OEM Hand guards has anyone used them. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default OEM Hand guards has anyone used them.

I have just done a two up ride from Brisbane to Cairns just under 2,000k on a KLR650. I think I will be doing most of my 2 up ridding on my DL650. One day of the ride was pouring with rain what I did like on the KLR650 was the hand guards esp in the rain. So has anyone used the OEM ones and what do they think? Or any recommendations?
Happy New Year
Nick
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 PM
Wess23

They are fine to protect your hands from the wind/rain. They won't save your levers if you dump the bike however.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Default Thanks

I just wanted the for weather protection. I have seen a person who broke there forearms when they slipped through there Bark Busters.
Thanks for the advice
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM
$tromtrooper

Yes, they are structurally fragile, but will help with wind and rain. You can cut the wind and rain altogether if you place hippo-hands over the guards.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default hg

I have ones off a bmw 1150 gs. they mount much better and fit perfect.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The oem guards do a good job of weather protection

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]Scoot - #27, Flat Black Club[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 01-02-2013, 10:56 PM
$tromtrooper

The first time I test rode a Wee I found my hands starting to sweat and wondered why, as they hadn't been sweating on the ride to the dealership on my own bike. Of course, it turned out that it was the OEM handguards that had been on the Wee that was blocking the air and preventing my hands from cooling down.

At that point I decided that whatever Vstrom I ended up with was going to get handguards as I suffer greatly from cold hands in Canberra's winter. Unfortunately they didn't really help much when the temperature approached freezing, so I decided to throw some Hippo Hands over the top of the guards. Surprisingly this also did not make much of a difference. I ended up spending $150 on the most heavily insulated MC gloves I could find, which helped a bit.

This coming winter I will be using OEM hand guards, covered with Hippo Hands, with Oxford Hot Grips. If that doesn't work then I have no option but to pay the big dollars for electrically heated gloves.

So yes, OEM handguards are effective, but only up to a point.

If something I have posted offends you, it is highly likely I was drunk when posting it. Sorry.

Buffeting, chuddering and wheezing my way across Canberra.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Dog View Post
This coming winter I will be using OEM hand guards, covered with Hippo Hands, with Oxford Hot Grips. If that doesn't work then I have no option but to pay the big dollars for electrically heated gloves.
That exact combination has served me well while living near Seattle where it doesn't get that cold. However, now that I have just moved near Denver, I think I am going to have to pony up for the heated gloves. The high will be over 40F this weekend, so I think I will plan for my first Colorado winter ride.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

I ride with a combination of OEM hand guards lighter winter gloves and Oxford heated grips. Good down to freezing temp. If it is really cold and wet, I layer a rain glove shell over top of the winter glove. It should be mentioned that the OEM hand guards do not keep your hands dry in heavy rain, but they do cut the wind.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Yes, they are structurally fragile
But can be fairly easily repaired with ABS cement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement