Shipping a bike? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Shipping a bike?

My wife and I have started the initial planning for a two week tour. Because of the fact we only get two weeks off we are planning on shipping the Wee and the FZ to Vegas and riding back to south Georgia via every cool road we can find. My question is has anyone had any experience shipping bikes like this? I know I should ride out there and back but that will have to wait until we get more time off. Any advice will be well appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

No experience shipping bikes but looked into vehicle shipping when I was stationed in Hawaii a few years back. Some shippers require that you remove all the liquids prior to shipping (this may be just over sea shipment)...

They ship motorcycles to dealers all the time don't they? That is where I would ask, see about shipping dealer to dealer. Might also be an easy fix for the fluid thing (if they have to be removed) to be at a dealership to fill them back up for the trip.

Just throwing thoughts out there.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

May not be the cheapest (truck shipping is probably cheaper), but very convenient if you ship from one of their terminals to another. They have crates/pallets that you can rent. Probably around $1000 Atlanta - Las Vegas.

forwardair.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Searched "motorcycle rail ship" and came up with this link amongst others. I thought Amtrak would be able to do it, but apparently it's just on the east coast.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think this has been beat to death on the BMWMOA site, those folks ship stuff all the time. There are rail trips too. You may give them a search. Seems some trucking companies specialize in this practice.
Have you Googled motorcyle shipping? 202,000,000 in .18 sec!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:12 PM
$tromtrooper

Years ago (before I retired) I had the same problem. Several companies specialized in this. I used Allied I believe. I left my bike at the local bike shop and the shipping company would load it onto a pallet and truck it to my chosen destination. I had made similar arrangements with another bike shop close to my destination. Shipping it back home was just the reverse. No complaints. Should be some ads in bike mags, AMA or on line.

I live a couple hundred miles from Vegas, and it being the closest convenient airport have traveled there occasionally. I found the traffic in Vegas insane.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Just looked in the latest issue of "America Motorcyclist" (the AMA magazine) and found ads for these:

Federal Motorcycle Shipping - Motorcycle Shipping and Transport

Motorcycle Shipping, Motorcycle Transport, Motorcycle Transportation, Motorcycle Shippers

If you need to crate the bike, check with your local shop and see if you can get one from them. Or find out who does the setup for them and go there. After a new bike is out of the crate, the crate goes into the dumpster and they pay to have it hauled away.

Glenn
Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Those are two good links

I just used Federal to move three bikes cross country. $500 each, on pallets. Yes, they would like most of your fuel drained, just go to your auto parts store and buy one of those cheap gas siphons, get what you can and put it in your cage. Easy. Are you an AMA member? They give a discount if so.

Friends also just used JC Motors, and they loved them too. Not sure what they paid.

I also used EagleOneExpress, and he was good, but he is a one man band and so it's a matter of timing. If he's in your area and going where you need it can be great, if not, maybe not. He was reasonable ($600 coast to coast) and the bike was perfect when it arrived.

WHATEVER YOU DO don't use HaulBikes, aka DailyDirect, they are lying conniving scum. Told me all kinds of contradictory stories about where our bikes were on the way to MotoGP, finally delivered them two days late (having had them for 4 or so weeks by then). They suck.

HTH,

N.

R1200GS, DL1K3, CBX, DRZ
I have a motorcycle problem.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I appreciate all of the help. We have never shipped anything like this before and your advice has been great. When we head out on the trip we will post it here.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 PM
$tromtrooper

I am trying to figure out how to get my wee from Bozeman, Montana to Fairbanks, Alaska. I just got a quote from a shipping company for $2295. Ouch! If I rode it to Seattle and picked it up in Anchorage, it is still ~$1700. Anyone want to ride my wee from Montana to Fairbanks for me this summer? I may not have the time to make the ride myself. I may have to sell the bike and buy a new in Alaska. That sucks though, because I am kind of attached to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement