Front brake upgrade questions - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Wess23

Default Front brake upgrade questions

I recently put some EBC HH pad's on the front of my 2007 non ABS and while they helped I want something better. I am looking at getting some CBR 600 calipers and the adapters from SV Racing.

My question is in regards to the master cylinder, I see quite a few comments that the stock unit is marginal at best. There are quite a few a CBR caliper sets listed that include the master cylinder, can this be made to work on my Wee or do I need to spend another 200 for a radial from SV Racing? I'm assuming the plumbing won't be a problem but what about the brake light?

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

I did the upgrade with Tokico calipers and Galfer HH pads from Blair, and the result is awesome.

No problem keeping the stock master cylinder whatsoever.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I did the upgrade with Nissin calipers. It works great! The stock master is fine.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Same here stock master with the 4 piston upgrade, It works well. I would like to experience what it is like with the upgraded master.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Wess23

Thanks for the replies. I will concentrate on getting a good set of calipers and not worry so much about whether the master is part of the deal.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo rider View Post
Same here stock master with the 4 piston upgrade, It works well. I would like to experience what it is like with the upgraded master.

The upgraded master that SV Racing sells is a Radial Master Cylinder. The wee has a Axial Master. The Axial design flexes . I doubt anyone would notice a difference.

Having said that, my KTM Superduke 990 has a radial master with radial calipers. They are the best brakes I've ever felt... ever.

"The relatively new radial mount caliper design virtually eliminates this torsion flex problem since it more efficiently spreads the load both fore and aft to the line of force."

Here is a brief explanation of radial of the master cylinder...

" Radial and conventional/axial master cylinders differ in the orientation of the piston relative to the handlebar and to the pull direction of the lever. The conventional design places the piston axis parallel to the handlebar and perpendicular to the lever pull direction. The radial design puts the piston axis parallel to the lever pull direction and perpendicular to the handlebar. Radial and axial master cylinders are functionally the same.

The main advantage of the radial design per se is that it moves the lever pivot point inward toward the centerline of the bike so that the same pull force develops a smaller moment about the connection point to the handlebar. This reduction in bending moment results in less flexing of the master cylinder housing. Any reduction in flexing of brake parts such as in the lever, MC housing, brake lines, calipers and caliper mounts add up to better brakes with better feel (modulation.) Also, aftermarket radial designs are generally stiffer than the OEM designs because they are machined from alloy billet material.
"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.