StromTrooper banner

Thinking of buying an 2007 vstrom 650

6K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  alpacaNrut 
#1 ·
I am thinking about buying a 2007 vstrom 650. Not sure if it is ABS or not, I am going to find out. It has around 5000 miles. Just wondering what you all think these models go for if in excellent condition. Thanks for the help!

#4 ·
For me, the lack of ABS is a deal breaker. Your choice.

As said above, all pricing is local. Search Cycletrader and Craigslist to get an idea of the asking prices.

#35 ·
I agree - ABS is proven to be safer and stop sooner. The '07 was also a decent design upgrade too. Dual plugs for one thing - mine has under 10,000 miles and purrs. By now they are selling for am pittance and you should have a decent choice of bikes to consider. Hope you get a good one...

#5 · (Edited)
Plus 1 for above comments, it depends on so many variables.

I bought my 07' about a year ago for $4,800 and it had 20k miles and about $4k of farkles. So fantastic deals are out there. Be patient and be willing to travel. I searched for 3 months and made a 4hour drive to get mine. Good stroms are plentiful and always available.

Edit: In regards to ABS... it depends on whether or not you intend to go off road with the bike. I do a substantial amount of off road riding so *no* ABS is preferred for me.

#6 ·
I got my 2007 V-Strom 650 in 2008 (no abs). I have had it ever since, ride it every day and all over Europe. Its a great bike and if you go for it I'm sure you will love it.

No idea how much they are costing in the US but around here, like has been said above, the price varies a lot depending on mileage, condition, seller, panniers, other farkles, etc. I have seen 2007 +/- a year or two ranging from the equivalent of $4,000 up to twice that.

#36 ·
Plus 1 for above comments, it depends on so many variables.

I bought my 07' about a year ago for $4,800 and it had 20k miles and about $4k of farkles. So fantastic deals are out there. Be patient and be willing to travel. I searched for 3 months and made a 4hour drive to get mine. Good stroms are plentiful and always available.

Edit: In regards to ABS... it depends on whether or not you intend to go off road with the bike. I do a substantial amount of off road riding so *no* ABS is preferred for me.
I bought my 2007 last Feb. with 5,200 miles and paid 3550.00. Excellent condition but basically bone stock. Spent well over another grand getting it set up to my liking, which is OK, to me that's half the fun.
Just for comparison, I bought my '07 ABS model in '07 for $6200 with 7k on it and about $1200 in farkles and a 4-year ext. warranty. It ran for $7200 new that year at the dealership. This makes the current offerings out there especially attractive for low mileage listings.

Adding a grand or more on farkles, new tires or maintenance creates a bargain for a bike running at $4-5000 in top shape with such a great rep for economy and reliability. With a $10k price tag for a new stock config, this isn't a tough decision...

G
#7 ·
I bought my 2007 last Feb. with 5,200 miles and paid 3550.00. Excellent condition but basically bone stock. Spent well over another grand getting it set up to my liking, which is OK, to me that's half the fun.

#9 ·
I have a '07 myself. Mine is a solid bike (no problems) and I am happy with it. My son bought it new and sold it to me last year when he got into some financial difficulties (that happens some times, he got a child out of the deal). The only thing I would change about my bike is that I would have sprung for the ABS if I had been buying it new.

If you can find one farkled out with most of the stuff you would put on it yourself, you will very likely be way ahead by buying one pre-farkled. Farkles are expensive (I have about $4k of farlkes in mine).

#10 ·
What list of farkles gets to $4K (besides a call girl to ride pillion)? I think I have nearly every doodad available and I know I haven't got even to $2K:
SWMoto skid plate and crash bars
OEM centerstand
OEM handguards
heated grips
GPS shelf
12V aux plug
bar risers
ATV high bars
Intiminator fork valves
SS front brake line
Easter Beaver headlight cut-out switch and aux fuse block
Suzuki hard bags and rack
aux driving lights
Whelen high-intensity LED running lights
radiator guard
Rick Mayer seat
TWO oversized windshields in addition to the OEM
...and probably more that I have forgotten. How in hell can you get to $4K?
WHAT AM I MISSING? Agghhhh.......:mrgreen:

#13 ·
42. It's always the answer.

#18 ·
You're missing an automatic chain oiler
I'll be ordering today. I REFUSE TO BE OUTFARKLED!:green_lol:

Actually, I forgot to list fork brace and heat-troller. I think things are getting a little out of hand when somebody can't even remember all the gizmos he has added.

Hmmm...I wonder how a string of Christmas tree lights tastefully strung around frame members would look....

#19 ·
I'll be ordering today. I REFUSE TO BE OUTFARKLED!:green_lol:
Then, at a minimum, you have to spend over $2000 on suspension like I did on my 2007.

2007 Suzuki DL650 w/ABS plus Fenda Extenda, sport and touring MP shields, clear signal lenses, OEM hand guards, Audiovox CC-100 cruise control, NEP CC4 throttle lock, clock/temp/voltmeter guage, 2 Heat-Trollers, Sargent seat, SV Racing sliders, Adventure Motostuff turn signal conversion kit, HotGrips with Grip Puppies, SW-Motech quick release sidecase racks with locks and tool tube - center stand - engine guards, fork gaiters, Eastern Beaver single headlight cutoff switch with relay and PC8 fuse block, Superbrace, EBC HH front brake pads and organic rear pads, Emgo mirrors, Genie garage door opener, 2 cigarette lighter type sockets, earbuds with two jacks wired to bike for Garmin Zumo 550, Elka shock, Pat Walsh dash with stiffener, Ram ball mount, LED turn signals including front running lights and LED tail lights plus below cowling running lights, Traxxion fork cartridges, speed bleeders, VVME.com HID headlights with relay, MOSFET regulator/rectifier, Gear Indicator Pro DX, grease fittings on the center stand pivots and rear brake lever pivot, stainless steel allen head replacement case bolts, adjustable hand levers, SKF tapered roller steering head bearings, Raceratb corrected gauge faces, Madstad windscreen bracket, Richland Rick's big side stand foot, RichlandRick footpeg lowering kit, Stebel horn and Bales oil filter conversion center bolt.

#20 ·
Or buy a Ducati Multistrada...or Aprilia Tuono..and get the upgraded components installed directly from the factory floor.

Farkling and upgrading these things is fun and keeps us out of Petraeus-like trouble to be sure, but I wonder if there isn't some practical limit to how much lipstick the pig needs or deserves.

To be fair, I wrestle with this in regard to fixing up my '94 Corvette convertible, too. At what point does it stop making sense to throw money at something if the intrinsic value of the thing is less than the money thrown at it? It's not that I can't afford either, but my old Ohio farm-boy frugality sometimes emerges and hits me with the cold reality stick.

Dang it. I wish I had been born in the Hamptons so I would not be burdened by these considerations.:mrgreen:

#34 ·
I wonder if there isn't some practical limit to how much lipstick the pig needs or deserves.To be fair, I wrestle with this in regard to fixing up my '94 Corvette convertible, too. At what point does it stop making sense to throw money at something if the intrinsic value of the thing is less than the money thrown at it?
I have the same problem with my 1991 sailboat. She needs a bunch of expensive upgrades to compete with the new ones. However, a new 36' boat would be about 250K, so just the SALES TAX on a new boat will buy a LOT of farkles for my baby. As for bike farkles, I just like to fiddle. Since these new bikes don't break down, it gives me something to do in the garage.

Mike

#21 ·
I reckon we pay for food, clothing, shelter and security first. Then, we decide what brings us joy. I enjoy playing with the bike in the garage as much as out on the road so modifications earn their keep in the installation as much as the result. YMMV

Toys go through cycles though. Right now, I have a bunch of woodworking tools I may never use again.

#26 ·
Bought new 07' 650 V-Strom

I purchased my 07' 650 Strom new. I just turned over 30,000 miles and have only changed the chain and sprockets along with a couple of tires and oil changes, basically the routine maintenance. I love it!! It ran me $7200 out the door. It's still bone stock, but see that I should get some add-on.

#27 ·
Mileage question

I was hoping for some buying advice too...

I am looking at a 2007 Wee with ABS and 47K miles, he's got probably about $1800 in farkles and claims it is in great shape and well-maintained with "most" records and needs no repairs, never crashed. He wants somewhere in the mid $4000 (as it stands now). I think I can get him to the low $4000 but the only reason I am hesitating is the high mileage. He put on new tires in June so that is not a worry but I am concerned about any major service requirements or expensive components that might need to be replaced as this bike hits the big 50K and beyond. So is it reasonable to expect to get fairly trouble free miles from Wee with this many miles or am I rolling the dice here? Thanks for any help.

