2006 DL-650 1st Valve Adjustment, 88k miles... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Default 2006 DL-650 1st Valve Adjustment, 88k miles...

After 88k hard miles, LoveShack got her first valve adjustment. Here's the nitty gritty:

All exhaust valves were still within spec, right in the middle of specified tolerances.

As expected, the intake valves were tight, both left and right, on both cylinders, but not by much. The specs call for .10 to .20mm clarences, and LoveShack's were .25 and .28 respectively, on both cylinders. Not bad after 88k miles, considering the abuse I've put her through .

The only caveat in this equation is the intake boots were brittle, and therefore replaced. After speaking with the mechanic, he told me two things:

1. He was sure the valves had been inspected prior, as the valve gasket on the rear cylinder was as fresh as the day it came out of the factory. Usually, that one needs replacing due to the heat coming from the rear exhaust.

2. It was refreshing to see someone actually riding a 2006 model with more than 3K miles on it. He also mentioned my valvetrain is in great condition .

Total cost for the valve adjustment which obviously included pulling the cams and replacing the shims to set the valves on the loose end of the specs: $297.00.

While he was in there, I had him replace the original coolant, which he also tested for grins, and found it still held the cooling capabilities of fresh coolant. It's fresh now, so no worries on that end.

I also had him replace the original spark plugs. No discussion in that department, as the bike ran fine when I brought it in.

He also did a throttle body synch, which was slightly out of spec, but as he said, "It really didn't need to be done."

Beyond that, he cleaned my K&N air filter, and buttoned the bitch back up.

After 88k miles, LoveShack is ready for another 88 . YMMV may vary, of course, but I thought some of you would be interested in just how wonderful the DL-650 motor really is .

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 PM
$tromtrooper

I've checked the valve clearance each year on mine (put in fresh coolant also). They were on the tight end to start with but moved very little. This spring, at around 60kmi, I decided to get them set to the high side and quit worrying about it. I had also changed spark plugs every year, even though the ones that came out looked like new. I had iridiums put in. So, for the foreseeable future: oil changes, cleaning air filter and riding.

Around 75kmi now and it runs better than new.

09 DL650 ABS

MadStad + stock shield, JCW large topbox, Tuturo chain oiler, Heaterz grips, Suzuki hand guards, GIVI side guards, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, 36l Givi panniers, Richland Rick fork brace, Pipercross Air Filter

http://www.aldntn.bravejournal.com/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thank you for that report. I can go another year or 2 or 30K miles before worrying about the valves based on your use. I don't flog mine much so they should be just fine.
Met another Strommer the other day and he was telling me that the Wee was described as 40K mile bike then you throw it away and get a new one. Drivel! Folks just don't know how good they are.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Moderator++

One person's experience on one bike does not predict another person's on another bike. Here's a rundown on many experiences. Valve clearance adjustment poll for those who have done it or had it done

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at http://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I had him replace the original coolant, which he also tested for grins, and found it still held the cooling capabilities of fresh coolant.
He probably tested the freezing point, not the cooling capacity. The freezing point won't change unless you have a leak and use plain water as the make up. The real question is the level of corrosion inhibitors. Did he test that?
Me: Honesty
Interviewer: I think honesty is a great strength
Me: I don't give a ---- what you think.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hi Dave.

Glad to hear all is well with LoveShack.

I check my Wee every winter. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but as I recall, one side was trending tighter (can't remember with out looking it up... intake or exhaust?) Will probably have to re-shim when I dig into it next month. Should be a bit of and adventure.

By the way, my 09 is catching up with you; she's about to roll over 55,000.

Anyway, I guess this post is somewhat pointless. ...just wanted to say hi.

Hope you are doing well.

Brad

Last edited by guitarhack; 11-24-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:23 PM
$tromtrooper

My first valve adjustment was at 209,000km, 4 exhaust valves was all it took. Still using the original valve cover gasket as well.

cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.