 and wanted to see if the bike fit and if I wanted one.
I looked for private sellers that had slightly damaged bikes. Couple were a little over the fence of slightly.
I found owners were a little more apt to allow a test ride on a damaged bike.
Got to test ride a KLR 650, V 650, V 1000. Only problem with my method it took severally months to decide.
I liked the DL 650 and looked for one with less "slightly" on it!

#28 ·
Don't be concerned about being top heavy, it's not a problem for either myself or my wife and we tip the scales at 145 and 125# respectively. We each have 2012 DL650's and load them up for week long adventures and haven't had an issue. I am past the mid century mark myself and not quite as strong as I used to be. A slight lowering did help as we are both under 5' 9". I also commute most of the year and have so since 2006, previously on an old DL650.

#29 · (Edited)
Here most of the dealers let you test ride. Most encourage it. I test rode nine different bikes when I upgraded to the DL1000 recently. I rode the DL1000 three times before I bought it but it was a new previous year model. Our one giant dealer limits you to 7 miles on a brand new bike. Not sure how they came up with that number. Even our lone BMW dealer lets you do test rides because I tried the 1200GS :). Nice but expensive and too costly to maintain.

#30 ·
My last bike was a ~750# Victory. I bought a left over '13 DL650 a couple of years ago. No test ride, just what I had read here and other places. Riding it home, after coming off the Vic, I thought it steered by thought control. Top heavy? Maybe a little , when it is stopped with a full tank of gas. Never think about it when moving. Feet up, slow speed maneuvers = piece of cake. I'm 5'9" 205 lb. 32" inseam and like quiet walks on the beach [Oops, sorry, wrong forum].
Try it you'll like it!
:nerd:

#31 ·
I'm 5'6", 160 lbs, and i have a 2012 dl650. it is the best bike i've ever had for all the reasons above. it really inspires confidence.
also, i live in nyc, and i haven't dropped it yet with all the potholes and traffic. i absolutely love this bike. for commuting it's great.
for long trips it's great. offroad, we haven't bonded well yet. i take back what i wrote earlier. i dropped it in the sand 8 times in one
day! that's just me though. i had never ridden off road before.

#32 ·
The OP comments about low rpm lurching/jerkiness caught my attention. I don't have much experience with EFI on motorcycle, but I am not impressed coming from vintage carburetor bike to a 2012 DL650. I do like my vstrom very much, don't misunderstand. Turn the key and press a button it's running! No choke, no anything. Just a bike that is running and ready to ride. Out on the road it's smooth and handles well. Nice MPG, easy maintenance.

I am just surprised at how bad EFI is on motorcycles. I started riding a few years back with the same kind of bike I road 25 years ago. Recently I jumped into modern world and am not "completely" impressed.
Yes I can feather the clutch and handle the issue, but feel like the technology is still primitive in an odd way.

My only point here is to reinforce the notion of "go see for yourself". The newer DL's may be different with low speed fueling, but so different than carburetors. Many advantages to EFI, but smooth fuel delivery at low speed doesn't seem like one.

You have to go ride one, you have to go ride one, you have to go ride one. No two people will agree on any subjective aspect of these bikes. Yes they are good. But are they right for you?

My 2 cents.

#41 · (Edited)
I came off an '88 1100cc Honda with 87K miles and this is my experience as well. I also have a funky spot for the first few miles around 3-4k rpms. Would I get this bike again? YES, YES, YES! But it doesn't fuel as well as the VT1100C did, which also started with one tap of the start button and could be ridden off cold.
Cheers,

Updated after reading the posts following the quote. Could it be the fueling degradation is due to added emission requirement from 1988 to 2012? Seems likely.

#33 ·
I'm 6'2" and 220+ and I had to increase seat height to uncramp my legs / knees on the '15 650XT. Others have added peg lowering kits but I wanted ground clearance, so I bought a seat rebuild kit with thicker seat foam to go up. Shaved the step (driver to rider sections) back a little so I could slide back and then added bar 1" risers to the handlebars (didn't need to lengthen cables).

More comfort = longer "good" days

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.