#28 ·
I was hoping for some buying advice too...

I am looking at a 2007 Wee with ABS and 47K miles, he's got probably about $1800 in farkles and claims it is in great shape and well-maintained with "most"

So is it reasonable to expect to get fairly trouble free miles from Wee with this many miles or am I rolling the dice here? Thanks for any help.
Take it for a ride, if it goes well, starts easily, doesn't have any 'odd' sounds (bearing in mind that wees seems rattle anyway) and looks unmessed about with then thats all in its favour. I personally wouldn't have a problem buying a bike with that mileage, if you search the forums it seems that many go well beyond that.

Just a thought, check for rounded off nut heads, damaged allen key heads, missing fasteners and other 'bodged' bits which may be the result of a shoddy owner/service agent, if you find anything like that then leave it alone. In reality, if the bike has been serviced properly and ridden well it should ride pretty much as it did when new.

And of course look at chain, sprocket, brake pads and tyres.

Oh, and also ask the previous owner if he has any shims left over from the valve check, if he has any then at least you'll know the valve clearance has been checked!

I seem to have gone on a bit, hope that helps.

#30 ·
My first 2007 had it's valves last checked at 45,000 miles. It never needed adjustment, let alone shims. This is not atypical.
Mmmmm....mmmm (makes humming noises indicating some doubt about this statement:mrgreen:) I think "not unknown" may be a better formulation than "not atypical" when you get to that mileage. It certainly has not been my experience with two different bikes with much lower mileage that that.

Wallydog beat me to it, but I also would have advised caution with respect to service history. The OP should be aware that IF valve adjustment is needed (and he is not able or willing to do it himself) he is looking a few hundred dollars tacked onto the purchase price -- which is not all that attractive to begin with.

If the seller claims "checked but did not need adjustment" I would translate that as "you'll have to do it because I did not."

I just sold my '07 with all service done and flawless bodywork, 13K miles, for $3800. No farkles, but they can be acquired piecemeal on the "for sale" section of this forum.

#31 ·
Wallydog beat me to it, but I also would have advised caution with respect to service history. The OP should be aware that IF valve adjustment is needed (and he is not able or willing to do it himself) he is looking a few hundred dollars tacked onto the purchase price -- which is not all that attractive to begin with.

If the seller claims "checked but did not need adjustment" I would translate that as "you'll have to do it because I did not."
Funny thing is that is exactly what he said about the valve adjustment. He claims to have the records. Farkles include sargent seat, bar risers, heated grips, center stand, Tourance tires (in June), Givi bags, top case bracket for Givi bags, crash bars, new battery (Sept).

I just sold my '07 with all service done and flawless bodywork, 13K miles, for $3800. No farkles, but they can be acquired piecemeal on the "for sale" section of this forum.
This bike has ABS which is why he is so high. I'm a returning rider and think that ABS would be nice to have (but not essential), its one of the few bikes I have seen in my price range that has ABS. If this bike didn't have so many miles I wouldn't be tortured by the decision. My concern (in addition to the valves) are wheel or steering bearings, etc long term wear items that might be coming due and, of course, over paying for the bike.

Thanks for your advice.

#32 ·
This bike has ABS
That's different. I just paid $4800 for a pristine but mostly unfarkled '08 with 13K miles and I was happy to do it. But then I did the valves myself and saved something there.

#37 ·
I just found some sort of price detail sheet for a then-new 2008 wee. My second semi-serious attempt at getting the bike thwarted by dealer shenanigans. The first time with the 2007 it was, "Oh hey, you don't want ABS... let me show you this." This time it was, "Oh hey, we can do 18% financing." :yikes: Followed a couple of hours later after I left with, "Oh hey, we can get you a special deal on financing, 14%." :headbang: Aurora Suzuki in Seattle

#38 ·
I picked up my 2009(non-ABS) in excellent condition with about 5000 miles last August for $5000.
It was stock except for the Suzuki handgaurds.
I love it, it's the third bike I have owned in my short motorcycling career and far superior to my 2002 Kawasaki KLR 650(don't get me wrong, that was a great bike too) which I sold in order to help pay for the wee.
I too wanted ABS, but have no regrets. In fact I am kind of glad I don't have it for the off road riding that I plan to do.
My only advice is that you hold out for a killer deal, they are out there, that way you have more cash for awesome farkles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.