Another engine guard question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Default Another engine guard question

Recently picked up a 2006 650 V-Strom with only 2,000 miles on it and am in the process of fitting it out.

So here goes. I know that this topic has been beat to death, but I am looking to put crash bars and skid plate on her, and after reading all the posts on this topic, I am more confused than ever. So I am looking for some help on deciding on what to purchase.

I will list my choices along with the proís and conís of each brand that I came up with.

Givi: High coverage on the tank, bars are far away from the tank to allow for bending before coming in contact with tank, not braced very well and may be weakest of the lot, cross bar in front of cylinder far away, lots of skid plates fit them, inexpensive.

Hepco- Becker: Large tubes, solid construction, seems to protect the tank well with a moderately tall bars. Yannis who makes these skid plates,
Skid Plate does not like how close the cross bar is to the cylinder, his concern is in the event of a crash they could do damage to the engine, few skid plates match up. Plan on getting his skid plate.

SW-Motech: Not alot of protection due to hugging the engine and not very tall, front cross bar close to cylinder, not alot of choices for skid plates.

Pat Walsh: They are not making or selling them anymore

Happy Trails: They have not been mentioned by anyone, so here is a link to their site,
Happy Trails Nerf Bars Suzuki V-Strom 650 - Adventure-Proven Motorcycle Gear and Aluminum Panniers They are very tall and looks like they would provide alot of protection, ugly and only 25.5 mm tubes, crossbar far away from front cylinder and gas tank, alot of skid plates match up.

Altrider: Looks strong and well braced, cross bar close to cylinder, not alot of tank protection, expensive, limited skid plate choices.

So thats it, look forward to your thoughts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

I skipped the bars and went with SV Racing Parts frame sliders. Don't know if they would be satisfactory for off road, but dropped mine in a parking lot and not a scratch. Grey Wolf had both on his and dropped it. The sliders caught the bike and the crash bars did nothing. Just a thought.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Personaly I like the look of the Crash Bars. as to which ones to go with I guess it depends on the Stregnth you're looking for in combination with how well it suits up to whichever Skid-plate you may choose. In any event, if you end up needing the bars to do their job protecting the bike then I guess it depends on the conditions/extent of the accident. All that said, the Givi's are the most affordable and compatable w/ what you've listed. Can call them disposable's. Honestly speaking, I just ordered a set of the Givi ones last night because of reasons already mentioned and because my wife insisted on paying for them. Thought I ought be nice and not take her to the Altrider web page

Next time I'll put some effort into my username. This one sounds like a toilet Bowl cleaner or Treadmill, or..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the motech bars, plate, & center stand and I like 'em. Nice quality, easily installed.ImageUploadedByMO Free1355014178.490854.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-09-2012, 12:29 PM
$tromtrooper

I have the SW-Motech crash bars and skid plate. I like them both. I had no installation issues and no other issues with either. I think the new version of the crash bars come up as high as the others.

2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650K
1986 Honda Shadow VT700C
1974 Suzuki TM-250
1966 Triumph Bonneville T-120R
1965 Suzuki 80
Old 12-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

I like my Hepco Bakker cattleguards and aluminum skidplate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.