tank bag - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

My Cortech magnetic fits perfect and the magnets hold very well.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've got a three year old Dowco magnetic tank bag which fits on my Heritage Softail and the Strom. I've ridden thousands of miles with it on each with no problems. There is an integrated rain cover and a large map pocket.

Cost about $70 at the Iron Pony.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:54 AM
$tromtrooper

I have the Joe Rocket Manta XL. I regret buying it. It's not what I needed.

It's not in ANY way XL in size. A day/commuter bag only. Will not supplement luggage.
It has a CD player pouch (?) with earphone pass through hole.
It has one large inner compartment, and the rain cover that you access from a zipper on the front takes up space inside.
No "organization" features at all.
Cellphone pocket (with little display window) on the top was made for cellphones from the 90's.

It's definitely not a modern design.

On the upside:

The magnets hold fine. It's never moved up to 110 mph, although the magnets seem to leave a residue that looked like scratches, but came off with a vigorous rubbing.

Rain cover seems to work and is tied to the bag so cannot blow away (even though it has come off - operator error).

'10 Vee Adv
Multiple Farkles :
Stebel Horn with Screaming Banshee,Gorilla Alarm, Madstadt Bracket, RichlandRick's fork brace, accessory shelf and mirror extenders, PCV, Twin 12v outlets, Twisted Throttle and EB Fuse Blocks, Admore Light Bar, GPS and Contour Camera Ram Mount, Bark Busters, 8k HIDS, Omni-Cruise Throttle Lock, Altrider Bars, sliders and side-stand foot. Wolfman Rainier Tank Bag, ADVMonster "30" Aux Lights
Old 11-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am looking for a tank bag too, wonder if anyone has any deals on today's Black Friday specials. is there a way to do a search on a deal like this.

Chet
Old 11-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have a Luggage Locker "Tank Locker" mounted on a Cortech Dryver tank ring mount. Works great, but is a hybrid and not worth the money in hindsight. I like the Dryver line by Cortech though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDOSER View Post
I have this.... so far Itīs ok.
Easy to mount and no scratching surfaces when refuel
Strong fabrics

GIVI_TANKLOCK System - YouTube
I too highly recommend these Givi Tanklock bags......easy to unlock and flip over for fueling, doesn't come in contact with tank...therefore no scratching, holds a lot of your easy to get personal stuff and is expandable, a plave to put your 4.3 inch GPS although I've found that due to the angle on which it is viewed, they are hard to read, has a very good rain cover...was used on my first trip with it and never leaked.
I don't have any close up pics with mine but this is the best one I've found.

If you ever change bikes, all you need is the different flange ring for your bike....

Cheers

wobbly_boot

Dave
Old 11-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the same model. The newer version has a 'smartphone' sized pocket on top, IIRC. It has worked well enough for me, but see below.

Pro: The base with the magnets seems to have been made with the Strom in mind - the magnets all lie on the steel surfaces, not the plastic.

Con: I'm also looking for a new bag because I really miss the map pocket, even when I'm using a GPS.

Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneguy View Post
I have the Joe Rocket Manta XL. I regret buying it. It's not what I needed.

It's not in ANY way XL in size. A day/commuter bag only. Will not supplement luggage.
It has a CD player pouch (?) with earphone pass through hole.
It has one large inner compartment, and the rain cover that you access from a zipper on the front takes up space inside.
No "organization" features at all.
Cellphone pocket (with little display window) on the top was made for cellphones from the 90's.

It's definitely not a modern design.

On the upside:

The magnets hold fine. It's never moved up to 110 mph, although the magnets seem to leave a residue that looked like scratches, but came off with a vigorous rubbing.

Rain cover seems to work and is tied to the bag so cannot blow away (even though it has come off - operator error).
Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalky Tracker View Post
I started with a Cortech Super Mini magnetic tank bag. I have now switched to the new Bags-Connection Engage EVO quick-lock tank bag that uses the B-C gas cap ring to mount and secure it. The bag is a tad small but has worked fine so far and I really like the mounting (and dismounting) system.

I also got the map case for mounting on top. Which has worked well too, though it is not waterproof. Probably why the Engage bag comes with a waterproof cover that will cover the map case too.
+1
55 CJ5
Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

This wiki page might help you:
http://stromtrooper.wikispaces.com/Tank+Bags

Stromtrooper Wiki - http://stromtrooper.wikispaces.com/
Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I'm on my second V-Strom (first 07), now I have a just purchased new 2011 (White). On this bike I tried to put all the accessories on that were much more to my liking and more convenient to use. I went with a Bag Connection Engage Model with the quick disconnect from Twisted Throttle. Bags-Connection "Engage" EVO Quick-Lock Tankbag for SW-MOTECH Gascap Mounting System - V-Strom DL650, '12- - Suzuki - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com This bag is a little more expensive then others, but I think for all the options it has it is worth the money. The bag comes with the mounting bracket not install so you can mount it where it fits the curvature of the fuel tank perfect. Plus, it has several features that are built into the bag or come with it, rain cover, front and rear electrical ports for accessories, and the quick disconnect feature. I even purchase the GPS mount that mounts to the bag, sold extra. All I have to do is unplug one plug and pull the bag release handle and its off, I can store it either in the luggage, or take it with me, with the carrying strap. Works for me perfect, may work for you.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement