Mystery draining battery - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default Mystery draining battery

So my recently acquired 2009 Wee Strom has started a strange unsettling trend. I have had no problems with it, and I have been commuting 4 days a week on it, 26 miles each direction. Then, I went almost two weeks without riding (busted a turn signal, was waiting on parts). I had the ignition in the off position, not locked or in park. However, when I went to test the new turn signal, the battery was completely dead. I hooked it up to the battery tender, and got it charged up strong over the course of two days or so. I rode it to work and back once, no problems. I then went about four days without riding, and when I went to get on the bike this morning, it had enough juice to almost crank, but wouldn't turn over.

It seems like something is slowly draining the battery, but I can't imagine what. I don't have any accessories hooked up to drain it. I do have a tank bag with a BMW outlet and cig outlet, but nothing is connected.

Has anyone seen this, or ran across something that would drain like this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 PM
$tromtrooper

Original battery? If so I'd get it checked or replaced. Internal problems I would think. Check out the new lithium motorcycle batteries. Better than a lead acid, 1/5th the weight, and won't self drain. They should last longer than the bike as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

DL650A L1 "Sandy"
Solobox Paniers
17/46 520 size chain, Front and rear Sprockets
Rigid Industries 6" E-series light bar
3m Military Green Wrap on order
Oil Filter Adapter HERE'S why
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Only thing that should be a drain is the clock. Mine goes weeks and still starts. You can undo the Battery and put a meter in line and see what the draw is. Or, buy a new battery. It's not unusual for batteries to just go toes up. How is the battery now?
2009, 5 year old battery?

Last edited by notacop; 11-28-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I should have specified, the battery is an AGM and is not very old, I want to say less than a year old.

I also forgot to mention that there is an aftermarket horn on a relay, but I can't see that being the issue either, as it doesn't work with the ignition off.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 PM
$tromtrooper

Since these stock lead-acid battery is NOT a deep cycle battery, once it gets fully discharged, it usually will go dead quickly and often won't have correct voltage to operate all the systems correctly and you'll experience starting issues and possibly other electrical issues. The advice about the lithium replacement is good advice as they don't have issues with being discharged and sustaining damage...plus the weight savings and freedom from that crappy corrosion is worth the price to me....but not for everyone else.
'94 Yamaha 125 scooter
'05 Vespa E4 scooter
'68 Vespa VBB scooter (restored)
'06 Wee
'03 Honda S2000 roadster
Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 PM
$tromtrooper

Also consider adding remote battery terminals. Getting or giving a jump start, or just hooking to a maintenance charger is SO much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

DL650A L1 "Sandy"
Solobox Paniers
17/46 520 size chain, Front and rear Sprockets
Rigid Industries 6" E-series light bar
3m Military Green Wrap on order
Oil Filter Adapter HERE'S why
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 PM
$tromtrooper

I once bought a cheaper (Chinese) battery for my DR 650 at the auto store. It lasted about 4 months before I had to replaced it.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hook am amp meter up to your battery, then start pulling fuses until you isolate the circuit pulling the most amps. Then your search begins.
2005 DRZ400
2005 KDX220R
2007 DLK
2009 KLR650
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I'd guess a bad battery. Age doesn't really matter. A battery can go bad in a hurry if it's allowed to sit in a discharge state for too long. It it won't hold charge, it's on its way out.

If the battery was good then the way to diagnose this would be to disconnect everything from the battery +ve terminal (with the ignition switch OFF), then connect the +ve lead of a multimeter (set to measure current) to the battery +ve terminal, the -ve lead of the mutimeter to the set of wires that used to connect to the +ve battery terminal and see what sort of reading you get.

The clock draws a few milliamps as I recall. On my bike the current draw is somewhat higher, around 10mA because I have an alarm system fitted that's always on.

If you see more than a few mA of current draw with everything off, then you start pulling fuses or disconnecting accessories until the current draw drops to a few mA. Then you've found your problem.

A good fully charged battery may have something like 10 Ahr capacity. At 10mA (1/100A) it would go dead in around 1000 hrs = 42 days.
2011 Suzuki DL650A
Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeStrommie View Post
I should have specified, the battery is an AGM and is not very old, I want to say less than a year old.
I had similar problems with an Odessy AGM battery on a different vehicle that was also fairly new (although they are very popular and get great reviews). Even though the voltage was up, it had minimal crank power and would self discharge quickly. Luckily I was able to get it replaced under warrenty and no problems since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement