StromTrooper banner

Season gone bad, to my Trooper friends.

11K views 81 replies 52 participants last post by  aldntn 
#1 ·
I was out o BRP and had a stent go bad in my leg while on a trip by myself. I was out on the BRP for my last long trip of the season. I had grand day riding the BRP. The stent felt like I was shot with a gun in my leg when it blew. Off to the emergency room to a Hospital in VA. And the back to a hospital in NY. The end result was that I lost my leg below my knee. A season ender for certain. I am looking ahead to a long repair & adapting to a replacement left leg. Any one on the list been threw anything like this?

#2 ·
Oh my gosh............I hope you heal quickly and adapt easily. A feller here at work had his leg removed right below the knee. He was back at work after 1.5 months.........hobbling yes, but happy to be here. Some will think of it as a life-changer.........it depends on the person and their willingness to adapt to the situation. Easy for me to say, I'm only sitting behind a keyboard spouting off. But I wish you the very best medical attention and a speedy recovery. :hurray:

#6 ·
I was feeling sorry for myself due to some tooth trouble. There's nothing like a little perspective. I wish you an easy and speedy transition to a successful new you.

#7 ·
Damn!
That is no good at all...
Doesn't sound like you're ready to throw in the towel.
There are many that live without limbs and some you'd never even notice.

I know a 'Harley guy' that was in a m'cycle accident and lost his left from the knee down, eventually. He suffered with a mangled foot for a long time first.
He says that he was WAY better off after they removed the lower leg.

Your biggest issue may be shifting. I'm not sure how he accomplishes it. I'll ask the next time that I see him.

It might be time for an electric shifter...

#8 ·
The end result was that I lost my leg below my knee. A season ender for certain. I am looking ahead to a long repair & adapting to a replacement left leg. Any one on the list been threw anything like this?
Not personally, but a close friend did. Tried to save the leg. That ended up being the worst thing that happened! Removed below the knee now. Keep your chin up. There will be some frustrations and struggles but you WILL make progress. Just give it a few weeks to get the tissue healed up and then start on the prosthetics. You will be able to get around very well in time.

As for the bike, I think that is a good goal to be working toward! Let us know what challenges you are facing or going to face. If I can make a part for you that helps with shifting or braking let me know.

Your good attitude will heal you faster than medicine from here on out!

#9 ·
Hey ST,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
It sounds like you have the right attitude to keep moving forward.
Please stay in touch.

Best of Luck,

Norm

#10 ·
I belie will ride again. st can't give riding up just yetDow the road a piece. I will be looking into electric button shifting. I have been riding for 42 years & just dont see giving up riding just yet. I will be selling my Gold Wing. That bike is just to big for what I want to do in my riding future. I put up 19,000 miles this season. I think the riding seasons will be much shorter in my future.

#44 ·
My close friend lost his left leg below the knee over a year ago. Has a prosthesis now. Got rid of his heavy touring bike, bought the lowest Harley so he could swing his prosthesis over the seat . . . may be a FatBoy but not sure as I'm not a Harley expert.

They have an entire program for amputees. They sent his bike out to have a pushbutton kick stand installed, which can put the stand up and down with a cable controlled on the handlebar. Its a beautiful thing to watch it work. They also modified his shifter a bit, and he rides all the time, as much or more than before his operation, scraping his footboards every day.

I'm still not a big Harley fan, but my friend says no other company works with disabled riders like they do. Not sure what other companies offer, but you will ride for sure if you want to.

Just heal well first, and good luck.

Craig

#11 ·
I'm sorry to hear about this but admire your spirit. You aren't giving up riding but instead figuring out ways to keep riding. Seriously: good stuff!

..Tom

#12 ·
best to your progress! you sound like you have great perspective. And start looking at the Aprilia Mana. sweet machine!

#14 ·
Wow, this makes my recent bout of adult shingles seem like a mild rash. I give you credit for the great outlook and attitude. Keep things positive and best of wishes.

#15 ·
I have never heard of this happening before- I'm sorry that is just crazy. I agree with others in that your attitude seems right and in good time you'll heal up just fine. I used to have a friend that made prosthetics for a living and he always said it was amazing how well patients would adapt to their new parts- of course he attributed that to his amazing ability to fit one like no other doc could :)

#17 ·
Shocking to read. Take good care of yourself and come back full force in the spring.
How long do they think to get you fitted for a prosthetic?.
One of my friends lost part of her leg about the same place as you and was back on figure skates later the same year.
Keep thinking those positive thoughts

#22 ·
Get well soon!
I expect to see you in the next NE Stromtrooper Rally.
Think positive and be strong and you'll be there

As for riding, I'm sure that electric shifting can be done on a Wee using a solonoid that pulls-pushes the gear lever, by electronic control from handle bars, e.g. right or left hand thumb, while left hand operates clutch as usual

#23 ·
Zow, I hope you adapt well and keep on motorcycling.
I've got a stent in the heart and my daughter has a few in her brain, crappy veins!
If I were to get a prosthetic, I think I'd go for a Peg like Ahab for around the the rally sites.
I had paraplegic friends that continued riding but with sidecars. I do know of one fellow that still rides and has a prosthetic leg. He still rides a solo bike.

#25 ·
Sorry life pitched you a curve ball. Good luck sir.

BTW Motorcycle Consumer News just did a write up on Hondas new NC700 do it all bike. Sounds like a nice alternative to the wee and close to the same in weight and power. It is available with a fully automatic transmission which includes a paddle shifter. Its an auto with gears also...no wimpy belt system. Maybe one of those parked by your bedside will cheer you up.

They went all gaa gaa over it.

#26 ·
Very sorry to hear about this. I hope it heals well and the prosthetic works well. Maybe an auto shift.

I know a guy with a prosthetic leg who still rides, has hand controls, and was back to work in 10 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.