2011 DL650 Service Cost - USA - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
Go Back   Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums > Popular Forums > DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011

DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL 650 up to 2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 02:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

I understand why people dislike dealership service costs but that doesn't change much. How many Honda Ridgelines are there out there compared to Wee Stroms? Its part of the same reason car parts are often cheaper than bike parts, a lot has to do with sheer volume. Its kind of one of those things that you may not like it but its sort of the way it is until major changes come to the industry.
As far as expecting valve adjustments to fall under warranty, well, thats kind of silly in my book. I guess if it really bugs a person they should buy a bike that has hydraulic lifters. High performance bikes do require adjustments and there is no warranty in the world that is going to consider it a warranty issue any more than they would consider chain wear and adjustment under warranty.
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 02:36 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Warranties don't cover routine servicing, even on most cars. Valve adjustments are service and maintenance, not repairs.

Some cars do have free servicing for a while, but in general you're paying for it up front in the price of the car. If they charged an extra $1000 for the Wee, they could probably throw in free servicing!

I doubt my Wee will ever see the inside of a dealership unless it breaks so badly I can't fix it. Almost all the normal service items are pretty easy to do at home. However I can see why some people would prefer to let a dealer adjust the valves.

If you are going to use a dealer and think Suzuki prices are high (which they are), just be glad you don't own a BMW or a Ducatti...
2011 Suzuki DL650A
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

According to the manual a 600-mile service call consists of oil and filter change and checking to see that idle speed is correct and no nuts and bolts are loose. The latter could be performed in five minutes including time out for a cigarette break. How anyone can charge $250 for that is beyond me.

$50 maybe...but $250 is preposterous by any reasonable measure.

I'm all for supporting dealerships and small businesses, and I buy parts and supplies at a local shop whenever possible even when the cost is higher than online suppliers. But loyalty is a two-way street. My loyalty stops at the first gouge mark, and this is a deep one.

Others may feel differently. That's cool.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

He's inquiring about a 4000 mile service i believe, not the 600.
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
Old 11-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Ok, then you can leave out the oil filter. Incredibly (I had never looked closely at the maintenance schedule before) the manual calls for oil filter replacement only at 600 and 11,000 (!) miles. Oil changes are more frequent, of course.
So $250 looks even worse now.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
According to the manual a 600-mile service call consists of oil and filter change and checking to see that idle speed is correct and no nuts and bolts are loose. The latter could be performed in five minutes including time out for a cigarette break. How anyone can charge $250 for that is beyond me.

$50 maybe...but $250 is preposterous by any reasonable measure.

I'm all for supporting dealerships and small businesses, and I buy parts and supplies at a local shop whenever possible even when the cost is higher than online suppliers. But loyalty is a two-way street. My loyalty stops at the first gouge mark, and this is a deep one.

Others may feel differently. That's cool.
Quote:
Ok, then you can leave out the oil filter. Incredibly (I had never looked closely at the maintenance schedule before) the manual calls for oil filter replacement only at 600 and 11,000 (!) miles. Oil changes are more frequent, of course.
So $250 looks even worse now.
So you are trying to say that the bike needs no service whatsoever at 4000 miles and only an oil and filter change and idle adjustment at 600 miles?
Im sure you arent but what you say makes it sound that way.
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

It's all in the owner's manual I think, but I was consulting the factory service manual for the info. And yes, that's what I am saying. In fact, the 600-mile check includes two potentially important things -- TB synch and steering check -- which are not required again at 4000. Everything else at 4000 is "inspect" or "tighten" which may be interpreted as "service" but certainly takes little time and effort and no parts. In the final analysis that 4000-mile service amounts to an oil (but not filter) change and a quick inspection of a few components that can be done with a wrench or even by eye. Or quite possibly ignored altogether.

So I repeat: $250 is ridiculous for this service unless the oil they use costs $80/qt.

It's just my opinion. Any and all should feel free to reject it.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Strange stuff. I was at a Suzuki dealer a few weeks ago inquiring about this and the manager did pull out a Suzuki document that showed a number of things that were to be checked or adjusted. I don't recall what he quoted cost wise, he did allow that some things can be skipped (in his opinion) and somewhat lower the cost.
I have no idea where my owner's manual is so can't consult that.
I don't want to sound disbelieving and I'm certainly not at all saying you are untruthful. I do find it hard to believe that there is any manufacturer in the world that doesn't call for any service inspections and adjustments for nearly 11k miles save a couple oil changes and throttle body synch. It doesn't even make sense intuitively.
No checking of chain adjustment or lubrication?
No checking of cables?
No checking of tires and brakes for wear?
I think if I were a person who needed to use a Suzuki dealer for service I would go to the shop as someone suggested, see what they propose to do at a 4k service, nail down a price then do some comparing.
Myself I have an independent shop down the street that I have do my serivce if I don't care too and I know they would not charge $250. In fact they did what amounted to a 15k on my friends 05 with 50 k, valve inspection included and only charged $150.
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

You misunderstand, or maybe I wasn't clear. I noted that some items like brakes and cables are inspected, but no service is performed if not needed (and I'll bet you pay extra when it is). I do not consider inspection to be service, since it requires no adjustments or parts.

Hell, the 28-point (or whatever) inspection you get FREE when you take your car in for a $25 oil change is vastly more comprehensive than the one the OP's Suzuki dealer wants $250 for. Am I the only one to note this?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
You misunderstand, or maybe I wasn't clear. I noted that some items like brakes and cables are inspected, but no service is performed if not needed (and I'll bet you pay extra when it is). I do not consider inspection to be service, since it requires no adjustments or parts.

Hell, the 28-point (or whatever) inspection you get FREE when you take your car in for a $25 oil change is vastly more comprehensive than the one the OP's Suzuki dealer wants $250 for. Am I the only one to note this?

Perhaps so. Without seeing it my first impression is that $250 is a lot without seeing some other justification for it. I would be shopping around.
I think until there is a Jiffy Lube for bikes you're not going to see a lot of change in how its done. I'm not sure I want to see a Jiffy Lube for bikes, a lot of those 'inspections' they do are designed to find something that they can sell you a service for, I'm sure you're quite aware of that. Its also a fact that they have it down when it comes to being able to inspect something on a car, such as an air filter, right out there on a car, usually buried on a bike.
Most people who have been riding bikes for a long time, I have over 40 years in at it, are going to do a lot of their maintenance or find someone who will do what they don't want to do.
There is a vast difference between someone who has never owned a bike and may not be particularly mechanical trying to do their own maintenance. The idea of people just taking to their new bike with nothing more than a the manual it came with or a service manual that may or may not be clearly written makes me kind of nervous.
Its unfortunate that there is not something like a basic motorcycle maintenance course offered to owners of new bikes. Its kind of critical stuff, even such a thing as understanding that tires need to be checked regularly, more so than a car. Understanding what 'free play' in your clutch cable is and should be like.
In case you're wondering I'm not trying to argue with you about the cost of the service, I think it sounds high as well.
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.