6th gear indicator? anyone made one? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 AM
$tromtrooper

Default 6th gear indicator? anyone made one?

okay so please don't say "just look at your tach and speedo and you'll know" because i know that i will know...

right now i even have a home made gear indicator (thanks Voltar ) but am thinking about going more simplistic now...all i want is an indicating LED on my dash to let me know when i engage into 6th gear without having to compare my gauges...i want to mount it up so it will be in my peripheral vision when just cruising...

i have searched around the forum a bit and haven't found anything yet besides a bunch of discussion of trying to figure it out, but these threads are a few years old now...

i figure with some of the electrical sparky gadgets these guys are making these days it shouldn't be too hard to make an LED that turns on when the little pink wire with a white stripe outputs 4.55 volts

anyone? thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Does the wee not have an O/D indicator on the display? My vee does so I assumed the wee would too.

"The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest."[INDENT]-- My wife[/INDENT]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredDriver View Post
Does the wee not have an O/D indicator on the display? My vee does so I assumed the wee would too.
The older wee does not have the indicator on it
Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbronco_74 View Post
The older wee does not have the indicator on it
Hmm, weird. I did not know that. I have the DL1000k7 and it does. I would have that yours would be older than that, but your sig says it's also a k7. That's odd.

Maybe yours is burned out

"The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest."[INDENT]-- My wife[/INDENT]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Bass:

I could re-program a chip for you that turns on the "Decimal Point" on your gear indicator display when you are in 6th gear. From that, you should be able to simply disconnect the DP wire from the 7-seg and wire that to an LED.

Would that work? The DP LED on the 7-segment is only used during the power on self test.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

How much electronics experience do you have?

Basically all you need is an LED that lights up when the gear position indicator voltage is around 4.55v. In practice that means it's somewhere above about 4.3v but less than about 4.7v. (above and up to 5v means it's in neutral)

You can do this easily using a microcontroller such as a Picaxe 8M2, a voltage regulator, a few resistors and an LED, or you could do it with discrete components using comparators.

I'm not aware of anyone making such a device, probably because it's almost no extra work at all to make a 7 segment gear position indicator once you have a microcontroller looking at the gear position indicator voltage. That's what I did.

If you have a gear position indicator already working, there's probably a way to tap into it and extract the signal to light a single LED when you are in 6th gear. How to do that depends on the circuit being used. Do you have the circuit diagram? If you are using the Voltar circuit, all you would need to do would be to make a connection to pin 16 of the 18M2 microcontroller and insert a program command "High c.7" whenever 6th gear was indicated and "Low c.7" when 6th gear wasn't indicated, then connect an LED with a 150 ohm resistor in series from pin 16 to ground. If you are using his program and you don't have programming ability yourself I guess you'd have to ask him to make the changes to his program and download it to an 18M2 chip for you.

Afterthought: You could also do this by wiring the 4 lower segments of the 7 segment display to the 4 inputs of a 4 input AND gate. The only digit between 1 and 6 which has the 4 lower segments illuminated at the same time is the 6 (and the Wee isn't an 8 speed bike!) With a 4 input AND gate, the output would only go high when all 4 inputs are high and it could be used to light an LED which would only be on when the "6" was displayed. See http://www.doctronics.co.uk/4082.htm for a circuit idea.
2011 Suzuki DL650A

Last edited by BobA; 11-16-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredDriver View Post
Hmm, weird. I did not know that. I have the DL1000k7 and it does. I would have that yours would be older than that, but your sig says it's also a k7. That's odd.

Maybe yours is burned out
Dl1000 do have them, the 650s never have had them. It's not burned out it's nonexistent
Old 11-16-2012, 06:34 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltar View Post
Bass:

I could re-program a chip for you that turns on the "Decimal Point" on your gear indicator display when you are in 6th gear. From that, you should be able to simply disconnect the DP wire from the 7-seg and wire that to an LED.

Would that work? The DP LED on the 7-segment is only used during the power on self test.
That's an idea... Is there any way to use what I already have? Or will some reprogramming be needed?

What about what BobA is talking about?

I like the gear indicator but I want to simplify things... Just to try something different
Old 11-16-2012, 06:38 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
How much electronics experience do you have?

Basically all you need is an LED that lights up when the gear position indicator voltage is around 4.55v. In practice that means it's somewhere above about 4.3v but less than about 4.7v. (above and up to 5v means it's in neutral)

You can do this easily using a microcontroller such as a Picaxe 8M2, a voltage regulator, a few resistors and an LED, or you could do it with discrete components using comparators.

I'm not aware of anyone making such a device, probably because it's almost no extra work at all to make a 7 segment gear position indicator once you have a microcontroller looking at the gear position indicator voltage. That's what I did.

If you have a gear position indicator already working, there's probably a way to tap into it and extract the signal to light a single LED when you are in 6th gear. How to do that depends on the circuit being used. Do you have the circuit diagram? If you are using the Voltar circuit, all you would need to do would be to make a connection to pin 16 of the 18M2 microcontroller and insert a program command "High c.7" whenever 6th gear was indicated and "Low c.7" when 6th gear wasn't indicated, then connect an LED with a 150 ohm resistor in series from pin 16 to ground. If you are using his program and you don't have programming ability yourself I guess you'd have to ask him to make the changes to his program and download it to an 18M2 chip for you.

Afterthought: You could also do this by wiring the 4 lower segments of the 7 segment display to the 4 inputs of a 4 input AND gate. The only digit between 1 and 6 which has the 4 lower segments illuminated at the same time is the 6 (and the Wee isn't an 8 speed bike!) With a 4 input AND gate, the output would only go high when all 4 inputs are high and it could be used to light an LED which would only be on when the "6" was displayed. See http://www.doctronics.co.uk/4082.htm for a circuit idea.
Very interesting ideas...

I want to see what Voltar has to say too after reading your post.

I have enough electronic experience to build his rig and get myself in trouble :banghead:

I have no way to modify the chip I have from Voltar nor the knowledge to do so...
Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

BobA is pretty much correct.

The easiest option is probably to utilize the unused LEG16 on the PICAXE18M2 and have it put out a high (or on) voltage when the bike is in 6th gear. That way you could just unplug the PICAXE18M2 from the rig you built and plug in the newly programmed one. Wire an LED to LEG16 with a simple 330 Ohm resistor in series and you would be good to go.

BobA's suggestion of logic gates (AND gate) would also work, but would require adding a chip, wiring in power for it, etc. Certainly not difficult, but the new PICAXE18M2 route is cleaner, easier, faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement