New Tires - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Magnolia, Ms
Posts: 133
New Tires

Only got 5000 miles out of my OEM back tire. I'm sure I could stretch another 1000 maybe, but why chance it. The roads here in Mississippi eats tires pretty good. The eat up my tires on my Valkyrie also. I'm a sticker for correct air pressure so that is not the reason for wearing out. No cupping at all. Anyway I ride 100% highway so I'm trying the Avon Road rider tires. Ordered the 100/90-19 front and 150/70-17 rear. Will see how these does. See how these does and maybe next change out might give the Michelin tires a try.
David
Warlock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: iowa
Posts: 259
I've done well with a couple of ME880s rears on my DL650 (10,000 miles each) and better with a Michelin Commander II (9500 miles, over 50% left). Ian, Iowa

Last edited by ianbh; 11-13-2012 at 11:07 AM.
ianbh is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Godfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cadillac, MI
Posts: 494
I too am a BIG fan of the Metzeler ME880 Marathon's. I ride 100% road and not too agressivly at that. Mainly day trips and solo touring. I just replaced my first set with another after....18,500 miles. I got less than 6,000 miles on the OEM tires.

Flat Black 08' DL650. Lots 0' goodies
Godfather is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ireland
Posts: 27
Big Fan of Metzler Tourance tyres, got 14,000 miles out of rear & 21,000 miles

front.

5000 miles seems awful low for me unless you ride like a bat outta hell !!!
tomtwix is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 11-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 179
I ride 70% freeway, 20% winding road, and 10% city. The trailwings on my 11' DL650 have lasted 11,500 miles and I will probably put another 1,000 on them. The front tire has scalloped and one side/corner of the tread blocks are much more worn than the other. I vary the pressure from 40/38 (road trips) to 36/33 (two lane), more or less. The handling is great, especially on the windy roads where I am focusing on my cornering techniques, but when I wiggle the bars at 25 mph or so the bike seems to undulate excessively. May be due to the flattening of both the front (@10,000 mi) and rear (8,000). I have obsessed enough now over replacement tires and think I will go with the battlewings.
frankintx is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Magnolia, Ms
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbh View Post
I've done well with a couple of ME880s rears on my DL650 (10,000 miles each) and better with a Michelin Commander II (9500 miles, over 50% left). Ian, Iowa
Looked at the ME880's hard. Do like the Michelin. Will probably will be my next choice.
David
Warlock is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Magnolia, Ms
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I too am a BIG fan of the Metzeler ME880 Marathon's. I ride 100% road and not too agressivly at that. Mainly day trips and solo touring. I just replaced my first set with another after....18,500 miles. I got less than 6,000 miles on the OEM tires.
WOW that's some good mileage.
David
Warlock is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Magnolia, Ms
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtwix View Post
Big Fan of Metzler Tourance tyres, got 14,000 miles out of rear & 21,000 miles

front.

5000 miles seems awful low for me unless you ride like a bat outta hell !!!
Might have to look into these tires.
David
Warlock is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Magnolia, Ms
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankintx View Post
I ride 70% freeway, 20% winding road, and 10% city. The trailwings on my 11' DL650 have lasted 11,500 miles and I will probably put another 1,000 on them. The front tire has scalloped and one side/corner of the tread blocks are much more worn than the other. I vary the pressure from 40/38 (road trips) to 36/33 (two lane), more or less. The handling is great, especially on the windy roads where I am focusing on my cornering techniques, but when I wiggle the bars at 25 mph or so the bike seems to undulate excessively. May be due to the flattening of both the front (@10,000 mi) and rear (8,000). I have obsessed enough now over replacement tires and think I will go with the battlewings.
I ride about 5% city, 10% Interstate and 85% back roads, and curve roads. Wore out pretty quick.
David
Warlock is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 11-14-2012, 04:03 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ashburton, New Zealand
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I too am a BIG fan of the Metzeler ME880 Marathon's. I ride 100% road and not too agressivly at that. Mainly day trips and solo touring. I just replaced my first set with another after....18,500 miles. I got less than 6,000 miles on the OEM tires.
I'd be interested to know what size ME880s you're using? I've trawled the Metzler sites and can't find the correct size for the wee listed.

I'm currently using battlewings and getting about 11,000km (7,000miles) out of the rear and 18,000km (11,000 miles) out of the front.

Ta

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

When I was a boy my parents said 'you are NOT having a motorcycle'. So I had lots.
IBA 54971
Wallydog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome