StromTrooper banner

My first (and hopefully last) idiot move riding next to cager

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  bobbyvstrom 
#1 ·
I am driving along a beautiful, windy road with very little traffic. Following the speed limits (mostly) as i usually do. A guy in an Audi A6 comes next to me and then passes me and definitely puts the petal to the metal. Sort of egging me on. I am having so much fun on this road in the good weather, that my adrenaline kicks in and i start driving faster than i should to try and 'keep up'. Basically it was an ego thing. I shouldn't have done it. Bike vs car?! Jeesh. Just felt real stupid after. Learned a lesson to just drive my way and let other people do what they do.

Drive safe and be smart!

#4 ·
Lots of riders think that they can keep up with a well driven sports car. Nope, it's a physics thing.
Good point (although an A6 isn't a sports car.)

..Tom

#3 ·
So nothing happened other than you rode faster than you should? No drama? No almost got caught speeding? Nothing?

..Tom

#5 ·
I am driving along a beautiful, windy road with very little traffic. Following the speed limits (mostly) as i usually do. A guy in an Audi A6 comes next to me and then passes me and definitely puts the petal to the metal.
Should have just said to yourself "settle petal". :wink2:

Coops.

#6 ·
Had something similar happen a couple months back on the way to work. Slowing down at traffic light an idiot in Lexus RC F comes, cuts me off and slams on brakes. OK typical DC no problem. Then light turns green everyone moves he sits there for 3 seconds.

I give him time but since he keeps sitting I come around him. He gets pissed, changes lane and passes Audi S6 riding next to me on the right shoulder. Audi and I look at each other and just shake heads.

On next light I pull next to him and he is revving up. Okay let's see what you got. Light turns green, he misses by at least 1.5sec. I pull (DL650) hard to about 55mph and then shut off. 3sec later he comes past with all 4 tires squealing and disappears doing at least 80-90.

Ok done we won't see him again I think, right? Wrong 3mi down the road he is sitting on the shoulder with cop behind. Oh well, happens

Visited provinces:

Visited states:

#8 ·
I rode up to a light and had a Harley custom and a pretty nice Ultraglide with a couple riding come up in the next lane and the guy on the glide started revving his up. The guy on the chopper grinned and shook his head, so I goosed it when the light changed and took off. The guy on the chopper left at his normal pace and the guy on the Glide hit it hard. I cut the gas at 5MPH over and the couple finally passed me as I cut into the turning lane to get on the interstate.

The last thing I saw as I got on the gas to get on the highway was the lady hauling off and letting her man have it it the back of the grape, ka-pow! The guy on the chopper and I both weaved a bit because we were laughing so hard.

Childish of me to goose it, but I just couldn't help it, and I really enjoyed the result.

Reactions: Big B
#9 · (Edited)
Last year as I was sitting at set of intersection lights. At green light, I left as I normally do, first in line and fast (after making sure no one comes from left - right). I usually go to speed limit and stay there. I don't normally go over the speed limit.

At the next set of lights this this idiot stops near me and starts revving the engine hard. The passenger was a young lady. I look at them, they look at me.

I close my visor and look forward and down the road. I see the mobile speed camera on the side of the road, maybe 300 meters ahead (0.2 miles) and I start laughing.

Head forward, red... red... red... green lights and it's a race!

I accelerate to about 50 kmh (30 mph) and stop, I pass the camera at about that speed they must have crashed the speed camera at at least 100 kmh (60 mph). Speed limit 60kmh (37 mph).

They won ! :)

So proud :))

#10 ·
Sounds admirable under most circumstances. But, once in a while, you primal urges must be addressed. At 60 y/o, I still do like to go fast once in a while. Safely of course. I reserve my speeding to familiar safe roads, with no L/E around.

Nowadays, with all the nuts on the road, I choose not to get anyone pissed off at me. You never know who is carrying a weapon. Ride at your own comfort level, in spite of the idiots on the road. :grin2:

#11 ·
I have mellowed considerably and not much gets me going. The story I have was not on my bike but the message is the same.
I had to get a visiting friend of my son's to the airport to go home. My wife told me what time he needed to be there but had gotten the time wrong. As we are getting ready to go I looked at his flight information and I had just over 30 minutes to get this kid on his plane! It is about a 45 minute drive to the airport so I was speeding but not by a huge amount. I was hoping someone was willing to risk it and next thing you know, I get passed. I take it up to 95mph and this other car is still pulling away! Just as we are getting near the exit for the airport, I come over a hill and there she is on the side of the road with the red and blues behind her. I slow it down and silently thank her for clearing the way.
I am not a runner but with a little luck we made it to the gate with only one other person left to board the plane.
I learned this trick from a Patrol Officer in a Driving class that I was legally bound to attend when I was younger. Kind of funny in the late 80's when you got a ticket and had to go to classes and they taught you how to avoid getting caught the next time.

#15 ·
I use to always say there are only rabbits and wolfs on the road. A bike rider has chosen to be the rabbit. A friend of mine in the USMC a true hero, had a silver star and 2-3 purple hearts was riding and was cut off by a pickup. He rode up next to the guy with his 45 in his hand in clear sight. The guy ran him off the road into a 20-30 foot deep ditch.(no more bike) He taught me to ride safe and defensive. The guy would run into fire with only a m-14 but he knew better than to act aggressive on a bike. PS: he never rode without someone knowing where he was going and when he would be back.

#16 ·
I was down in the Califoria wine country, coming home from a motorcycle race, and ended up on a windy nice country road with a hot rod VW bug. I had an FJ 1200. OK, this was a couple decades ago. Anyhow, he didn't want to be passed, and the road was twisty enough that I couldn't get by safely in the straights. Here's the point: He could kill me in the corners. Moral to the story is that if you are going to race a car, do it in a straight line. A Wee can take many cars. A Vee can take the vast majority of street legal cars. Not so much in the corners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.