Is 'A' only indicative of the bike having ABS? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
The sensor rings on the wheel hubs will be there regardless of cosmetic changes.
And also if someone installs salvage yard wheels from a wrecked ABS model to replace non-ABS damaged rims. All you need is a spacer to replace the ABS pick-up module on the hub. I have changed out wheels on previous bikes, even scavenging from other models to go from spoked to alloys. That's why I said the title is the most definitive indication of the bike's equipment.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sometimes it varies by market. In general, ABS has tended to be optional in the US, and standard in markets like Europe and Canada and Australia. Depends on the manufacturer. But this has been changing in recent years.

I would say that it is very unlikely that a wee would have the sensor rings on the wheel and not have ABS, unless the bike is rebuilt from a collision. Look for the ring and sensor on both wheels (front and back).

My experience on Craig's list is that people will seldom use the correct model number. They usually will explicitly say ABS in the ad, usually because they get tired of people asking them if it does or does not have ABS. Usually, ABS is a benefit that helps sell the a bike.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

My DL650A (with ABS) has the ABS stickers on the front fender. The stickers on the rear side panels show DL650 only. Don't go by this sticker to determine the model you have.

DL650A is the model designation for the ABS model. DL650 is without. Regardless of sticker

According to my 2009 shop manual:

In Canada and the US, including California, the 2007 to at least 2009 inclusive (and likely up to 2011) NON-ABS DL650 has a VIN starting with JS1VP54A.

and

In Canada and the US, including California, the 2007 to at least 2009 inclusive (and likely up to 2011) ABS DL650A has a VIN starting with JS1VP54B.

In Canada, anyway, at one point onward (2009?) only the ABS version was imported. I don't know about the US.

One (other!) way to check if the bike has ABS is to remove the seat. Behind the battery, the two ABS-labeled fuses will be staring right back at you.

My Suzuki and dealer paperwork show the model as DL650A, fwiw. (DLA on my registration).

Marc

"To the Companion who knows how to go light and fare hard, who is friendly with the rain, and finds no road too long." - Dedication in "Brown Waters and Other Sketches" by W. H. Blake, Malbaie, May, 1915. I like to think that still holds pretty well.

Last edited by perArdua; 11-18-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: attempt to demuddle my post
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Suzuki seems to be further complicating the situation. I noticed that the Canadian Suzuki website refers to all models as "V-Strom 650A ABS" while the US Suzuki website refers to all models as "V-Strom 650 ABS" .

Also, it appears that Suzuki has stopped using the full model designation "DL650" in any of their promotional material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement