Heated grips & heated vest too? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-26-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Heated grips & heated vest too?

I've read a lot of the postings about the available electrical power left for heated gear but I still maybe have a different experience, not sure.

I have a 2013 Adventure with GPS, heated grips and I wear a heated vest this time of year. I seems like after riding a while my left grip (Bike Master) has a lot less heat in it than the right. After more time, with the heated vest on I feel very little heat in either one. I don't know if my grips are bad (they are a year old), or there is not enough battery left for everything. Also, the heated (Harley) vest seems not as warm either after a while. I did replace the rear light with the Ravetech LED light, thought that would help but didn't.

All of these are hooked directly to the battery - I have a Denali fuse block on order though.

My options seem to be:
- Use either grips or vest but not both
- Use both and ride just a little ways in comfort
- Get new Oxford grips?
- Make one headlight not work
- Change headlight bulbs
- Not sure what else...

Thanks for your suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-26-2016, 04:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

you should be able to run a heated vest and grips together, but not too much more than that. You definitely should get one of those cheap voltmeters, though. You don't want to kill your battery or get stuck somewhere. I've got the ability to switch off one headlight, via the Eastern Beaver headlight relay with cutoff switch. That allows me to run grips, jacket, pants, and gps. I also replaced parking and license plate bulbs with leds. I never run the gear on high. Never really need to, as medium seems plenty.

2014 DL650 (sold)
2014 DL1000
post #3 of 23 Old 02-26-2016, 05:01 PM
Moderator++

Garage
A properly working charging system should easily handle grips and vest. You might want to mount a voltmeter or charging monitor to make sure the bike's charging system is working properly. Bikemaster heated grips are often complained about here. One being hotter than the other is a definite indication they aren't working properly.
Rides2Work likes this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014+ DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012+ DL650s
See http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html

post #4 of 23 Old 02-26-2016, 10:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I use heated grips (Oxford) and heated vest (venture heat) together regularly. Have been monitoring with a voltmeter. Stock lights / etc. Never had any problems.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-27-2016, 12:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

I used to use stock lights, auxiliary LED lights, GPS, heated Oxford grips, heated gloves and heated jacket liner (without controller) on previously owned Wee and never had any problems.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-27-2016, 12:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

The symptoms you report are not consistent with your heated gear and grips consuming more power than the bike can deliver. If that was happening, you would be suffering from various depleted battery symptoms.

The drop in heating you report indicates a failure in either the controller for the heating or in the heated objects. It is common for bad connections to carry current for awhile, then, because a bad connection gets hot and parts of it expand differently, cease to carry much current. Bad connections can cycle back and forth between conducting and blocking for this reason, leading to reduced average current without seeming to completely fail. That is more consistent with your described behavior than any kind of problem in the power generation (or storage) system.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-29-2016, 11:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have been running the stock heated grips and a Gerbings liner with the right grip not heating as much as the left. Seems to be common on most heated grip systems. Length of the leads and resistance through plug connections make the heat differential obvious except in the very high wattage systems. Although my BMW has had no issues in 75k mi. Volt meter in Adventure Tech dash shows me all is well with both on high. Anything else and it drops below 12vdc at idle, and the LEDs on grip controller starts to blink which signals a built in shut down feature due to low voltage and to save the battery. I run additional LED spot lamps only when the heated options are turned off. We know the stators on the 650 can be an issue so if can, don't over load it. In fact you can watch out put drop by about .5vdc when the bike gets warmer.
post #8 of 23 Old 03-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

I run Oxford heated Grips, Gerbings lined Jacket and heated Gloves. I find the heated grips fine for fall, but for winter I use the heated gloves. Anyway, my Oxford controller became defective after about 2 seasons. Replaced the controller and the heat was fine again for the grips.
post #9 of 23 Old 03-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just a thought.Are you running the stock, Steel bars, or aluminum ones?
with" foil type" grip heaters you can have uneven heat secondary to the the heatsink ability of the metal. Most people have to add tape or heat shrink to the left grip to get even heating. The right grip does not suffer secondary to the throttle tubes insulating properties. Don't know if thats the problem but has come up in the past. Just my 2c!
post #10 of 23 Old 03-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Never mind. I looked up those grips and they are not the "Foil Type". Anyways
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode