StromTrooper banner

Season gone bad, to my Trooper friends.

11K views 81 replies 52 participants last post by  aldntn 
#1 ·
I was out o BRP and had a stent go bad in my leg while on a trip by myself. I was out on the BRP for my last long trip of the season. I had grand day riding the BRP. The stent felt like I was shot with a gun in my leg when it blew. Off to the emergency room to a Hospital in VA. And the back to a hospital in NY. The end result was that I lost my leg below my knee. A season ender for certain. I am looking ahead to a long repair & adapting to a replacement left leg. Any one on the list been threw anything like this?

#28 ·
Wow - I can't believe what happened to you (and you prolly can't either!)....

Just from reading your posts, I can't imagine you'll be off the bike for good, in fact, you'll probably be more motivated than ever to get right back in the fray. As a previous poster mentioned - that new Honda 700 autoshifter adventure bike, might just be the ticket (and, it's less spendy than the Strom)...

Heal well, and take your time, don't rush it.

#31 · (Edited)
A month ago I test rode (while in a business trip to Israel) the Honda Integra scooter/motorcycle hybrid for about 400km over 2 days.
Really great concept, very powerful, and combines a nice relaxed sit of a scooter with everything else of a motorcycle (power, suspension, wheels) but with a great DTC that allows doing either automatic, automatic sport, of fully manual (using handle bar buttons). The last one is a lot of fun. Shifting is way faster than a Wee, and in a very short time I found myself cruising at 150 Km/H...

#29 ·
My pal "Yak" has a steel rod instead of bone for a left leg. No knee joint at all, but he still rides. He put a Pingle shifter on his HD so he didn't have to shift with his foot. He's a lousy rider, but at least he's still out there!

Good luck and a speed-e recovery!

#30 ·
So sorry to hear about your situation! Modern prosthetics have come a long way, I have no doubt you'll be riding again. You might need to go with the NC700x or Aprilia Mana.

#34 ·
I'm very sorry to hear this news. I wish you the best during recovery.

I myself am missing all the toes on one foot (lawnmower accident when I was age 3), except a stub of a big toe that's helped me keep my balance for roughly 50 years. I'm missing a slice down the side of that foot too.

After all these years I pay it no attention at all - even now when I wash that foot. It just seems like it was supposed to be that way..... I walk without a limp. People won't believe me when I tell them my situation - I have to take my shoe off to prove it. I've seen some really surprised looks !

I have a cousin who lost a lower leg to a car accident - also in her childhood (I guess we're a careless bunch). She gets around just fine with a prosthetic leg.

I hope these comments encourage you somehow.

I have enough of a foot left to apply rear brake (my right foot was injured). I have nothing to offer regarding shifting gears on a bike using a prosthetic limb.

Again, all the best.

#35 ·
Wow, it is hard to hear this. Hang in there and don't let it all get you down. If you want to continue riding, then you will. I have had three heart attacks, open heart surgery and have Rheumatoid Arthritis and still ride. You can get back on too.

I had a bad motorcycle accident back in '72 and one of the guys in the hospital with me had lost both of his legs below the knee from a drunk driver pinning him against another car. He had to go to riding a trike after that accident but he continued riding. A local brace maker here in my home town lost his left leg below the knee and continues to ride, he uses an electric shifter. It is all up to you. You have a lot of choices now, you can go to a bike with an electric shift like you talked about in your message, you can go to a bike with an automatic or you can go to a trike or a sidecar rig. Lots of choices.

#36 ·
I think Burghman may be in my future. I go back into the hospital today for the final stump mods. I will get back to you in a month.
Bill Kane

#46 ·
My wife loves her Burgmann. It's plenty fast and she enjoys the simplicity while making me work to catch up. She spanked a couple of HD this summer and laughed about that more than a little. Good luck and good riding!

#37 ·
Just this past week I was reading in one of my therapy journals about failure rates is some of the older stents. Sorry yours went bad on ya.

The quality of prosthetics today is astounding. You'll be entering ass-kicking contests in no time.

#39 ·
Sorry to hear about your leg...that really sucks. I wish you all the best in a speedy recovery and hope you dont let this get you too down. I do think that the suggestion of the honda 700 is a great idea. Local shop has one in the showroom and its a nice bike. I would give it a look when you feel up to it

#42 ·
Sorry to hear this..

Oh my god... I am so sorry to hear about this and hope things work out for you. If you want to ride I am sure you can still do it even with a replacement below the knee. I have seen people do most things.. here is a site I found that might be very inspirational for you in your recovery...

Motorcycle Amputee

#43 ·
Best of luck on your recovery. Life is full of unknowns.......never know what each day will bring into your life, good or bad.
I had chronic kidney failure for four years, then total failure in 2009. One year on dialysis. Luckily for me, my brother donated one of his kidneys to me in 2010 and I have been doing fine for over 2 years now. I have been truly blessed.
You will overcome this and become a stronger person and more thankful for what life has to offer.

#47 ·
Well I am back home from the hospital. They had to make an adjustment to my leg and not a good one. The infection had gone up into my knee & their was just too much dead muscle below my knee. They made an above the knee cut. I must say I do feel better without all the sickness floating about in my body. So a Burghman may be in my future. Shame my wee is so farkled & new it will be a tough sell down the road. Dam I just put a Penski on the dam thing. Hey I have larger issues.

#48 ·
Well I am back home from the hospital. They had to make an adjustment to my leg and not a good one. The infection had gone up into my knee & their was just too much dead muscle below my knee. They made an above the knee cut.
Unfortunate but at least now rehab can begin. Stay positive, take it one day at a time. Two wheels will happen again if it is important to you. :thumbup:

#49 ·
Both my Dad and a good friend lost a leg. One above the other below the knee. I liked the Dr advise to us. "He's not handicapped unless you treat him like he is." My Dad said the down side was they took away his golf handicap. Turned out standing on the fake leg straightened out his swing and he could drive a ball further and as straight as an arrow.

You have several great options when you ride in the future. Both the FJR and VFR come with paddle shifts. These are large powerful sport touring bikes. Also the NC700X is available as an automatic and got fantastic reviews in the last Motorcycle Consumer News and is dang close to the V-Strom. Reward yourself after rehab when you get back on your feet with a new ride! Best of luck to you, hope to see you on the road in the near future.

#51 · (Edited)
First off, thankfully your still with us! I'm in healthcare, I've seen lots of people go through this, lots of them still ride. My dear old Grandma had an above knee amputation (AKA) in the mid 60's and I wouldn't want to be the one who told her she couldn't do something. Stay positive, be diligent on your rehab and don't settle, your life isn't over. My positive vibes and prayers are coming your way. Hopefully we can share a road together when your mended.

#52 ·
My wife has been all over the Sierra's and the west coast on her Burgman. I ride it a bunch, too. The under seat storage area is crazy big. I admire your attitude. Grit like yours is what makes motorcycle folks the best. I hope to ride with you one day.:hurray:

#53 ·
Thank you all. that site looks like a good one. Maybe I will be able to keep the wee after all.

#54 ·
I sold my Gold Wing today. The wee may be close behind. The problem is that I put to many farkels on it. It's a 2011 with too much stuff & with no leg I can't take it apart. It will be one hell of a give away when I decide to let it go.

#55 ·
I hope you don't feel you have to sell the wee. But if so, perhaps someone from this site who lives relatively close to you can help you with disassembling the farkles. But more than anything I am wishing you the best in overcoming your adversity and hoping that you can inspire the rest of us.

#56 ·
I know just how you feel. Somebody's going to get a great deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.