Thinking of buying an 2007 vstrom 650 - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Wallydog beat me to it, but I also would have advised caution with respect to service history. The OP should be aware that IF valve adjustment is needed (and he is not able or willing to do it himself) he is looking a few hundred dollars tacked onto the purchase price -- which is not all that attractive to begin with.

If the seller claims "checked but did not need adjustment" I would translate that as "you'll have to do it because I did not."
Funny thing is that is exactly what he said about the valve adjustment. He claims to have the records. Farkles include sargent seat, bar risers, heated grips, center stand, Tourance tires (in June), Givi bags, top case bracket for Givi bags, crash bars, new battery (Sept).

Quote:
I just sold my '07 with all service done and flawless bodywork, 13K miles, for $3800. No farkles, but they can be acquired piecemeal on the "for sale" section of this forum.
This bike has ABS which is why he is so high. I'm a returning rider and think that ABS would be nice to have (but not essential), its one of the few bikes I have seen in my price range that has ABS. If this bike didn't have so many miles I wouldn't be tortured by the decision. My concern (in addition to the valves) are wheel or steering bearings, etc long term wear items that might be coming due and, of course, over paying for the bike.

Thanks for your advice.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
This bike has ABS
That's different. I just paid $4800 for a pristine but mostly unfarkled '08 with 13K miles and I was happy to do it. But then I did the valves myself and saved something there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post
Funny thing is that is exactly what he said about the valve adjustment. He claims to have the records.
Thanks for your advice.
If you search the forum on 'valve check poll' you'll see that many wees have gone though 1, 2 and some even 3 valve checks with no adjustment needed. Mine needed minor adjustment to clearances on the first check and nothing since.

Checking and adjust the valves may sound and look complicated but its actually reasonably easy and requires only basic tools. If you're not happy to actually adjust them yourself you could always just check the clearances and then take to a mechanic if adjustment is required.

Hope I'm not turning this into a valve check thread!!

Good luck with your purchase, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

2007 DL650 (love it)
1983 BMW R100RS (20 years and 100,000k)
1983 Honda XL185S (chases sheep around the farm)
2007 Yamaha YF400 (feeds the sheep, pulls trailers, great up river beds)
1985 Yamaha YB50 (crossed the Southern Alps on that one)
1972 Velosolex S3800 (a blonde moment, please excuse me)
1975 Honda C50 (the original step thru)

And gone are: Raleigh Runabout (x 2), Yamaha FS1E, Honda CD175, MZ Trophy, Suzuki SP370, Yamaha RD 350, Suzuki GT 750, Triumph 5TA, BSA B40, Honda 400/4, James Cadet, Honda XL 185 (but bought another one), Suzuki YF500?, Honda S90 (which I wish wish wish I still had) and a few more which the grey matter won't release at the present.

When I was a boy my parents said 'you are NOT having a motorcycle'. So I had lots.
IBA 54971
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I wonder if there isn't some practical limit to how much lipstick the pig needs or deserves.To be fair, I wrestle with this in regard to fixing up my '94 Corvette convertible, too. At what point does it stop making sense to throw money at something if the intrinsic value of the thing is less than the money thrown at it?
I have the same problem with my 1991 sailboat. She needs a bunch of expensive upgrades to compete with the new ones. However, a new 36' boat would be about 250K, so just the SALES TAX on a new boat will buy a LOT of farkles for my baby. As for bike farkles, I just like to fiddle. Since these new bikes don't break down, it gives me something to do in the garage.

Mike
Old 01-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRider View Post
For me, the lack of ABS is a deal breaker. Your choice.

As said above, all pricing is local. Search Cycletrader and Craigslist to get an idea of the asking prices.
I agree - ABS is proven to be safer and stop sooner. The '07 was also a decent design upgrade too. Dual plugs for one thing - mine has under 10,000 miles and purrs. By now they are selling for am pittance and you should have a decent choice of bikes to consider. Hope you get a good one...

2007 Suzuki DL650A | 1996 Jeep Cherokee | 2003 Mercedes E320 | 1995 Mazda Miata
Old 01-18-2013, 10:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark87 View Post
I got my 2007 V-Strom 650 in 2008 (no abs). I have had it ever since, ride it every day and all over Europe. Its a great bike and if you go for it I'm sure you will love it.

No idea how much they are costing in the US but around here, like has been said above, the price varies a lot depending on mileage, condition, seller, panniers, other farkles, etc. I have seen 2007 +/- a year or two ranging from the equivalent of $4,000 up to twice that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
Plus 1 for above comments, it depends on so many variables.

I bought my 07' about a year ago for $4,800 and it had 20k miles and about $4k of farkles. So fantastic deals are out there. Be patient and be willing to travel. I searched for 3 months and made a 4hour drive to get mine. Good stroms are plentiful and always available.

Edit: In regards to ABS... it depends on whether or not you intend to go off road with the bike. I do a substantial amount of off road riding so *no* ABS is preferred for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wess23 View Post
I bought my 2007 last Feb. with 5,200 miles and paid 3550.00. Excellent condition but basically bone stock. Spent well over another grand getting it set up to my liking, which is OK, to me that's half the fun.
Just for comparison, I bought my '07 ABS model in '07 for $6200 with 7k on it and about $1200 in farkles and a 4-year ext. warranty. It ran for $7200 new that year at the dealership. This makes the current offerings out there especially attractive for low mileage listings.

Adding a grand or more on farkles, new tires or maintenance creates a bargain for a bike running at $4-5000 in top shape with such a great rep for economy and reliability. With a $10k price tag for a new stock config, this isn't a tough decision...

2007 Suzuki DL650A | 1996 Jeep Cherokee | 2003 Mercedes E320 | 1995 Mazda Miata
Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

I just found some sort of price detail sheet for a then-new 2008 wee. My second semi-serious attempt at getting the bike thwarted by dealer shenanigans. The first time with the 2007 it was, "Oh hey, you don't want ABS... let me show you this." This time it was, "Oh hey, we can do 18% financing." Followed a couple of hours later after I left with, "Oh hey, we can get you a special deal on financing, 14%." Aurora Suzuki in Seattle
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I picked up my 2009(non-ABS) in excellent condition with about 5000 miles last August for $5000.
It was stock except for the Suzuki handgaurds.
I love it, it's the third bike I have owned in my short motorcycling career and far superior to my 2002 Kawasaki KLR 650(don't get me wrong, that was a great bike too) which I sold in order to help pay for the wee.
I too wanted ABS, but have no regrets. In fact I am kind of glad I don't have it for the off road riding that I plan to do.
My only advice is that you hold out for a killer deal, they are out there, that way you have more cash for awesome farkles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement