Season gone bad, to my Trooper friends. - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokermtb View Post
Wow - I can't believe what happened to you (and you prolly can't either!)....

Just from reading your posts, I can't imagine you'll be off the bike for good, in fact, you'll probably be more motivated than ever to get right back in the fray. As a previous poster mentioned - that new Honda 700 autoshifter adventure bike, might just be the ticket (and, it's less spendy than the Strom)...

Heal well, and take your time, don't rush it.
A month ago I test rode (while in a business trip to Israel) the Honda Integra scooter/motorcycle hybrid for about 400km over 2 days.
Really great concept, very powerful, and combines a nice relaxed sit of a scooter with everything else of a motorcycle (power, suspension, wheels) but with a great DTC that allows doing either automatic, automatic sport, of fully manual (using handle bar buttons). The last one is a lot of fun. Shifting is way faster than a Wee, and in a very short time I found myself cruising at 150 Km/H...

Stromtrooper Wiki - http://stromtrooper.wikispaces.com/

Last edited by BigMan73; 11-27-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:55 PM
$tromtrooper

I'm just getting over my friend losing his two big toes to diabetes, but this is really awful news. I might be thinking Can-Am or a trike if I were you. All depends on how sturdy the prosthetic turns out to be. Good Luck!

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM
$tromtrooper

Default this guy lost both legs

Douglas Bader, British Ace of World War Two
Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm very sorry to hear this news. I wish you the best during recovery.

I myself am missing all the toes on one foot (lawnmower accident when I was age 3), except a stub of a big toe that's helped me keep my balance for roughly 50 years. I'm missing a slice down the side of that foot too.

After all these years I pay it no attention at all - even now when I wash that foot. It just seems like it was supposed to be that way..... I walk without a limp. People won't believe me when I tell them my situation - I have to take my shoe off to prove it. I've seen some really surprised looks !

I have a cousin who lost a lower leg to a car accident - also in her childhood (I guess we're a careless bunch). She gets around just fine with a prosthetic leg.

I hope these comments encourage you somehow.

I have enough of a foot left to apply rear brake (my right foot was injured). I have nothing to offer regarding shifting gears on a bike using a prosthetic limb.

Again, all the best.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Geezer on a Wee

Wow, it is hard to hear this. Hang in there and don't let it all get you down. If you want to continue riding, then you will. I have had three heart attacks, open heart surgery and have Rheumatoid Arthritis and still ride. You can get back on too.

I had a bad motorcycle accident back in '72 and one of the guys in the hospital with me had lost both of his legs below the knee from a drunk driver pinning him against another car. He had to go to riding a trike after that accident but he continued riding. A local brace maker here in my home town lost his left leg below the knee and continues to ride, he uses an electric shifter. It is all up to you. You have a lot of choices now, you can go to a bike with an electric shift like you talked about in your message, you can go to a bike with an automatic or you can go to a trike or a sidecar rig. Lots of choices.
1980 Honda Express (my toy!)
Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think Burghman may be in my future. I go back into the hospital today for the final stump mods. I will get back to you in a month.
Bill Kane
2011 White Wee under construction
05 Wee @ 50 K ( Gone @ 56 K Loved that bike)
02 1800 Wing @ 83K
Home just outside of NYC & THE YANKEES RULE
Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 PM
$tromtrooper

Just this past week I was reading in one of my therapy journals about failure rates is some of the older stents. Sorry yours went bad on ya.

The quality of prosthetics today is astounding. You'll be entering ass-kicking contests in no time.

Target fixator extraordinaire.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. ― George Carlin

Make the world safe for stupid people and you will end up with a world full of stupid people.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

For inspiration if needed check out this guy's website
DaveBarr.com
He is missing both legs.
Best of luck to you on this.
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Sorry to hear about your leg...that really sucks. I wish you all the best in a speedy recovery and hope you dont let this get you too down. I do think that the suggestion of the honda 700 is a great idea. Local shop has one in the showroom and its a nice bike. I would give it a look when you feel up to it
Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

very sorry to hear about your situation... God's speed in your healing and recovery!!
white wee #4 (ארבע)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement